Queens Vase

Home Forums Royal Ascot 2018 Queens Vase

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by raymo61 raymo61 7 hours, 34 minutes ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    CharlesOlney
    CharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1800

Southern France

I took 6/1 with Corals last week and I see that he’s still 5s with SkyBet and William Hill.

The Galileo colt looks the bet of the week at this price. He’s only seen the racecourse 3 times and has improved for each outing culminating in a Listed level win at Navan over a furlong shorter than this last time out.

He looks to be Ballydoyle’s number one and he should relish everything about this.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8035

I have Southern France as the Lay of the meeting. I felt he won a very weak Listed race last time out and his OR of 97 after three starts seems low to me considering he’s a hot favourite at 4/1 and lower now.

He prevailed by half a length last time out and even if he never looked like getting caught, it wasn’t the sort of performance that would warrant his current odds in my opinion.

O’Brien’s stayers look a poor bunch this year. Saxon Warrior was supposed to be his best but even he could not place in the Derby and the others looked as slow as punts without a pole.

All four runs from Southern France’s Listed win have resulted in unplaced, thrashed, efforts. Particularly worrying would be the 4th placed National Security, going on be third in a Navan maiden, beaten 8 lengths.

Obviously, Southern France may improve a good bit but I feel he will need to and the bare form at the moment looks way off warranting the odds he is.

I thought Dermot Weld’s Bandua was much better value at five times the odds and NRNB.
    The colt is 2/2 after landing two Cork races on testing ground. His 103 Racing Post rating is five lbs higher than Southern France on 98 and he’s very unexposed. Bandua was entered in the Belmont Stakes up until the final Decs and he also holds an Irish Derby entry.

Bandua is also in the King Edward VII later in the week but the Queen’s Vase looks a more realistic target at this stage.

Bandua and Southern France are tied pretty close through Whirling Dervish who ran behind both colts. Bandua gave that form guide 7 lbs, whereas Southern France met him off levels. The big factor is that the extra trip could bring greater improvement from the Weld horse.

I just feel that with NRNB and 20/1 I am getting much better value than the 4/1 on the warm fav. Hard to imagine a Weld runner going off 20/1 if he lines up and I felt an each-way was in order. If he goes elsewhere it’s money on something else.

The Total Recall followers make their way to Aintree.

charlie87
    charlie87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 667

Stats up to 2017 (not including Stradivarius)

12/14 – Had never raced at Ascot before
    10/14 – Had at least 2 previous career wins
    10/14 – Placed last time out
    9/14 – Placed favourites
    9/14 – Had run over at least 1m4f before
    6/14 – Ran at either Lingfield or Haydock last time out
    6/14 – Winning favourites
    5/14 – Trained by Mark Johnston
    5/14 – Trained by Aidan O’Brien
    3/14 – Ridden by Ryan Moore
    2/14 – Trained by Sir Michael Stoute (won it 4 times in all)
    2/14 – Ridden by Frankie Dettori
    No winner from stall 1 in the last 11 years
    The horse from stall 7 has been placed in 5 of the last 11 runnings (3 wins)
    10 of the last 11 winners came from a single-figure stall
    5 of the last 11 winners came from stalls 7 or 8
    The average winning SP in the last 14 years is 11/2

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4336

SOUTHERN FRANCE for me to he races very lazy he does he hiding abilty well there is more to come from him.

CharlesOlney
    CharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1800

Southern France into a general 5/2 favourite now.

3/1 is still available with William Hill & Betfred.

Aidan O’Brien has indicated that Nelson is likely to join Southern France here and he’s a best priced 10/1 but the lively surface would be a worry for me and I suspect Ryan Moore will be on Frenchy.

jackh1092
    jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 537

I am on Nelson here….willing to forgive the last run.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

KevMcAlley
    KevMcAlley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 368

Nelson e/w here. Good ground & a trip looks like suiting here Considering his nice form last season over a mile.

Liked Gosden’s Stream Of Stars also but he’s too short now, FWIW.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8035

Bandua swerves this race but it was NRNB, so no harm done.

I just can’t have Southern France here. He is priced as if he is already this class, when he is only rated 95 on official figures. He has potential of course, but the odds suggest he is 20 lbs higher than he actually is thus far.

Nelson is my St Leger horse but was disappointing last time. I am undecided as to whether he needs soft ground at this trip but his best performance last year came on testing ground. I feel that the 1m 2f of the Derrinstown on good ground was a totally insufficient test of stamina and he always looked like he was working too hard to maintain the lead and once joined he had no more to offer in response to the closers. Hazapour did best of those who went on to the Derby but he clearly didn’t stay and is being dropped back to 10F now.

In retrospect, Nelson may have been a St Leger type, running against a high class 10F horse in the Derrinstown, so it wouldn’t be a shocker to see the faster horse prevail at HIS trip, on HIS ground. The extra half mile of the Vase should allow Nelson to travel more comfortably against pretty much slower horses than he has been facing and I feel he’s an excellent e/w at more than twice the odds of the horse who has 16 lbs to find with him on ratings. I’ll be playing win only though.

I have Southern France as my lay of the meeting and not only is his rating a bit shy of what I would want at the odds, he didn’t visually impress me either. The final nail is the form of his two wins. 13 runs since, 1 placed and 12 unplaced. My overall impression is that Southern France would have been a better candidate when the Vase was over 2 miles.

I’m sorry to sound so negative but I just don’t see the odds against horses who may have limitations but have achieved a lot more. Best of luck though.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8035

I forgot to say that Nelson’s run behind Roaring Lion in last year’s Royal Lodge is arguably the best looking piece of form on show in the Queen’s Vase.

CharlesOlney
    CharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1800

I’m with you now Steve.

5/2 about Southern France is too short on what he’s actually done, but I’m happily on at 6/1 and he’ll be a good result. Would I back him at his current price? No. But the value was there to be taken earlier in the week.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8035

New favourite is Kew Gardens because Ryan Moore is on board him, with Heffernan on Southern France.

Donnacha is on Nelson and he’s 5/1 in a tight go for second Fav now.

I reckon Kew Gardens is an awful price now at 5/2, having been 8/1 just 4 days ago.

I would imagine that Ryan has gone for him because his best run was probably the Zetland stakes on a fast surface. Kew Gardens was last seen doing a damn good impression of the Kon Tiki in the Derby. I can’t touch him at 5/2.

Stream Of Stars is grossly underpriced at 4/1. A maiden winner, rated 91 on RPR’s, the form of his race has been from horses running in maidens or in handicaps off marks in the 80’s. The third home Corgi, won a handicap by a length as 11/4 Fav from a mark of 85. Runner up to Stream The Stars bombed out totally off 85 in a staying handicap next time for Michael Stoute.

Stream Of Stars needs a big improvement and has scope, but by god he needs it and with established horses at albeit not a stellar level and with another similar type to himself in Southern France, 4/1? really?

Happy enough with Nelson at 8/1 and a query on the ground, rather than 5/2 Kew Gardens :wacko:

I would expect Southern France to be a drifter tomorrow and I’d be a layer of Stream Of Stars, who would be huge if trained by a lesser light.

Crazy Odds Man :scratch:

raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3165

I am on Kew Gardens at 8/1 Steve but am not at all confident.
    Drapers Guild at 20/1 could be a big price having only got beat half a length by SF and Kings Proctor at 25/1 looks huge to me with MJ’s form in this race!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.