St Leger 2017

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion St Leger 2017

This topic contains 147 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by Gingertipster Gingertipster 1 day, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 148 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 17003

Tartini 25/1

His two runs have screamed Leger, staying on strong in both
    His trainer has suggested he’s a Leger horse and has a good record in the race
    I’ve had a bash at the odds

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    The Ante-Post King
    The Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8810

Tartini 25/1

His two runs have screamed Leger, staying on strong in both
    His trainer has suggested he’s a Leger horse and has a good record in the race
    I’ve had a bash at the odds

Yes I agree Nath,Tartini clocked a time figure at Nottingham that suggests he’s a Group horse in the making.I thought ‘Derby’ but being related to ‘Lucarno’ you can bet his owner always thought the ‘Leger’ would be his target.For Gosden to run him in the Derby trial around Epsom did suggest he thought he could have been a player but even though he had a troubled run he wasn’t exactly flying at the finish…I’m just hoping he’s not another ‘Idaho’ or ‘Seville’,2 horses who cost me dearly in the St Leger.

CharlesOlney
    CharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 984

No chance of Churchill rolling up if he wins the Guineas & the Derby?

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6796

I did Venice Beach here at 50/1.

Normally the colts running here will be second raters taking on handicappers on the up. You are really looking for horses not quite good enough for the Derby races.

I was surprised to see South Seas and Lancaster Bomber in the betting for this race, as I don’t think either will even get 12F.

Venice Beach was third on his reappearance and then stepped up to 12F next time, winning by a shade over 5L. He’s still double carpet for the St Leger but if he can pick up and improve for stamina testing trips he may show up at Donny in September to face the fellow boats of his generation.

What's all the fuss about Estimate on the Racing Legends Stamps?

There's always been a second rate Mare on them anyway 😉

botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1352

Liked the look of Capri for this since last year. Ran ok first time out giving 5 lbs to the field in Ireland.Next port of call is Derrinstown Stud Derby Trial. I can certainly see him enter the Derby picture and not be disgraced in that either.

16’s to win

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3928

As you know Nath and Gord always saw TARTINI as a leger horse think that this always been right race for him

TheGun
    TheGun
    Participant
    • Total Posts 143

No chance of Churchill rolling up if he wins the Guineas & the Derby?

Not a chance that horse stays the Leger distance.

Middle_Of_March
    Middle_Of_March
    Participant
    • Total Posts 768

I’ve requested a price for GLENCADAM GLORY

He missed the break yet again at 28/1 in the Lingfield Derby trial before flying home for an eye catching second. Looks an ideal lever horse and am hoping for 40s or higher.

Will be going in if I get a fair price

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6796

I am happy with 50/1 Venice Beach. He’s generally 12/1 now.

The obvious concern is that he wins the Derby, in which case he’s not going to run in the Leger.

I think a staying on 4th or 5th at Epsom would see him potentially go the Voltiguer/St Leger route.

I was a bit disappointed by Tartini last time. He was hardly crying out for the St Leger trip, with his stable companion, the much bigger made colt Glencadam Glory, clearly outstaying him, after having missed the break.

If you watch the video here:-

http://www.attheraces.com/atrplayer-replay-popup/VOD/986795

The key phase of the race to focus on is from the 3F pole onwards. If you watch at that point you will see Tartini forge ahead of Glencadam Glory by a couple of lengths by the time they hit the 2F marker. However, between the 2F post and the 1F post, Tartini’s run starts to peter out slightly and the staying on Glencadam Glory has cut the deficit to only a length. With half a furlong to go, Glencadam Glory has reeled in Tartini and over the last 100 yards he scoots away by 3 lengths from Tartini.

Tartini was clearly weakening in my opinion and I don’t know how many times the race commentary writers put down a horse as having “Stayed on at one pace”, when it is clear that the horse is actually tiring.

Based on the Lingfield race, I would be all over Glencadam Glory as the horse to prefer the Leger distance to Tartini.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 17003

I have to agree Steve
    Tartini had a previous run and stepped up in trip so it was a very poor effort and very disappointing the way he finished his race with Gosden previously saying he was a Leger type.
    The winner was not far behind Tartini all the way around and Frankuss was ahead of affairs and finished next to Tartini so the pace of the race was fine and one which you’d have thought would help Tartini. What Frankie was doing looking over his shoulder is anyone’s guess, I think perhaps he dropped a pound coin out of his pocket and was half thinking of turning around to go pick it up. He also nearly gave up riding near the end and a little credit to the horse getting 3rd as Frankie gave not a lot of effort in the final half furlong.
    Glencadam Glory missed the break and is one to take out of the race but the pace was hot enough to favour the back runner in making ground late on but a very good run nonetheless.

