The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Peterborough Chase 2017

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Peterborough Chase 2017

Viewing 5 posts - 35 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6132

Well that was a bit of a non event!! easy winner easy second and the forecast paid nearly a fiver!! LOL

I am bemused by Jossies Hill though. Any solutions to where next with him? Two mile handicap maybe or small field bully where he can dominate ?

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2882

Probably races like the Ascot Chase in late February (but that could end up being quite a hot race) so maybe a step up to 3m for the old Racing Post Chase at Kempton (also late February) might be an alternative but I would imagine that a major objective would be the G2 Oaksey Chase at Sandown in April that he finished 3rd to Menorah in last year (no Menorah to contend with this time).

Being restricted to right hand tracks is a problem but that is increased by the fact that he ideally really needs decent ground although he has won twice on soft ground in the past.

Racingorchid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 182

I have no idea why cue card was entered for this , but never for a moment did i think he would run. The owner has always said the KG was the target and as she pays the bills calls the tune and with its record in the race has every right to do so . I would maintain cue cards jumping was better than that of BDM and nobody is calling for him to be retired. Anyway lets enjoy the race and hope all return safely

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8253

He couldn’t keep up with Thistlecrack last year and that didn’t harm him? He was second in the betfair, he’s far from GATG just regressing as any horse does in its later years.

Should we start retiring every horse that starts dropping below the level it once was?

Well they are now saying that he won’t run at Kempton because they “Want to mind him a bit now” so he won’t run again until February.

Apparently the target is three more runs (Ascot Chase, Cheltenham and Aintree) then retirement.

I wouldn’t take one word out of Tizzard’s mouth as gospel mind you and the farting about with the horse and his targets recently suggests to me that there is just the chance we might not see the horse racing again.

I am not suggesting every horse on the slide should retire. There is always dropping their mark to keep them competitive as they decline in talent, but a horse of Cue Card’s class and achievement has earned a retirement with some sense of his talent intact, particularly when he starts taking dangerous falls.

The official handicapper and Timeform both agreed that Cue Card looked a shadow of himself last time and what is the point in watching him like that?

Hopefully they will see sense and not try him in the Gold Cup because it looks the most likely race to see him out of his depth and end up on the deck again. Do the owners/trainers really think the bookies are stupid pricing the once great horse up at 50/1 for the race? He’s that price for a reason.

Here’s hoping that just for once Tizzard can open his mouth and make definitive statement that actually comes to pass, and I hope it’s the news that the horse has retired.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31534

Ran like a drain last time. Prone to falling of late. Trying to keep up with better horses when you are past it is dangerous. A horse gets pushed out of its comfort zone and bad things happen.

You can peddle all the “Oh the horse is happier” nonsense you want, would any horse really be happier dead than alive?

Anyone thinking Cue Card is still at his best is delusional. The idea of the warrior horse, who needs to go out of the business dead on his shield in battle, is clearly vainglorious, romantic nonsense of the highest order. It’s the same as Mohammed Ali fighting on and getting his brain liquidised against Larry Holmes when he was clearly unfit to box at the top level.

It’s as if the horse has not done enough to be recognised as a great, and needs to be pressed on to destruction, in an effort to make a higher tide mark of urine in the great peeing up the wall contest of life.

There’s one that’s “past it” more than most, doesn’t stop him running and running and running.

Value Is Everything
Viewing 5 posts - 35 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.