The Ladbroke 2008

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion The Ladbroke 2008

This topic contains 43 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Bulwark 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2967

You don’t half talk some tripe mate- why not take advantage of a mark like 147 giving away weight to inferiors rather than taking on the cracks at this stage? And as for him not being fit- would you run your best hurdler half-fit under 11-12 in a competitive handicap? Gimme a break!

Carv this is not being smart after the fact but I have been long enough at this game to realise you don’t run Champion Hurdle prospects in Handicaps….What I would do is irrelevant…….if you are so naive you think the Pipes give a rats ass about running horses unfit toget them down in the handicap then gawd love you mate….see a shrink.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24175

You don’t half talk some tripe mate- why not take advantage of a mark like 147 giving away weight to inferiors rather than taking on the cracks at this stage? And as for him not being fit- would you run your best hurdler half-fit under 11-12 in a competitive handicap? Gimme a break!

Carv this is not being smart after the fact but I have been long enough at this game to realise you don’t run Champion Hurdle prospects in Handicaps.…What I would do is irrelevant…….if you are so naive you think the Pipes give a rats ass about running horses unfit toget them down in the handicap then gawd love you mate….see a shrink.

Make A Stand, Rooster Booster, Sizing Europe, Osana, Punjabi…..

The list is endless Fist.

In many ways a handicap is an ideal trial for the Champion. The Champion is usually truly run. Most condition hurdles are slowly run where as handicaps are usually truly run.

Form of the Pipe yard is in and out, to say the least. That may have something to do with his poor (ish) run.

Mark

value is everything

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2967

Well done Marb great price made byAIglewho flopped again.Numide willlbe winning againand special mention to Peruvian whosurely must have had his balls on him after saying he could be a CH horse

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3176

Definitely wouldnt describe Carvs as naive fists, his strike rate speaks for itself.

This race was all about trying to guage horse progression, and many had Ashkazar down as being much better than the form he had shown to date. The thing with horse progression is sometimes you will be right and sometimes not, I know…

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2847

OK Mr Fist, so my horse is still running. To suggest that Pipe is trying to get him better handicapped is entering fantasy land, though, even for you. Plan A for Ashkazar was the Champion and he needed to go close today off what they thought was a good mark to come into the reckoning for that. The only reason he’ll be given another chance over hurdles is if an excuse comes to light- if not plan B is that he’ll be jumping fences early in the New Year.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2967

I’ve never thought he was a Champion Hurdle horse but we know Osnana is and perhaps Alk will go chasing. I’m not trying to out do you on this it’s just the Pipes they are very very shrewd people and you can bet your backside he ran as well as expected yesterday forgetting he was eased and finished last which means nothing. Not saying they stopped him what am saying he wouldn’t be on song and they probably knew that..

We know the horse is way better than that and they will have something in mind for him……the damn thing will probably come out and win the Tote Gold Trophy carryine top weight or something like that when we least expect it.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2967

Carv this is not being smart after the fact but I have been long enough at this game to realise you don’t run Champion Hurdle prospects in Handicaps.…What I would do is irrelevant…….if you are so naive you think the Pipes give a rats ass about running horses unfit toget them down in the handicap then gawd love you mate….see a shrink.

Make A Stand, Rooster Booster, Sizing Europe, Osana, Punjabi…..

The list is endless Fist.

In many ways a handicap is an ideal trial for the Champion. The Champion is usually truly run. Most condition hurdles are slowly run where as handicaps are usually truly run.

Form of the Pipe yard is in and out, to say the least. That may have something to do with his poor (ish) run.

Mark

I stand corrected Ginge even Persian War run in the Schweppes and won it as did Make A stand…I forgot the Greatwood is also a handicap that attracts Champion Hurdle horses…….But horses progress from Handicap Hurdles to Trials or like some they win Champion Hudlre without running in trials.

However surely the horse in question did all that last season and had Pipe thought he was truly a CH horse he would have ran him in something like the Fighting Fifth.

As I said to Carv Matin/David Pipe are very shrewd and they will have something lined up………not the CH but some big prze when the cash will be down……….bet you backside it wasn’t there money on Saturday.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3327

Blowing Wind – the greatest of the Pipe gambles :)

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2967

Imperial Gold Cup wasn’t it? Same as this fellow.

Not that it means anything.

Gambling was the name of the game and without it Martin Pipe would never have been Champion Trainer…..hundreds of owners flocked there to put a horse with him and try and get in on the action……….

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24175

If Pipe thought Ashkazar was well handicapped why go for a Fighting Fifth or Boylesports when a big handicap prize was easier?

I wonder if Ashkazar is a little temperamental, does he sulk sometimes when unable to see the front?

Mark

value is everything
    Gerald
    Gerald
    • Total Posts 4465

I wonder if Ashkazar is a little temperamental, does he sulk sometimes when unable to see the front?

Mark

Wasn’t Ashkazar the one the commentator said would be settled at the back, because he doesn’t like horses behind him?

If he doesn’t like horses behind him, and he doesn’t like horses in front of him . . .

Gazs Way De Solzen
    Gazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2498

Mark

Wasn’t Ashkazar the one the commentator said would be settled at the back, because he doesn’t like horses behind him?

If he doesn’t like horses behind him, and he doesn’t like horses in front of him . . .

No, that was Numide.

Who has to be kept with cows at home, as he attacks other horses, apparently.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1616

Maybe, but I certainly wouldn’t bank on that being the reason he ran so badly. The fact he missed the Greatwood when (IIRC) that had been his target all through the summer speaks volumes to me, especially if you were to tie it in with the general poor form of the Pipe yard at the time.

Colin Little
    • Total Posts 343

I wouldn’t write off Ashkazar yet. I’ve got a hunch that decent ground and a suitable track may be the key to him, and of course when D.Pipe wants him to. I could see him turning up at Wincanton or Aintree and running well on good ground. Or it may be they are even considering the Imperial Cup/Cheltenham double for him (as he seems to like Sandown).

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.