javgen.com asexon.com

Permian

Home Forums Memorials Permian

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  moehat 4 days, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ex RubyLight
    Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 643

Apparently lost his life in the Secretariat Stakes at Arlington tonight. William Buick was also stretchered off the track. More details will surely follow….

Rest in Peace Permian!

CharlesOlney
    CharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 855

I thought the worst watching it live.

Gut-wrenching. I saw him in the flesh at Bath back in April when he finished 3rd in a handicap and couldn’t believe his meteoric rise since, who’d have thought it back then?

He never looked happy tonight really, definitely wasn’t giving his running but I didn’t expect him to break down.

It’s just horrible for a horse who gave so much.

LostSoldier3
    LostSoldier3
    Participant
    • Total Posts 850

A proper little warrior. It feels like Permian deserved more given the way he stood up to such a busy schedule, usually on quick ground.

A weak Dante and weak King Edward VII don’t really do him justice – he was lucklessly beaten on the bob in the Grand Prix de Paris (ahead before and after the line) last time out.

Very sad.

Ex RubyLight
    Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 643

Sadly those things happen on going which is on the HARD side of firm…..

The winning time was 2:01 mins over 10 furlongs and running through THREE bends. It can’t get any faster and even though Buick dropped his hands a furlong out, running on concrete is just too much. Poor, poor Permian…..

• This reply was modified 5 days, 12 hours ago by Ex RubyLight Ex RubyLight.
    Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5572

Heartbreaking news… memories of George Washington flooding back and I just feel sick and sad.

Condolences to the Johnston team and hoping that Wiliam Buick will be alright.

Really feel for the handlers who adored him as did I and everyone who ever saw him race, so shocked I can’t believe this has happened. I wish he’d never gone there.

:heart: RIP..beautiful Permian :rose:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 21324

So sad, Permian was such a tough, genuine and consistent racehorse.
    RIP

Fingers crossed Buick is ok.

value is everything
    Crepello1957
    Crepello1957
    Participant
    • Total Posts 629

Why do trainers and owners send turf horses to run on terrible USA surfaces? surely there was a race in Europe he could have gone for. Sad waste of an equine life. Something must have been wrong before his leg shattered for him to be going so badly, the surface wasn’t suitable.

Tonge
    Tonge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 461

Very sad for this game horse and those who loved him. A carbon copy of Gold Trail’s death in the Mornington Cup in March. Also by Teofilo (as was Trading Leather). Possibly, as Crepello says, unsuitable surfaces, or maybe the inevitable result of the increasing trend in unsound horses becoming successful stallions? R.I.P. Permian

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5572

Totally agree Crepello, a similar fate could have awaited Ouija Board in her last race at Sha Tin in 2006 when she was found to have a slight swelling of the tissue at the site of an old injury a day before and connections had to make the decision whether she ran or not, thankfully they put the horse before the glory and she was retired to stud.

I’m so sad that Permian will not have the chance to prove himself as a Stallion, his horsebox returning empty from a fruitless journey, hopes and dreams shattered. This will have hit the Johnston yard very hard but there would have been no shame in not running him on that unforgiving surface but it’s too late now. 🙁

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Ex RubyLight
    Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 643

Why do trainers and owners send turf horses to run on terrible USA surfaces? surely there was a race in Europe he could have gone for. Sad waste of an equine life. Something must have been wrong before his leg shattered for him to be going so badly, the surface wasn’t suitable.

I think for a Dante winner there is almost no better race than the Juddmonte International.
    Plus how many times was he asked to run through three bends at full speed prior to yesterday?
    A very tight track with the going even faster than firm surely wouldn’t suit ANY British horses.

Crepello1957
    Crepello1957
    Participant
    • Total Posts 629

As well as the unsuitable track the pedigree also may be a factor. Teofilo was unsound, has sired another horse who had a similar injury in Trading Leather. Permian has four crosses of Northern Dancer in the first four removes of his pedigree and also duplications of Special and of course Natalma and the Native Dancer she carried. We will be seeing more of these injuries I think as the TB gene pool continues to contract.

LostSoldier3
    LostSoldier3
    Participant
    • Total Posts 850

Nail on the head from Crepello imo. Permian was a barely viable racehorse and Teofilo’s unsoundness should bar him from the genepool.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7301

Had no idea this had happened and it has shocked me. Poor Permian. I bet the mood in Middleham is sombre today; the north needed a horse like him. RIP

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.