Stayers Hurdle 2018

Home Forums Cheltenham 2018 Stayers Hurdle 2018

This topic contains 185 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by KevMcAlley KevMcAlley 11 hours, 43 minutes ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 181 through 186 (of 186 total)
  • Author
    KevMcAlley
    KevMcAlley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 73

I’m dizzy just reading how many times Ginge has run around in circles.

Steeple, Many Clouds had superior stamina. His threshold was higher than that of his opponents, it’s that simple as Voleur has been stating for the past 3-4 pages in my opinion.

The term ‘class’ or ‘classy’ I see as a horse that can perform to the same level regardless of trip, so basically a horse that can ADAPT his speed & stamina to suit the distance being run. Kauto Star being a perfect example.

Hope after all this that Supasundae wins the Stayers :yahoo:

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22632

With doubtful runner – Apples Jade.
    Disappointments last time out – Lil Rockerfeller, Unowhatimeanharry.
    Questionable temperament – Lami Serge.
    Unseen – Penhill.
    Needing to improve – Supasundae, Wholestone, Beer Goggles, The Worlds End, Thomas Campbell.
    Possible switchers – Yanworth, Yorkhill, Finians Oscar, Bacardys…
    …And Lami Serge could yet go the other way – to the Ryanair.
    Coming back from injury – Killultagh Vic…

Sam Winner has a lot going for him.

Lil Rockerfeller could still be the value, Mick Fitz said today that he wasn’t right after Ascot but will be fine come Cheltenham. The winner of last year’s Stayers Hurdle sadly isn’t with us anymore, third looks on the downgrade, fourth injured. Second, Lil Rockerfeller is 27/1 and has this season already beaten the horse that followed home Sam Spinner last time out – Lami Serge.

• This reply was modified 2 days, 6 hours ago by Gingertipster Gingertipster.
    value is everything
    Voleur
    Voleur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 547

Without wanting to drag the whole thing back up again, I think Istabraq illustrates my point about class very well.

On the flat, his lack of speed meant he was only a below-average handicapper, rated somewhere in the 80’s I believe. Therefore, it could not be said Istabraq was an inherently class horse, he certainly didn’t have this unfathomable something back then.

When stepped up to 2 miles however, the blend of speed and stamina that he had was ideal for that particular distance, allowing him to assert his class over his rivals. Class is relative, the correct blend of speed and stamina is required for a horse to be considered class in any one particular division.

As for the Stayers, I’ve given a lot of thought to taking the 12/1 NRNB on Bacardys. If he turns up, you would assume it’s because Penhill doesnt make it. If Penhill does make it and Bacardys still lines up, then they must believe Bacardys has him covered. We know he already has Finians Oscar covered, albeit over a shorter trip, but Bacardys looks the more stamina laden of the two to me.

Best case scenario Bacardys and Penhill both make it, Ruby chooses Bacardys eliminating any doubt as to where he stands in the pecking order, goes off 5/2 fav after strong market support. In other words I don’t believe Bacardys will line up and not be Willies firs string, if he doesn’t line up it’s money back.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22632

What point does “Istabraq illustrate”, Voleur?
    Istabraq wasn’t the easiest to keep sound in his early years and still had potential on the flat when sold. Timeform tipped him for the Ces’ that year. Bred to be a bloody good horse, indeed bred to be a Derby winner – By the best flat sire of his era Saddlers Wells (who was by Northern Dancer) out of Bettys Secret. Derby winner Secreto was by Northern Dancer out of Bettys Secret. Over hurdles Istabraq had different soundness, running in a different code with a different trainer; is it surprising he was a different animal?

Has anyone said that horses don’t improve? :unsure:
    You’re arguing that 2 + 2 = 4, we all know it = 4.

• This reply was modified 17 hours, 55 minutes ago by Gingertipster Gingertipster.
    value is everything
    Voleur
    Voleur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 547

You’ve missed my point entirely. It’s fine, we won’t open this can of worms again.

KevMcAlley
    KevMcAlley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 73

Bacardys being aimed here, Mullins confirmed to the media today.

• This reply was modified 11 hours, 43 minutes ago by KevMcAlley KevMcAlley. Reason: Typo
Viewing 6 posts - 181 through 186 (of 186 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.