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6796

I have to agree Steve
    Tartini had a previous run and stepped up in trip so it was a very poor effort and very disappointing the way he finished his race with Gosden previously saying he was a Leger type.
    The winner was not far behind Tartini all the way around and Frankuss was ahead of affairs and finished next to Tartini so the pace of the race was fine and one which you’d have thought would help Tartini. What Frankie was doing looking over his shoulder is anyone’s guess, I think perhaps he dropped a pound coin out of his pocket and was half thinking of turning around to go pick it up. He also nearly gave up riding near the end and a little credit to the horse getting 3rd as Frankie gave not a lot of effort in the final half furlong.
    Glencadam Glory missed the break and is one to take out of the race but the pace was hot enough to favour the back runner in making ground late on but a very good run nonetheless.

I was also puzzled by how many times Frankie was either looking between his legs, or over his shoulder. I thought perhaps the lemonade vendor kept shouting “Half price Coke” or something.

Tartini looks a bit of a tricky horse to place I think. Gosden said after the race that the colt will go to Royal Ascot for the Queen’s Vase. The Queen’s Vase was originally a Group 3 race, then Listed, then Group 3, then Listed again. Now it is up to Group 2 and reduced to 1m 6F from 2 miles. Despite all the tinkering, it’s always been a race for slow horses in my mind. Based on Tartini’s latest run, I would have no problem laying him over 2 furlongs further. Perhaps Gosden is adamant he is a Leger horse.

John Gosden stated that Glencadam Glory would be allowed to take his chance at Epsom. I have my doubt’s that the track will suit this big galloping colt. I would have thought he was a better candidate to go Queen’s Vase and St Leger.

Middle_Of_March
    Middle_Of_March
    Participant
    • Total Posts 768

He missed the break yet again at 28/1 in the Lingfield Derby trial before flying home for an eye catching second. Looks an ideal lever horse and am hoping for 40s or higher.

Bet365 have come back to me and offered 25s

I’ll have a look elsewhere to get him priced up

In the meanwhile, I’ve played the 25s and will be adding little and often as I really fancy him already for this.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6796

I think that’s a fair price MOM. I wouldn’t go any bigger myself.

When you see Lancaster Bomber sitting at 20/1, you know that that’s rank value in comparison. There is more chance of me winning it than the Bomber.

I had a look at Racebets but they are not quoting Glencadam Glory. Mind you, they don’t have Venice Beach in their betting and he’s generally favourite elsewhere :wacko:

Middle_Of_March
    Middle_Of_March
    Participant
    • Total Posts 768

I think that’s a fair price MOM. I wouldn’t go any bigger myself.

When you see Lancaster Bomber sitting at 20/1, you know that that’s rank value in comparison. There is more chance of me winning it than the Bomber.

I had a look at Racebets but they are not quoting Glencadam Glory. Mind you, they don’t have Venice Beach in their betting and he’s generally favourite elsewhere :wacko:

Yeah the more I think about it, the more I’m thinking that my hope of 40/1 is a tad too optimistic.

Happy with 25s and will now put something on him 3/4 times a week until the race. The same strategy used for Alpha Des Obeaux (lost at Cheltenham) and One for Arthur (won the GN).

That’s how much I fancy Glencadem Glory.

He will absolutely love the step up in trip. Had a little bet on him for the Derby just in case too to go with my Cliffs Of Moher bet at 10s.

But this is a lever horse if ever I’ve seen one. On what looks like being yet another poor renewal from the horses I’ve seen.

:yahoo:

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 11075

Not quite sure what I’m doing on this thread, not my territory at all :wacko:

I rarely have much interest in The Classics, and after nabbing Harbour Law last year, with what I’m sure was my first ever bet in the race, I was going to swerve it this time, and keep my 100% record in it lol.

I’ve had a go though, and went for Raheen House. I thought he ran a screamer on Thursday, and I bet him at 40’s each way straight after. No idea if it’s the plan, but very happy to take a chance at those odds. 33’s still available, and topped up the win at those odds.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 148 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.