Racing UK to become Racing tv?

Home Forums Horse Racing Racing UK to become Racing tv?

This topic contains 24 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  steveh31 5 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    GoldenMiller34
    GoldenMiller34
    Participant
    • Total Posts 897

Yeah, Phil, the extra Flat meetings from Ireland on big Jumping days will be unwelcome and ought to go on the website only. I don’t think there is an option for Jumps or Flat only membership. What RUK really need to do is have two channels, basically one for Flat and one for Jumps but when there are a lot of meetings on the same day the Irish meetings could be shown on the second channel. Therefore, in the summer when there are, say, 5 British Flat meetings, 1 British Jumps, 2 Irish Flat and 1 Irish Jumps, the 5 British Flat could be shown on one channel and the 4 other meetings on the second channel. For £25 per month it’s called giving people a choice. Won’t happen though. Next year I may well cancel my subscription for four months in the summer and rejoin. I’m going to weigh things up when I’ve seen what SSR is like and against various other online sports packages I have.

Meanwhile, RUK has responded to Forristal’s article (courtesy The Guardian):

“Responding to the Racing Post piece, a Racing UK spokesman tells me his company values this chance to “showcase the stories” of the Flat and jump-racing seasons, with so much quality British and Irish racing on its schedule. “Racing UK, SIS and Horse Racing Ireland have been working closely over the summer to ensure minimum congestion and clashes on race fixtures and times,” he said.

“The channel will devote more on-air coverage, dedicated Irish features, previews and analysis shows to ensure it receives the prominence it merits. Viewers will also enjoy Irish racing at a far reduced latency [meaning delay from live] with less advertising than they’re used to.” Further new elements are promised for later in the year.”

Increased cooperation is good, however, RUK has said nothing here it hasn’t said already and the emphasis on quality continues to suggest that minor Irish meetings will be online only on busy days.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24125

I’d be happy with all minor meetings being online (GB as well as I).

value is everything

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 528

What was the point of buying the Irish racing and not show it. There doesn’t seem any joined up thinking at ruk and the decision to go with them seems more flawed by the day.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1672

@mickeyjp to stop the other channel from showing it, RUK have a history of buying rights then not bothering with them just to keep up the silly feud with ATR.

In the same way neither channel can even show a clip of the other channels courses and the silly rivalry that has gone on since the day both channels started instead of working together for the interests of the sport.

Another example Luke Harvey used to report from the car park at Cheltenham because RUK won’t let them into the course to broadcast even though they wouldn’t show any races.

Both channels have always been childish with each other.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  steveh31.

runandskip84
    Participant
    • Total Posts 48

This coming Saturday RUK have to squeeze in Ascot,Kempton,Haydock,Stratford &Thirsk ,it just as well they haven’t got to show the 2 Irish meetings yet.

GoldenMiller34
    GoldenMiller34
    Participant
    • Total Posts 897

I’m fairly happy with this, however, I can understand why people are annoyed at the loss of full blanket coverage of Irish racing on TV (especially as ATR will become Sky Sports Racing) and why folk are criticising HRI’s decision. I think RUK is the superior channel but many don’t and, with too much racing to show, will RUK remain the ‘best’ in the face of SSR which will reach more customers?:

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/ruk-assures-online-coverage-of-irish-races-but-television-output-not-guaranteed/345713

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1672

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/increase-in-racing-free-sundays-and-earlier-finishing-times-for-evening-meetings/345718

Irish fxtures announced including a few more blank Sundays than this year and earlier evening meeting finish times and fixtures for the year slightly reduced. Seems RUK getting a little less for all that money they paid for it. 😉

• This reply was modified 6 days, 9 hours ago by  steveh31.
    • This reply was modified 6 days, 8 hours ago by  steveh31.
    phil walker
    phil walker
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1348

British racing should follow the Irish example. The majority of Sunday racing is garbage, and I’m sure stable staff would be pleased to get home at a reasonable time rather than having to hang around for the 9.30 at Kempton Park etc.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1672

@philwalker the uk are following suit and all weather racing will have time restricitons imposed I think it’s 8.30pm as the last race to improve staff welbeing.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 2 hours ago by  steveh31.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1672

Not only RUK that have issues with too many fixtures tomorrow the bozos who orgainse the fixtures have stuck Doncaster between Listowel (jumps) and Lingfield which, with 5 minutes seperating all races during the afternoon could mean Doncaster being split screen all afternoon.

Doesn’t someone who organises this get a little lightbulb in their head and think there’s a jump card 5 minutes before the feature meeting all afternoon this is likely to clash?

2m4f race 5 mins before the St Leger they have no clue.

• This reply was modified 5 days ago by  steveh31.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.