Weighing in overweight

Home Forums Horse Racing Weighing in overweight

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  thewexfordman 1 year ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

droffats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 474

Yesterday at Aintree Killian Moore weighed in 2lb overweight on Forza Milan at 10st 1lb having weighed out at 9st 13lb. It was put down to a drink of water.
    I haven’t ridden a race horse but I would imagine it’s damned hard work and you would be expected to maybe lose a pound through sweating.
    So my question is how much water has he drunk to weigh in over.
    I find it incredible that he only got a 3 day ban as effectively carrying overweight that punters backing do not know about.
    Personally imo the ban should be a lot longer as this happens too often and yet little is said about it.

MarkTT
    MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2308

The drink of water excuse made me laugh.

Love this sport but quite often it’s “ comical “ in its ineptitude or brazen with its deceit

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2104

1 litre of fresh water = 1 kilo

1 kilo = 2.2 pounds

http://www.onlineconversion.com/waterweight.htm

so in UK metrics 2 pounds of water is about 1.6 pints.

if his internal water content was the only cause of the increase, humans normally expel water through breath, digestion and sweat, so you would need to add all those factors back in for that individual between his weighings to work out how much more than the 1.6 pints he actually consumed. it was a 3m 1/2f hurdle race on Good/Soft, so maybe at least 2 pints inward ?

hope he’s minding his electrolytes:
    http://www.military.com/military-fitness/weight-loss/does-water-affect-weight

droffats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 474

Thanks wit, he must have been thirsty to down 2 pints after weighing out to going out to ride poor love.
    It’s disgraceful really and the stewards should question that more rather than just accepting what he said.

Purwell
    Purwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 588

I cannot understand how this is possible.
    Did he somehow fiddle the scales when weighing out?

Tonge
    Tonge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 748

Matt Griffiths is also reported as weighing in overweight on Melodic Rendezvous on Saturday

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 904

This is where stewards are very poor in just accepting the excuse of those involved. The 3 pounds needs to be accounted for. Was the scales dodgy? Or Perhaps when he weighed back in he was heavier due to a small drink plus maybe boots and silks covered in mud? Plus maybe the saddle absorbed some sweat from the horse?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.