Unwin Vic

Home Forums Horse Racing Unwin Vic

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  moehat 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7653

Did anyone watch the 17.20 bumper at Exeter yesterday won by Unwin Vic; was virtually uncontrollable at the start of the race but the jockey managed to settle him at the back and he won easily. One of the rides of the season thus far imo. Not sure how good the race was but I’m certainly going to keep an eye on him. He was quite a steamer before the off so must have a bit of a reputation at home.

LostSoldier3
    LostSoldier3
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1739

Yes moe – very well bred too. Incredible performance and looks a lovely big strong chasing type.

I wonder if old Bobby Buckler will be able to hold on to him, expect the owners are receiving offers already.

Middle_Of_March
    Middle_Of_March
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2021

Just watched the race. Incredible performance after pulling as hard as I’ve ever seen in the first two furlong.

Opened at 11/1 and was backed into 15/2 at the off. Apparently he was 40/1 the night before. Must have been working superbly at home to have a market move like that.

One to watch for sure

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7653

40/1! I backed him at 11.30 and he was in to 16/1 then . Had gone out so didn’t listen to the race live; would have been quite exciting to listen to!

JJMSports
    JJMSports
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1978

Yes; I backed the runner-up at 20s!

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8298

Just to clarify, the horse’s name is Unwin VC.

You can see the closing stages (For now at least) on the following page, second video down:-

https://www.racinguk.com/news/richard-hoiles-tuesday-tips-lose-yourself-in-emenem-without-his-50-cents

Unwin VC is a big, somewhat ungainly mover and will improve if settling better and learning to use his physical assets. How nimble he would be as a hurdler is clearly something of a question for now but there is plenty to work on moving forward,

The Racing Post gave Unwin VC 106 for that win. To put that figure into some perspective, last year’s Cheltenham Bumper winner Fayonagh earned 102 for her first race for Gordon Elliott (Incredibly in retrospect going off at 33/1 in winning it)

Dato Star was awarded 114 in his debut and Moon Racer scored a RPR of 118 when kicking his career off winning at 50/1 in a 50 grand sales bumper at Fairyhouse.

Certainly seems worth keeping an eye on Unwin VC.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

GoldenMiller34
    GoldenMiller34
    Participant
    • Total Posts 907

You can read about the person after whom the horse is named here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Unwin

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7653

Thanks guys; should’ve gone to specsavers [in fact, I am going there on Monday but for a NHS hearing test!]. Currently reading ‘Dawn till Dusk’ and one of the stable staff featured said that it was much easier to deal with a slightly lazy type of horse than one that wouldn’t settle, so it’ll be interesting to see what happens with this lad.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.