Too much Christmas sherry . . . .

Home Forums Horse Racing Too much Christmas sherry . . . .

This topic contains 17 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by paulostermeyer paulostermeyer 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    paulostermeyer
    paulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4705

for the stewards at Chepstow.

Maurice Linehan gets five days for whip use on Palace Jester and a further 10 days in the same race for not riding out the finish.
    I cannot see what was wrong with Lineham’s ride at the finish – a very odd decision there – damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

betlarge
    betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2655

The two offences need to be seperated. Firstly, Linehan strikes the horse too many times hence the first ban. As a second offence, at approximately 15-20 yards from the line, he stops riding and is nailed on the post. This is a seperate issue.

Claire Balding rather wilfully described this as something like "being banned for hitting the horse too many times, then banned for NOT hitting the horse enough". That is ridiculous.

If you are leading a race and stop riding near the end and then get caught, you will get a ban. What you have done with the whip during the race is irrelevant. The stewards are NOT asking you to whip the horse more, they are asking you to ride it out.

I have some sympathy in this case in that the period of ‘non-riding’ was pretty short and it

may

not have made a difference. But as the end result was a DH, it may well have done.

In my mind there is no confusion here. It’s just like a jockey getting a double penalty for a whip offence and weighing in light on the same horse.

Mike

paulostermeyer
    paulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4705

I must admit I had not seen the BBC shots of him dropping his hands, from the naked eye and our vantage point the ride looked to be OK.

I don’t think the hand dropping impacted the result though and the punishment is a tad harsh.

ricky lake
    ricky lake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2413

Where can one find out the officials at chepstow today , I am really interested to see who was the judge

help on this please

thanks

Ricky

paulostermeyer
    paulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4705

Where can one find out the officials at chepstow today , I am really interested to see who was the judge

help on this please

thanks

Ricky

The judge was Nick Bostock Ricky

yeats
    yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2872

I think what probably happened was the lad probably had a lapse of concentration due to having to try and remember how many times he used his whip instead of concentrating on his riding.
    Wouldn’t be surprised if these whip rules don’t cause injury to horse and/or rider at some point.

Zamorston
    Zamorston
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1120

Looking forward to Ginger’s thoughts on this subject! :wink:

Seem to remember this being a jockey Ginger kept referring to as one who was doing excellent in races by sticking to the rules…..not that easy is it?

Beaten in the finish by the jockey I started a thread about a while ago aswell who copped a ban after what I thought was a great effort….

KINGFISHER
    KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1524

Seem to remember this being a jockey Ginger kept referring to as one who was doing excellent in races by sticking to the rules…..not that easy is it?

I was p*ssin myself Zam when i realised it was Gingers great white hope! I’ll call 999 now…..Ginger Police please….Give him at least an hour to turn up! :shock:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7650

Is that what’s known as a dichotomy? [where’s Pinza when y’need him….]

Kenh
    Kenh
    Participant
    • Total Posts 761

As has been said they were two different offences. He dropped his hands before the finish. It may have been close to the line but as it was a dead heat it could well have made the difference. It was hard to see straight away and I think the stewards deserve full credit for picking it up.

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 913

Is that what’s known as a dichotomy? [where’s Pinza when y’need him….]

Pinza seems to have gone to ground completely. From writing several posts an hour on all manner of things, mainly whip-related, every day for seemingly weeks, he has now apparently not even written anything on his own specially set-up blog since December 4.
    I have just had another look and the last item seems to be the Grand Sefton article on December 4, unless I am doing something wrong. I can’t understand it. What’s happened to him?
    I can’t see the point of setting up your own blog after being thrown off this forum and then not writing anything for so long.
    You would have thought he would be relishing churning it out unfettered.
    He did say on his blog previously that it was pressure of theatrical work that was limiting his output. Surely he must have had work on before when he was firing off all those angry posts to various people. It’s all very strange, darlings, loves….

Anonymous
    • Total Posts 18146

Isn’t it pantomime season? :twisted:

ricky lake
    ricky lake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2413

Thank you Paul , was just wondering if you would include such info on your excellent reportages

cheers

Ricky

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24494

I was p*ssin myself Zam when i realised it was Gingers great white hope! I’ll call 999 now…..Ginger Police please….Give him at least an hour to turn up! :shock:

Maurice is one of the most promising young conditionals around. Excellent style and strength. Shame he went too far this time, but he’ll learn. Everyone makes mistakes and this was not his finest hour. Am sure Maurice wouldn’t exactly "p*ss himself" but instead p*ss on you Fisher, if he thought you were taking such delight at his misfortune.
    Sadly Linehan deserves the bans. Hit the horse too many times. I don’t know if BBC commentary was also the course commentary? But Jim "Croc" McGrath had another nightmare. Suggesting Palace Jester was going to win fairly easily, only to change as they came to the post. Was Maurice listening to the commentary and dropped his hands? Jockey’s momentary lapse visable on the BBC replay and was surprised they did not pick it up.

value is everything
    Hurdygurdyman
    Hurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1574

Failed to ride out a finish? the stewards are of their rockers

He was right on top of the winning post not even a full second from crossing the line> horses own momentum never stopped until he was well past the post. I’d be appealing that one for sure.

Worst ride of the day and someone who should have been banned was Ritchie McGrath. I backed Trustan Times for a place only and was happy with the result so this is not pocket talk.

He held the horse up in last place and he made a few jumping errors which was fair enough but his total lack of effort from before the second last until he cleared the last was shocking.

He looked like a terrified of falling off schoolboy and had someone like Dougie Costello had been on that horse I swear he’d have won.

Call it incompetence if you like but there is no way that horse was ridden to gain the best possible position and being a jockey who lacks bottle is no excuse for breaking the rules.

If I had like many did backed him to win I’d be absolutely livid.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.