Dante 2018

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Dante 2018

This topic contains 21 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Nausered 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    follyhoog
    follyhoog
    Participant
    • Total Posts 210

In a very open Dante this year with Roaring Lion excuses mounting up i really believe this is Godolphin’s best… BEST ever chance of winning a Derby and getting in to the Galileo bloodline to Date Nordic Lights although only making his racecourse appearance early march with very little form to go on his clock speed is saying his good and he looks like a derby horse he looks very professional for his lack of experience he came from behind on debut very green then raced up with he pace on his latest start looking as if it was racecourse gallop easily hands and heels he will no doubt stay a derby trip and i think he will win this going away today big statement i guess but i’m used to having egg in my face :good: my money is down :good:

jackh1092
    jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 915

I was actually coming round to James Cook on the basis that he will improve a lot for his run like a lot of O’Brien’s do.

Like US Navy Seal, one bad run and people jump the gun “he hasn’t trained on” etc.

However, looking at his past record in the race, suggests the horse he sends here don’t improve as much as necessary..

I am looking forward to Wells Farhh Go, but i think he’ll need the run.

The one for me would be Mildenberger.

Haven’t bet yet mind you.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Degaussed
    Degaussed
    Participant
    • Total Posts 547

Mildenburger looks good, and should be even better over this sort of trip. I was surprised he was available at 9/2 so he’ll do for me.

KevMcAlley
    KevMcAlley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 569

Merlin Magic e/w

Won the Esher Cup very well on his first run of this season and his action looks like he’ll enjoy the quick ground. Looks like there’s a pile more to come and with SDS onboard again I couldn’t refuse the 16-20s on offer.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by KevMcAlley KevMcAlley.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1073

That has French Derby written all over it – he still shifted left when clear and you would worry about him coming down the camber at Epsom which naturally means a horse will drift left down to the rail.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 469

I used to have total respect for J Murtagh but to say Roaring Lion is a well balanced horse made for Epsom is a not so wise assessment to me.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  Mike007.
    follyhoog
    follyhoog
    Participant
    • Total Posts 210

Well 😥 I cant believe it was the same horse :mail: :unsure: :unsure: shocking

Degaussed
    Degaussed
    Participant
    • Total Posts 547

Roaring Lion AGAIN drifted left today, only not as violently as at Newmarket last season but he drew it out over the final furlong. I would have slight concerns about him going right-handed around Chantilly, but when he’s a confirmed runner for the French Derby he’s a strong favourite.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8298

Typical, I take a break from punting and the 15/8 opener Roaring Lion goes out to 3/1 and dots up.

Still, it was a compliment to the Guineas.

I’m going cold turkey until Royal Ascot but couldn’t understand how Roaring Lion was 3/1 and Mildenberger 7/2, especially with Mark Johnston in the equation. Mildenberger had 9 lbs to find with Roaring Lion today and Kew Gardens didn’t do a lot for the Feilden form in the Lingfield Derby Trial.

For me, there was a lot of dross in that Dante today James Cook would be the O’Brien 7th string at best and Crossed Baton, like Corelli, just never convinced me at all as being the usual sort of quality Gosden would bring.

I think Johnny Murtagh is off the mark with his comments. Great jockeys don’t often make good pundits and Johnny is not my favourite to listen to.

John Gosden paid a strong compliment to Saxon Warrior, declaring that the Derby favourite had looked “Imperious” in the Guineas. I wouldn’t take it as a given that Roaring Lion will go to Epsom.

It takes a stretch of the imagination for me to see Roaring Lion reverse form with Saxon Warrior in the Derby. Quite what the Guineas winner would have done to that field today is impossible to predict with total confidence but leaving them looking like smashed guitars in a swimming pool is probably a reasonable image.

