Racing Post Arkle Trophy Trial Novices' Chase

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Racing Post Arkle Trophy Trial Novices' Chase

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Voleur Voleur 21 hours, 57 minutes ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Voleur
    Voleur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 446

Yet another graded National Hunt race with decent prize money, that has attracted a farcical number of entries. What it lacks in quantity though, it seems it will make up for in quality, if all five entrants line up.

I know fans of Finian’s Oscar are few and far between on this forum, but I happen to be one of them. He did very little wrong on his chase debut, his jumping was more than a little disorganised perhaps, but that can be expected for his first run over fences. Perhaps a stronger gallop will also improve the fluidity of his jumping. He has a serious engine though, and this was on full display at Chepstow, admittedly he beat trees but he beat them with authority.

Having said all that, the current 5/4 about him appeals very little to me, in what looks a competitive line up. I’m going to give the nod to River Wylde at 3/1 instead. He impressed me at Uttoxeter, and NJH has come out and said he needed the run, so further improvement is expected. Himself and Finian’s Oscar both beat a horse rated 139 on their respective chase debuts, but the market vibes around the Fry horse River Wylde beat, suggest there is a lot more improvement to come from one than the other.

River Wylde attacked his fences well, in a low and economical manner that wastes little time in the air. Both horses are coming into this race on the back of a single run so far this season, but Finian may as well have been doing a schooling session. River Wylde on the other hand knew he was in a race the whole way around, and that might give him an edge over the Tizzard horse. Over this shorter trip, I think Finian may be vulnerable to a horse with proper 2 mile pace, and unless the faster pace brings out improvement in his jumping, he will lose a lot of ground at his fences to the likes of River Wylde.

I’m not sure how the recent passing of Alan Potts will affect the running of his horses in the short term, but there has to be a slight possibility all of Potts’ horses may be off the track for a couple of weeks at the least.

River Wylde 3/1.

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 684

I backed finians lasts week for the 2m4 on friday before he drifted out as this race came into the frame, i have read tonight that he will run in the original race (fridays 2m4) and bypass this (hopefully for my own bet)

Dont know how much truth their is in this yet we will know in the morning when final decs for fridays race are out

Will in all likelyhood if that happens mean you have a nice price about river wylde

Just incase there is i taken some of the 5/2 about finians in the 2m4 race again before it collapses if hes declared tomorrow

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 684

I backed finians lasts week for the 2m4 on friday before he drifted out as this race came into the frame, i have read tonight that he will run in the original race (fridays 2m4) and bypass this (hopefully for my own bet)

Dont know how much truth their is in this yet we will know in the morning when final decs for fridays race are out

Will in all likelyhood if that happens mean you have a nice price about river wylde

Just incase there is i taken some of the 5/2 about finians in the 2m4 race again before it collapses if hes declared tomorrow

Thankfully finians got declared for the race i backed him ininitially, your river wylde bet will look a lot healthier now

Voleur
    Voleur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 446

Shrewd move Ham :good: Whatever about his jumping, Finian certainly has an engine under the hood. I think they’d be mad to go to the Arkle rather than the JLT with him though, when you look at what Footpad, River Wylde and Petit Mouchoir can do jumping at pace, you’d have to think he’d lose acres of ground at his fences.

Happy with the price for River Wylde on Sunday, but it is by no means a penalty kick.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.