What a disappointing race!

Home Forums Horse Racing What a disappointing race!

This topic contains 165 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Salselon 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 166 total)
  • Author

Salselon
    • Total Posts 934

Neptune Collonges proximity says it all.

Well done Denman though.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3176

The staying race that was expected never looked to have materialised, that looked really slow, almost like denman had first run but still thought Kauto would have picked up better, has kauto just explained that massive drfit the other week?

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4724

Completely disagree. Neptune Collonges has always had the potential to be a 170+ chaser given that sort of test of stamina. A fabulous race.

Salselon
    • Total Posts 934

Must add Denman did jump very, very well. Powerhouse.

Was it me or did he look to be tiring in the run in?

Salselon
    • Total Posts 934

Completely disagree. Neptune Collonges has always had the potential to be a 170+ chaser given that sort of test of stamina. A fabulous race.

So, you think NC should be that close to Kauto Star? Please.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1215

Disagree I thought it was brilliant. Denman just cracked Kauto Star. We have some of the best horses around now over fences that we’ve ever seen or ever will see. Denman – what can you say.

1 2 3 for Paul Nicholls.

Finally well done and a big thankyou to Paul Barber, Harry Findlay and Clive Smith for not ducking the issue.

Thanks guys for giving us the occasion of a lifetime.

graysonscolumn
    graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7112

A great race, but maybe not a wholly conclusive event.

As you say, Bulwark, they didn’t appear to go off especially hard early on, but rather than Kauto potentially having something on him, I think a distinct lack of fluency from a fairly early stage – certainly before the pace was increased – always had him having too much to do.

All set for a rematch, I think!

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Seventy Four
    Participant
    • Total Posts 157

Well so much for all the hype.

I think it confirms what I have always thought – this present bunch of steeplechasers is nothing special.

Expecting flames, but don’t care. :lol:

RichK
    RichK
    Participant
    • Total Posts 202

That race was always going to be disappointing, compared to the anticipation (I’m not saying the race was over hyped, just that it was so anticipated).

As a Kauto fan, I feel a bit deflated but by God, what a festival – Inglis Drever, Master Minded and Denman.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4724

Kauto Star didn’t jump well enough to be at his best but he’s still probably run to something in the mid 170’s IMO.

Maxilon 5
    Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2620

They’re both back safe and the best horse won. A great race I thought. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Gazs Way De Solzen
    Gazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2498

Denman did to Kauto Star there what Denman did to the field in the Hennessy.

Kauto Star has never had a horse of the ability, power and jumping prowess to lead them around the track. Kauto Star has had things his own way a lot of the time.

This time round, Denman has been put at the front for the second lap, which has tested Kauto Star, tested him properly for one of the first times i can remember, i.e. not having things his own way and having another horse dictating events to him, and he has had too much in the locker for Kauto Star, at the end of the day.

Denman has performed to his strengths here, has got Kauto Star struggling in the same vane that he had the Hennessy field struggling at Newbury, and there was nothing that could be done.

Denman is an excellent horse, today has showed that.

Ken1
    • Total Posts 83

The way Denman was jumping and travelling, Kauto Star needed to jump fluently to compete. He didn’t.

Both looked to be tired on the run in, Denman may have started to idle. Neptune Collonges appeared to be relishing the ground. Glad Kauto got 2nd though.

Nice race to watch.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1215

Kauto Star didn’t jump well enough to be at his best but he’s still probably run to something in the mid 170’s IMO.

The conditions are a lot slower this year and Sam Thomas upped the gallop mid race on Denman and kept going and going, brilliant ride. It was a war of attrition and Kauto couldn’t cope. To finish second I thought was as a hell of a run considering he wasn’t ridden for second and tracked Denman a few lengths off all the way.

Racing is the winner today.

Drone
    Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5119

Spot on DJ. Neptune Collonges is young, progressive and unexposed. No great surprise he ran a good race.

Personally I thought Denman was superb, and initially I’m loath to criticise Kauto one jot

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 166 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.