Ryanair Chase 2018

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham 2018 Ryanair Chase 2018

This topic contains 163 replies, has 39 voices, and was last updated by  TimJames 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 164 total)
  • Author
    Voleur
    Voleur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 658

Maybe you’re right. It would be very rare for an old, exposed horse like Simply Ned to improve at 11 years of age, but that would mean capping Mins potential a lot lower than I believe it is. Unless of course his injury has caused him to regress. But I’m not ruling it out completely either, I’m sure there is a case of an old horse suddenly running to a career out there somewhere, if only I could find it. As I said, maybe the stars aligned for Simply Ned, and everything was in his favour more than it ever was before.

And then of course Timeform could be right, and Min was simply well below form.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24428

I thought from your earlier post you and Timeform agree, Voleur. :unsure:

value is everything
    Voleur
    Voleur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 658

Apologies, I have confused Min’s Timeform ‘Figure’ with his Timeform ‘Rating’. They gave him a figure of 154, down from his previous figure of 167.But I see they awarded him an actual rating of 160+, down from his previous rating of 166+, which is more in line with my own analysis. So yes you’re correct, Timeform and I do seem to agree.

befair
    befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 941

And just because the occasional winner might be distance versatile, it doesn’t mean the race is unwanted or unnecessary

Do people who dislike the Ryanair also dislike the novices handicap and the Plate ?

By that rationale we should also have a 2 + 1/2 mile championship hurdle

roosterbooster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 183

Maybe you’re right. It would be very rare for an old, exposed horse like Simply Ned to improve at 11 years of age, but that would mean capping Mins potential a lot lower than I believe it is. Unless of course his injury has caused him to regress. But I’m not ruling it out completely either, I’m sure there is a case of an old horse suddenly running to a career out there somewhere, if only I could find it. As I said, maybe the stars aligned for Simply Ned, and everything was in his favour more than it ever was before.

And then of course Timeform could be right, and Min was simply well below form.

Maybe not quite 11 years old, Roosterbooster in his champion hurdle was 9 years old on 27th start, and put up a performance that day far superior to anything he had previously- granted race fell perfectly for him with Intersky Falcon off like a scalded cat, but I don’t think any horse would have beat the booster that day – ahhh the memories :yahoo:

MarkTT
    MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2281

By that rationale we should also have a 2 + 1/2 mile championship hurdle

Exactly.

There are horses who can’t win a Champion or a Stayers and some of them are sent chasing because the 2 1/2 mile conditions hurdle race programme for senior hurdlers is weak.

The novices have the the Neptune and the Mersey
    Seniors have the Aintree

Obviously some novices will go chasing, reducing the amount of potential contenders, but I still find it utterly bizarre that the Cheltenham Festival has every conceivable 2 1/2 mile race other than one for senior hurdlers. There are more hurdlers suited to that distance than 3 miles.

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by MarkTT MarkTT.
    CharlesOlney
    CharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1993

Is Frodon going to run here next?

He’s 16/1 and for sure is looking unlikely to defeat Un De Sceaux or Top Notch but between those two and himself in the betting are Fox Norton (unlikely runner), Waiting Patiently (unlikely runner), Min (unlikely runner), Yorkhill (unlikely runner), Road To Respect (unlikely runner), Douvan (unlikely runner), Coney Island (unlikely runner), Djakadam (unlikely runner) and Balko De Flos (unlikely runner).

Therefore, the Nicholls’ horse is perhaps not the worst each-way bet in the world given his course form and upward trajectory. That is unless connections vie to either shoulder top weight in one of the handicaps or avoid the festival all together and head to Aintree.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 469

Charles why you saying that Waiting Patiently and Fox Norton unlikely runners? what have you heard.

KevMcAlley
    KevMcAlley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 570

Frodon needs it soft or worse over this trip to be at his best I feel.

Waiting Patiently will run here though i’d think, as will Disko if they can get him back as well as Balko Des Flos.

steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5311

I’ve just taken 7s NRNB Waiting Patiently before he wins at Ascot and moves to dispute favs here.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2380

Quite like the way Valseur Lido has ran on his last couple of starts as well as last year. Looks like he is travelling really well in his races and dying for a shorter trip. No idea if he is being aimed at the race at all though :unsure:

raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3490

Trouble is Ruth has said Cloudy Dream definitely goes Ryanair Joe?

I wouldn’t think she will run them both in this would she?

steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5311

Raymo, she says she’ll decide after Saturday – no question which is more progressive and he handled good to soft fine last twice. NRNB anyway.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

CharlesOlney
    CharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1993

Do we not think that Waiting Patiently would only be asked to run at the Festival if the ground was sufficiently slow enough and if that were the case then surely connections would opt for the Champion Chase?

MoyenneCorniche
    MoyenneCorniche
    Participant
    • Total Posts 100

https://www.racingpost.com/news/news/waiting-patiently-ready-to-take-next-step-up-in-ascot-chase/319613

According to this,the Ryanair is the only Cheltenham option and he isn’t ground dependent.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 164 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.