Ryanair Chase 2018

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham 2018 Ryanair Chase 2018

This topic contains 163 replies, has 39 voices, and was last updated by  TimJames 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 164 total)
  • Author
    Voleur
    Voleur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 658

Min 14/1

Massive fan of this horse, would have been last year’s Arkle winner in my opinion.. He looked a natural over fences last season, and if Willie is to be believed he has summered exceptionally well. Returns to action at Gowran tomorrow, whats interesting is that it’s over 2m4f. Seems a bit contradictory to what Mullins said earlier in the season about him being an “out and out two miler,” but with all the quality they have for the two mile division it’s only natural one of them ends up here. I can’t see Douvan going for anything other than the Queen Mother, Great Fields is injured and won’t be back till spring I believe, and Un De Sceaux would be playing second fiddle to either Douvan or Min.

If Min wins tomorrow he will no doubt shorten for this, for some reason beating a field of three at 1/8 has the power to do that these days, and I imagine Mullins will be asked the ‘Ryanair question’ in post-race interviews. If he hints at that then expect the 14/1 to be more like 4/1.

Jasolong
    Participant
    • Total Posts 379

How is TOP NOTCH?!?!? Sweet Jesus of Nazareth he can jump!
    I would back him all day wherever he goes. I backed him at Cheltenham last year for the JLT and at the time I thought he might have beaten Yorkhill had he not blundered 2 out. That was an unreal run and he’s confirmed it today. So wide all the way round and pinged every fence. Won’t see much better performance than that all season

Voleur
    Voleur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 658

16/1 still available with Bet Victor if you’re so inclined. :good:

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 13488

Love this race, but since the heady days of Albertas Run, the winner hasn’t been easy to find for me.

First bet for me is the Willie Mullins trained Bachasson. Really caught my eye last year, but nobody else seemed that taken by him, and he’s been kept under wraps until recently. Again, out at Thurles on Thursday, and he won in a canter, but barely a raised eyebrow. Really like this horse, and I was impressed anyway. It might just be that WPM knows he has much better ammo for this. He’s certainly in the same ownership of the reigning champ, Un De Sceaux, which I admit, is a slight problem for Bach. With that in mind, I’ve also covered him for The Gold Cup. Nice horse, and though he might not be heading here, I bet him last March for this anyway, and I remain hopeful.

The other I like is Go Conquer. Very very impressed with his wins this season, particularly at Ascot, and interestingly, considering connections, didn’t take in The BetVictor. That was a real slog, and they may get their rewards in March. Jonjo will target this race, and this guy looks ideal, and is a decent price at 33’s. Entered in both The Becher, and The Grand Sefton in a fortnight, and I hope it’s the latter he goes for. Really think his future is outwith handicaps, and at that 33’s, I’m tempted.

Too many others to mention, not least todays impressive winners, Top Notch, and Min, and the picture will change many times. Yorkhill could head here with stablemate UDS, to name but two, while Giggs will be strongly represented, and my idea of their best chances at this stage, would be Disko, and Road To Respect.

Early days, but happy to have Bachasson on side.

Bachasson 50’s Each Way
    Bachasson 100’s to 140’s

steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5294

Go Conquer could be a cracking shout, Bobby, though connections are reportedly keen on the National. Ryanair would be a historic prep though!

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 13488

Hope so Joe. Just really taken by him at Ascot, I was very impressed, and I’m sure that wasn’t the run of a handicapper.

Perfect mark just now for The National, but I’m thinking connections have other candidates there, and he’s got time on his side. Should know more in a fortnight, whichever race he takes in at Aintree. Jonjo likes The Ryanair, and this boy looks perfect for it.

Vautour
    Vautour
    Participant
    • Total Posts 434

Min looked good at Gowran yesterday although the 2 horses (140) he faced gave him nothing to think about as you would expect with a 160 chaser. I thought that winning by 36L was a sign of something until Bristol De Mai beat Cue Card and Outlander by half the course.. I wonder if Min would stay the Gold Cup distance? Ricci has Min, Djakadam and Douvan and you would imagine they will end up in the RyanAir, Champion Chase and Gold Cup if they all stay fit. Douvan looks like he is going to The Champion Chase to try and make amends for last year and Djakadam just isn’t quite good enough for the Gold Cup but would have a great chance in the RyanAir. Will be interesting to see if Ricci has a runner in The Lexus. That might tell you more about where they are being aimed.

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1730

Id be concerned what mullins said about min yesterday in regards to this trip, that the race presented itself and he was fit rather than planning to step him up, i think min would give blth altior and douvan alot to think about, he looked superb last year although yesterday dosent really account for much other tgan he still looks excellent

Hope they run him in the CC hes to good for this race

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1730

Hard to tell where they will send benie des dieux, but shes declared at carlisle of all places on sunday over this trip and i backed her for this at 65s, if she shows that type of display she did last time she wont be that price on monday!

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1730

Didnt beat much but she just jumps so effortlessly, ill be interested wherever she goes, she could be something pretty excellent

Middle_Of_March
    Middle_Of_March
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1984

I put her in my 10 to follow and took the 14s any race. I would be annoyed with myself if she ran here as this was the only race I could see her in but yet was convinced she’d be sent elsewhere (like the Mares hurdle) hence putting her for any race.

The way she effortlessly takes lengths out of the field when she jumps is so impressive. She could be anything. Rich Ricci really really likes her. I really like her too.

silent assassins
    Participant
    • Total Posts 80

Like you mom thought she could end up in the mares race very exciting mare who could mop up in masters chases in Ireland be interesting if Mullins sends her for the mares hurdle at Doncaster in Jan like he did with Annie Power and Vroum Vroum Mag that might give some indication as Cheltenham target

Cheltenham Novice Chase
    Participant
    • Total Posts 121

Assuming all of Ricci’s horses stay fit one would have to assume that Min will be in the Ryanair. Douvan in the Champion Chase and Djakadam in the Gold Cup (again). He pretty much confirmed that in an interview with Matt Chapman. That said we all know a single chat with Willie Mullins could change all that.

Assuming Min does run in this then I think he has to be one of the bets of the festival.

Vautour
    Vautour
    Participant
    • Total Posts 434

“Assuming” is the big word there. Far too many variables. Un De Sceaux is there also. Bachasson looks like he is going to be championship class also. Bennie Des Dieux will have to come Ito consideration as well and then you have Killultagh Vic, who may not be the horse he once was but he’s only 8. Then there is Min and Douvan who are speed horses and Yorkhill and Djakadam. If all of them remain fit and all of them put in 160 plus performances, which they are all well capable of, then who knows where any of them can go?

If Douvan beats Fox Norton by 10 L then I think you can “assume” he’ll be headed for the Champion Chase. Very hard to say where the rest are going.

I think from a Mullins point of view he has never had a better team of Senior Chasers. Looks a bit light in the Novice Chase and Novice Hurdle divisions this year. If Ruby is fit he will have a big say and if I was Ruby I would want to be on the best 3 horses. Douvan and Yorkhill are probably the best 2 but who’s 3rd best? Hard to know at this stage.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by Vautour Vautour.
    Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24175

Anyone heard how Disko is getting on?
    Is he definitely going to make it to the Festival?

value is everything
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 164 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.