THE BEATLES OR THE ROLLING STONES?

Home Forums Lounge THE BEATLES OR THE ROLLING STONES?

This topic contains 51 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Seven Towers Seven Towers 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1072

Black music, whether you like it or not, has been far more influential and original over the past 25 years or so than white rock music IMO

Hip hop, rap, garage, house are all new sounds that have broken new ground. Im not keen on some elements, but the white rock music i sometimes suffer sounds little different to stuff trotted out in the seventies and eighties. Same old format and droning guitars. Having said that, not much has really happened in black music in more recent times

graysonscolumn
    graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7112

Having said that, not much has really happened in black music in more recent times

Grime. Dubstep. Even speed garage or drum ‘n’ bass, if you want to go back a few more years. Ringbang, too, in the West Indies.

There’s still tons happening, it’s just that lots of it is happening outside of the mainstream’s immediate line of vision.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Drone
    Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5127

Ringbang, too, in the West Indies.

Yep, well acquainted with that. Also known as Montezuma’s Revenge or The Trini Quickstep :lol:

aaronizneez
    aaronizneez
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1661

Ringbang, too, in the West Indies.

Yep, well acquainted with that. Also known as Montezuma’s Revenge or The Trini Quickstep :lol:

:mrgreen:

cormack15
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9977

I am a big fan of the Kinks but musically they don’t have anything like the depth of the Beatles.

The Beach Boys however are a different kettle of fish. Brian Wilson is one of those to whom the label ‘genius’ can be justly applied and, for me, they would rank closer to the Beatles than the Rolling Stones in the pantheon of greats. The Kinks would struggled for a top ten placing.

As for Sex Pistols Vs Joy Division. Tricky one that. These days I’d much rather sit and listen to Closer than Never Mind The Bollocks BUT Pretty Vacant was a song that changed my life so it’s tricky.

The Clash or The Jam? Now that is a really tough call.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2420

Of the 60’s bands, The Doors were hugely innovative – more so than any other band apart from The Beatles, I’d say.

Himself
    Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3807

Although I highlighted The Kinks, and still rate them very highly, I do ( I must reiterate ) prefer The Beatles.

Sex Pistols ( although I did buy the debut album back in the day; and it is verygood ) V Joy Division.

Don’t even go there. :roll: Not even a contest. Joy Division – by a country mile.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Drone
    Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5127

Of the 60’s bands, The Doors were hugely innovative – more so than any other band apart from The Beatles, I’d say.

Agreed more-or-less. Love ’em to death

There was an excellent BBC4 documentary recently on Jim Morrison, by the remaining members of the group amongst others, with much emphasis on the jaw-dropping reception the ground-breaking eponymous first album received.

Like the Beatles, they produced a rapid succession of top-notch albums and the music therein remains fresh and undated

As for The Jam mentioned by Cormack, can’t say I went too overboard about them though will always have a soft spot for them thanks to the truly wunnerful acoustic version of ‘That’s Entertainment’ and in particular the line:

two lovers missing the tranquility of solitude

Himself
    Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3807

… and with which song did The Doors blatantly rip-off one of The Kinks’ 60s hit? :shock:

plagiarists ! :shock:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Drone
    Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5127

‘All Day and All of the Night’ or ‘You Really Got Me’ – both either or neither

Hello, I love you H :)

my sweet lord

cormack15
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9977

Funny the Doors should crop up. ‘Touch Me’ was on Radio yesterday and it’s a pretty clever piece of music. They were a very good band.

Nafsasp
    Nafsasp
    • Total Posts 99

The Kinks…

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1350

from a Teenybopper’s perspective – therefore nothing to do with technical merit here:-

I bought all the Stones and Beatles singles from ’63 to about ’68. The Beatles were more parent friendly I think, nice clean cut image managed by control freak Brian Epstein, whereas the Stones had young Andrew Loog Oldham who I remember fancying a little, he seemed like the group, a bit more wild.

Adults didn’t seem to object to The Beatles whereas The Stones, it was something like ”what is the world coming to?”…with stomping Jagger on Top of the Pops, long haired, effeminate and with a suspicion of make up….we just hadn’t had this before as kids, having suffered Sunday Nights at the London Palladium, Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson, or a young Helen Shapiro all the rage, otherwise just Cliff and the Shadows…well Cliff, not bad if a little weird, or Elvis but he seemed a bit old for me.

The Beach Boys promised something from a far off place none of us were ever likely to see, like 77 Sunset Strip….
    I preferred The Hollies….or The Searchers…

As for the early music, Love Me Do and Please Please Me were all cute enough but ‘Come On’ ‘I Wanna Be Your Man’ which both groups did, and ‘Not Fade Away’ seemed to be more what I was looking for and then the Stones really took off with ‘It’s All Over Now” and ‘The Last Time’ whereas the Beatles were still churning out ‘She Loves You [yeah, yeah yeah’], or ‘Ob la di Ob la da’….well I know which I preferred.

Most of my contemporaries, shockingly underage, I think would have dropped their drawers for any or all of the two groups, but only Paul McCartney’s photo found it’s way to my bedroom wall.
    Marianne Faithfull, who many of us wanted to look and be like, shocked me with her fur coat and drugs escapade with Keith Richards and that put me right off her…..and I felt there was nothing worse too than a drug stoned ‘Stone’…

By 1970 I was finished with the lot of them, John Lennon had mophed into Yoko Ono and Paul got married to someone I’d never heard of, so I was ready for glam rock and the arrival of ‘Abba’, who I would think would compare favourably to either group, if more for women than men.

Other highlights of the time:-
    Radio’s Caroline and Luxembourg, Jimmy Saville and Tommy Vance… Ready Steady Go….Anita Londesborough, Ann Packer, and if you recall any showjumping which my parents always seemed to have on the t.v…..Vibart [ooh…aah]……Merely A Monarch, Sunsalve [David Broome], Beethoven [Eddie Macken], The Rock [Piero d’Inzero]…so many more…Marion Coakes/Stroller….

The Byrds, Nashville Teens, PJ Proby, Billy Fury…..Anselmo?…
    those were the days…. we thought they’d never end :)

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7650

I remember Vibart and his ‘kick back’. Also remember wearing a black armband when the pirates were banned; that was a sad day. Did all the hippy stuff..giving flowers to people in the street..that’s when I dropped out to Cornwall. Unfortunately I dropped back in again. Seems like another lifetime, now.

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1350

…indeed it does but strangely I find it easier to recall events then, than I can remember what happened yesterday…. :)

…my parents always loved old Vibart.
    I don’t remember the armband business you mention….I think you embraced the period rather well by the sound of things :)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.