Perth coverage on Regional ITV today

Home Forums Horse Racing Perth coverage on Regional ITV today

This topic contains 12 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by robnorth robnorth 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    robnorth
    robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4112

For those who can pick up the regional ITV stations, STV are covering two races from Perth today in ‘The Hour Goes To The Races’ at 3.00. The programme covers the 3.10 and the 3.45, the latter the £40,000 Summer Champion Hurdle.

Rob

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4584

Have they done this before?

Drone
    Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5119

Is the coverage by STV the reason for the late start and finish?

Well done STV, it would be nice if other regional companies did the same from time to time

robnorth
    robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4112

Drone

I don’t think the late start was due to the TV coverage. They had similar timings for the corresponding meeting last year.

Perth started this meeting last season as part of the Perth 800 celebrations (800th anniversary of the Royal Charter) and continued this year as a charity meeting. Packed house for the seocnd year running so they are clearly getting it right. Alex Salmond has played a pormonent role in publicising this meeting and, since he’s a racing nut, his presence as First Minister will do Scottish racing no harm.

Regarding the TV coverage, it would have been nice if they had someone with a bit of racing knowledge fronting or at least supporting on the programme. That aside they did have some decent items shot at Lucinda Russell’s yard.

Rob

Drone
    Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5119

Thanks Rob

Perth is really prospering, and I invariably enjoy the racing there, being there (all too rarely) and betting there

This meeting apart they’re all two or three dayers aren’t they?

Given Perth’s latitude a spring/summer programme is eminently sensible, and it’s carved a deep notch in the ‘summer jumps’ bandwagon

Nenni
    Nenni
    Participant
    • Total Posts 348

Just watched it on the iplayer. Brilliant! Racing was totally incidental. Even Prince Charles wasn’t going to come between Michelle McManus and her food!

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 13488

Just back from it, and it was a cracking day. Maybe not the best fare on offer, bar the big hurdle, but enjoyable regardless.

Sadly didn’t get the opportunity to give Michelle my best chat :shock:

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4584

Just watched it on the iplayer. Brilliant! Racing was totally incidental. Even Prince Charles wasn’t going to come between Michelle McManus and her food!

A very fair assessment. In itself quite bizarre just to see the armchairs and sofa.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1886
    Drone
    Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5119

The sexual chemistry and unrequited love was quite obvious. So it’s no surprise to see that Mrs Fox has left Walmington-on-Sea for Private Frazer’s homeland. I do hope the tryst isn’t doomed, dooomed!

Poor Corporal Jones

a fine big woman

they do like it up ’em

:oops:

yeats
    yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2863

Is the coverage by STV the reason for the late start and finish?

Well done STV, it would be nice if other regional companies did the same from time to time

The big race was brought forward for the coverage, I remember Granada doing one from Chester on a midweek afternoon some years ago presented by the excellent Beverley Ashworth and someone I forget. From what I recall it was quite good, unfortunately they never followed up.

DaveMonk
    DaveMonk
    • Total Posts 153

For those who can pick up the regional ITV stations, STV are covering two races from Perth today in ‘The Hour Goes To The Races’ at 3.00. The programme covers the 3.10 and the 3.45, the latter the £40,000 Summer Champion Hurdle.

Rob

Whilst I havent watched all the programme from the link below,
    Is this the reason why all the replays couldnt be picked up on ATR Rob?? I notice STV has used the course commentary in Malcolm Tomlinson. Nice to see regional tv cover meetings though. We used to have the Gosforth Park cup friday night meeting(day before the plate) covered by ITV. Those were the days!!

graysonscolumn
    graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7112

the excellent Beverley Ashworth

Ah, one of my 1980s continuity announcer / presenter childhood crushes. Along with Sue Robbie. But let’s not go there for now.

Must say I’m intrigued by STV’s enterprise in striking out by itself to cover Perth’s big races. With terrestrial racing coverage on Channel 4 unlikely to enjoy anything other than a precarious footing for the foreseeable, should more of the same be expected elsewhere across the ITV regional network, or indeed encouraged?

It would, for example, be lovely to hear of Westcountry TV securing a couple of hours to get Newton Abbot the coverage its two-day Lord Mildmay Chase meeting richly deserves.

Whether losing any more of their potential paying audience to stay-at-home watchers is anything the Abbot executive wants to encourage is a moot point, though, especially as the proposed two-week break in the summer jumping calendar is going to require them to find another, potentially less visitor-friendly weekend to race on as it is.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.