Royal Ascot or Cheltenham?

Home Forums Horse Racing Royal Ascot or Cheltenham?

This topic contains 21 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by cormack15 cormack15 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    cormack15
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9977

Ok, I admit it’s a pointlessly devisive question. But it’s still a bit of fun.

Top hats, tails, stupidly named cocktails, multi-million dollar horses, Henry Cecil and the Queen….

Or….

Barbours, bonnets, Guinness, horses bought out of a field in Eire, Paul Nicholls and Zara Phillips.

You decide.

thehorsesmouth
    thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5533

I love Royal Ascot, it’s got everything: 2yo races where everyone is hoping to see the stars of the future; races like the St James Palace and Coronation Stakes where we find out who are the best 3yo milers; big sprints involving horses from all around the globe; mind-boggling handicaps; and Group 1 after Group 1.

But nothing tops Cheltenham :wink:

JJMSports
    JJMSports
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1965

Cheltenham. And it’s not even close.

RedRum77
    RedRum77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1566

Ok, I admit it’s a pointlessly devisive question. But it’s still a bit of fun.

Top hats, tails, stupidly named cocktails, multi-million dollar horses, Henry Cecil and the Queen….

Or….

Barbours, bonnets, Guinness, horses bought out of a field in Eire, Paul Nicholls and Zara Phillips.

You decide.

And the Queen, wasn’t she there one year :lol:

RedRum77
    RedRum77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1566

I suppose it really comes down to FLAT OR NATIONAL HUNT

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7183

Sorry Cormack but in truth neither…
    It has to be Newmarket every day of the week for me.
    Nothing like the July Cup Meeting on a hot sunny day, steel band playing under the trees and viewing the horses in the shady pre parade ring.

Fantastic view of both horses and the racing, neither of which you get at Royal Ascot and we get a good helping of Henry Cecil (have already seen Frankel winning the Dewhurst and the 2,000 Guineas and Twice Over winning the Champion Stakes).

If I had to choose between the two, as I love Flat Racing, it would have to be Royal Ascot, but only if I could gain a ticket for the Royal Enclosure as having survived one ‘Ladies Day’ having to watch all the action on a TV screen in Ladbrokes betting hall and queuing for half and hour seeing ‘ladies’ bolting into the Men’s loo in desperation as Ascot had not laid on sufficient facilities for their 80,000 or so spectators most paying around £60 for the pleasure. :oops:

It is only the privileged few who can sit and sup the stupidly named cocktails in a garden party atmosphere as the jumped up ‘Lord Snooty Brigade’ BBC would have us all believe that each and every one of us is able to do by their finely edited TV coverage.

Unable to comment on Cheltenham as have never been but the atmosphere on Gold Cup Day could be bottled and sold for a small fortune, priceless I would think. :wink: Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    paulostermeyer
    paulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4705

Not a fair comparison you are not really comparing like with like.

Both have the highest quality racing for their particular codes.

Both have fantastic, but totally contrasting, atmospheres.

I wouldn’t miss either and I love both.

However I have voted "neither" as my absolute favourite festival is Arc weekend – top quality racing, a great buzz and set in one the loveliest cities in the world.

Drone
    Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5126

The Mayfly is up! Trout, Salmon and Scotsmen go mad!

Cormack has donned his chest waders and is neck-deep in the Leader Water with a very long rod, a box full of large glaringly-obvious flies and two enormous keepnets: one to hold the small, young and swift who dance and entrance, the other to hold the large, old and slow who meander and entrance

"But it’s still a bit of fun" :roll: no it isn’t :evil:

Possibly the most unpleasant and divisive threads on racing message boards – ones that reappear with alarming and unwlecome regularity – are the Flat v NH ‘which is better’ ‘which do you prefer’ type bollox

Royal Ascot and Cheltenham provide the racing fan with two banquets: incomparable and uncomparable

Leave it at that

OneEye
    OneEye
    • Total Posts 673

But Drone (and Paul),

If – for some crazy reason – in 2012 they were scheduled to be staged at exactly the same time of the year, and you had to attend one or the other, which one would you attend?

You don’t want to compare them, and the situation above will never happen, but use your imagination for one second and pretend they are both staged during the same week for one year only, then serious question, which one would you attend?

And if it makes it easier (and fairer), let’s push Cheltenham back six week and bring Royal Ascot forward six week – so late April/early May it is.

Oh.. and I voted Cheltenham by the way. Cheltenham beats everything in my book, family birthdays, weddings, partner giving birth etc. Nothing gets a look in when Cheltenham is on.

Drone
    Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5126

If The Royal Meeting, The National Hunt Meeting, The Derby Meeting, The Lords Test, Henley Regatta, Wimbledon, Cowes Week, The York&Ainsty at Easingwold, Appleby Horse Fair, Trooping The Colour, The Boat Race and Harrogate Spring Flower Show were all held in the same week in June which would you attend One-Eyed one?

I’d be in Harrogate wearing a Top Hat and Barbour drinking Guinness washed down with stupidly-named Cocktail chasers

Silly Season is early this year :?

graysonscolumn
    graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7112

If The Royal Meeting, The National Hunt Meeting, The Derby Meeting, The Lords Test, Henley Regatta, Wimbledon, Cowes Week, The York&Ainsty at Easingwold, Appleby Horse Fair, Trooping The Colour, The Boat Race and Harrogate Spring Flower Show were all held in the same week in June which would you attend One-Eyed one?

Easingwold, of course. Next question. 8)

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

OneEye
    OneEye
    • Total Posts 673

I’d be in Harrogate wearing a Top Hat and Barbour drinking Guinness washed down with stupidly-named Cocktail chasers

Silly Season is early this year :?

But that wasn’t the question posed by the original poster was it? :D

You dodged that original question, implying they are both excellent within their own right (which they are of course), so I just tried to make it easier for you to answer if you so wished. You obviously didn’t wish to choose which is absolutely fine.

It’s just a hypothetical question, a bit of fun as Cormack put it.

Anonymous
    • Total Posts 18146

Cheltenham for me, and that’s coming from a flat fantatic!

I hate everything about Royal Ascot, the pompus toff mongral looking mugs can enjoy "their" meeting.

paulostermeyer
    paulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4705

But Drone (and Paul),

If – for some crazy reason – in 2012 they were scheduled to be staged at exactly the same time of the year, and you had to attend one or the other, which one would you attend?

The way racing is run it probably isn’t that stupid a suggestion.

On a semantic point I did answer the original question in that I responded neither, choosing the Arc as the best.

But to respond to your devils advocate questioning – I would probably choose Ascot over Cheltenham – simply because Ascot is an easier course to work at and to watch the racing.

EmmyK
    EmmyK
    • Total Posts 171

Cheltenham hands down.

I’m more of an NH fan which is obviously a major indicator, but the atmosphere is second to none. Yes it can be a bit of a mare to get around, especially on gold cup day, but I absolutely adore it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.