Still cant get over 3/1 today, with 8 lbs in hand over his field and a good Guineas run behind him. Trusting Mark Johnston to save you over John Gosden is probably akin to choosing a lettuce leaf as a shield, instead of the Walls Of Jericho.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5311

RL was slightly keen early but Murphy got him switched off, and if he can do the same at Epsom, it should be a cracking 3rd meeting between him and Saxon Warrior.

That leftward move he made seemed to be in response to Murphy letting go his head and riding with one rein. As soon as he puts both hands back on the reins close home the horse corrects almost immediately. Epsom will be far from ideal on that front, but he might just be getting better with experience.

He seems very honest and would have steamed through the line today had the jock not eased down. He was still pointing his toe for a while afterwards and seemed to travel a long way before pulling up. I’d like to see what he’d do if rousted to top speed and then ridden vigorously hands and heels.

Whatever happens, he’s made the Derby a fascinating one and, given Saxon Warrior’s 2-0 score over him, if the latter does indeed improve substantially for the step up in trip, it could make for a scintillating performance from the big horse at Epsom.

Despite RL’s displays so far, given the choice as to which will act best at Epsom, I’d go for the Gosden horse. Whether he’s good enough is another matter but had he not hung in the Racing Post Trophy, I think we’d be looking at a decider at Epsom. He’s much less straightforward than the O’Brien horse, which could be to his advantage if the penny has now dropped with him.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Nausered
    Participant
    • Total Posts 369

I can’t see him winning at Epsom, he’ll be all over the place and rolling into the rail in the last 2f.

He done me a turn in the placepot though, but not as much as P J on the Johnston horse in the 5.05! I needed The Gosden 2yo to get top three to get the placepot up for £10. The Godolphin fav was nailed on for third, until he had to snatch up in the last furlong due to P J’s horse drifting across the track, and a 20-1 shot beat the heavy fav for third.

I was praying they would not disqualify the Johnston horse in the enquiry. The placepot paid £547 (for a quid) without that fav in the places… It would have paid considerably less if they chucked the winner out.

Thank you P J, you owed me that, for not going fast enough on Laurens in the 1000 :good:

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1821

We knew going into the guineas RL was not a miler, the step up today was the making of him, i dont see epsom being an issue either, SW is way, way to short for the derby, i know hes won the relative trials, but i always question when a horse wins a guineas so well how theyll take the step up, id much rather a horse that finished around the mark and needs stepped up, will SW appreciate the step up? Probably, connections are bullish…. will he appreciate it more than RL?? who knows…. SW is totally unbackable at the price atm, like joe sais, its made it facinating, not certain ittl be 3-0 if they both make it.

Dont see why they would swerve epsom atall, the french derby would suit this horse less.

Middle_Of_March
    Middle_Of_March
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2001

Without aftertiming, I had Roaring Lion in a multiple today so watched him throughout the race.

Iwas very impressed by how he travelled. He looked so calm as though he’d matured. Looked a completely different horse to the one that ran so weirdly in the Craven. However, he has undoubtedly got me left under pressure at the end there and that is a huge negative for Epsom. Will he handle the camber? I don’t know. I can understand why he’s shortened but I still think my fella (Young Rascal) is the bigggest danger to Saxon Warrior.

I happen to think it’s a decent race this year. I think the crop of middle distance horses are superior to the milers this time around for sure.

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7194

That’s more like the Roaring Lion I have been waiting to see since The Craven Meeting…not quite as straight as a gun barrel as Ed Chamberlin stated before his path home was illustrated with a dotted line in tbe post race discussion on ITV..curbing first to the left and then right…but what a performance…well done himself and all who backed him today.

I hope he takes his chances in The Derby, he’s improving with every run. :good:
    The Lion is back :yahoo:
    Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    KevMcAlley
    KevMcAlley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 569

Ham – Saxon is bred to be a Derby horse and because he wins a Guineas well going through the line he isn’t proven to be suited by it but RL who is bred to be a 8-10F horse could enjoy the step up more?

Odds are clouding judgement here I feel.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.