Sense?

Home Forums Lounge Sense?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  dave jay 11 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3650

I was quite impressed with what this Chap said on the news tonight .. <br>about the War on Terror, Terrorists and Britishness .. !

I pretty much, well no, whole-heartedly agree with everything that he has said about the sorry state of affairs that our government has got itself into over this whole mess, that they have created.

What worries me, is why is he having to say it and where are the so-called opposition MP’s?

Its a bit much, when a man who came from Africa and claimed asylum years ago, is the only person in the Establishment who is actually talking any sense and saying that things are becoming definitely un-British.

lollys mate
    • Total Posts 723

The archbishop also urged people coming to live in the UK to adopt and "cherish" British values.

"If you are in Britain and you’re British, you should really cherish the traditions that are here," he said.

"If you don’t actually subscribe to the things that make Britain, you’re going to be in trouble."

I think he’s a bit late!

Britain ain’t Britain no more. The damage is done!:(

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1548

If only our politicians had the balls to speak out like this Bishop; he only said what most people think.<br>Our milquetoast, wholly inadequate and woeful government (and sadly, opposition parties too), will doubtless spin their usual deceitful verbiage to discredit his opinions.<br>

Drone
    Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5119

Living as I do in Archbishop Sentamu’s diocese, I can report that he’s become very popular with his flock outside the confines of Christian and church life. A thoughtful, gentle, decent man not afraid to speak his mind, who’s words tend to scream ‘commonsense’. This latest being a case in point.

Andrew Hughes
    Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 2011

For one fleeting moment I thought this might be a thread about the novels of Jane Austen and my heart lifted. But it turns out not. Ah well.

Top marks for the Archbishop on the 90 day thing, though since it was opposition in Parliament that stopped this happening, it might be a tad harsh to say the opposition have done nothing (though I have been extremely disappointed by the so-called Labour rebels since 2001 – I mean, time was when the Labour party used to have proper rebellions).

And no-one can argue with the principle that people coming here should accept and uphold British values. I’m just never entirely sure what people mean by British values. (That is meant as a genuine question, not a challenge or an argument)

<br>

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3650

I think the idea of Britishness, or what I like to think is the philosophy of Britishness is what is under attack, from what seem to be the NuLabour management.

They are more like Americans that Brits .. they seem to try and reduce everything to a black and white arguement and there’s someting not ‘right’ with anyone who disagrees.

For example, the bother with Isreal and Palestine. Both sides kill loads of innocent civilians. In the past the British stance has been one of neutrality. Seeing both sides as being the cause of the problem and both sides needing to show restraint and show respect for human life. This is a view that I agree with and it is probably uniquely British and fair. On the other hand, the US take on the Palestian conflict is brought down to a ‘cowboys and indians’ debate .. and then unbelievably our government joins in.

The British people are opposed to the use of torture, under any circumstances .. Jeff Hoon went to the House of Lords to argue that testimony given during torture should be allowed to be used in a court, in this country as evidence. That’s not British .. I would expect people to get asylum in this country who had been tortured elsewhere .. not for their testimony to be used against them here !

lollys mate
    • Total Posts 723

My view of Britishness is quite simple.

Think back 30 to 40 years when you could walk down a street , say hello to a passer by, without them thinking you want to mug them.<br> Know who your neighbours are in you street, and be able to talk to them. (in English).<br> To be able to feel proud that you have a wife and 2 kids and go to work and earn a living. (other than ponce benefit)<br> To be able to feel good about yourself and want to improve your life, without so many people trying to drag you down, and tell you what is right and what is wrong. I know what is right and wrong.

Tell the scumbags who dont work that, and stop giving them benefits…………..

Sorry…………… Just needed a little rant tonight.:biggrin:

<br>

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3650

.. sounds a bit like Scotland .. this morning .. :biggrin:

Andrew Hughes
    Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 2011

Or Birmingham this afternoon

lollys mate
    • Total Posts 723

Come on Janet.

Maggie was God.;)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.