Nothing Gained 4

Home Forums Tipping and Research Daily Lays And Plays Nothing Gained 4

This topic contains 502 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  moehat 7 hours, 1 minute ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 503 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12037

Well not to be, and even though Waves placed, I had win only. Posh Bounty was definitely an outsider too far :negative: but can’t complain, it’s been some week, and a wee bit out of the blue, as never really planned it to go like that, but I’ll take it.

Now for a few days rest, and some begging letters to the boss to get the Friday off, so I can go to Ayr :mail:

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12037

Back to Sir Abbots race, and the winner, Jaime Sommers was very very impressive, and on that performance, he could easily have a very decent season, he seemed to have loads in hand.

#29 in my long list of horses who I mistakenly thought were blokes.

She ran today at Galway, and looked to have the race in the bag when she hit the second last and unseated. Maybe getting ahead of myself here, as it is early, but I like what I’ve seen from her recently, and surely come the end of the season she’ll be considerably higher than 133.

LostSoldier3
    LostSoldier3
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1443

I followed in a friend in backing Jaime Sommers yesterday, VTC. Hugely frustrating that she came down – totally out of character for the horse and had plenty left to offer. That run against Whiteout certainly suggests she could be a 140 performer.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12037

Yeah Soldier, really like her, and I’ll be very disappointed if she doesn’t land a decent pot this winter. That must have been a hard one for you to take yesterday, as she looked to have the field covered. I’d be fairly confident you’ll get that money back from her.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12037

Absolutely gutted that Ayr is off, and to say I was mad keen on Johnny Barnes, would be an understatement.

Quick turnaround for Jaime Somers at Navan tomorrow. I fancy she’ll give the favourite plenty to think about, and the opening mark of 5-2 looks fairly generous to me. Also at Navan is Katnap, and he’s the market leader for a very decent looking chase over 2 and a half miles. Hard to forget his brave 2nd in The Topham, and I think if they can find the right races for him, then he would be a real player in The Grand National. He’s not been seen over 3 miles too often, but his entry last spring at Punchestown, as well as for The Kerry National, suggests connections have no fears about it. Not getting any younger, but seems a different horse for a switch to Joseph O’Brien, and I reckon his place at the head of the market is justified, and the 3’s with Bet365 is very fair. If things did go his way tomorrow, then I’m sure you’d see his name in the entries for next months Munster National.

One of my very favourites, Sternrubin, runs in The Cesarewitch Trial at Newmarket. He’s not my idea of the winner tomorrow, but no way I’m letting him escape at 14’s. I’d love to see him land The Cesarewitch next month, and tomorrow should see what effect the 11 pound rise, not to mention the trip, will have on his chances. I’d be happy with a solid effort tomorrow, 3rd or 4th will do me, as long as he remains in contention for the big one. I’m sure The Cesarewitch is the reason he’s running on the level in the first place. The favourite Couer De Lion, looks solid, but the one who looks very big for tomorrow, is Shrewd, who is also 14’s. Later on on the card, 12’s looks fair for Ancient Astronaut.

At Newbury, The Dubai Duty Free Handicap has a few which catch the eye, not least Brorocco at 12’s, that looks too big to me, but I’ll have to take it on the chin if he wins, as I only want 2 in the race. First up is Fidaawy, who was a very decent winner for me at The Ebor Meeting at very nice odds. He strikes me as the type who could, with some ease, step out of handicap company, and he looks a worthy favourite off of his last 2 runs. 8’s, 5 places, is outstanding value. It’s questionable whether 40’s is outstanding value for Snoano, but he’s one of those horses who I like when the market has dismissed him. Royal Ascot winner this year, at a price then too, off of 102, and he’ll come here off of 103, with the claimer taking 5lbs off. This is his trip, he’s won at the track, and he looks worthy of a risk here. I’ve bet him once or twice before, without success, and not really wanting to miss him when he bounces back, especially if he’s going to be a price. 40’s will do for me. In the 1600, Judicial looks far too big at 14’s, and I’ll take a bit of that. Slightly disappointing at Chester, but happy enough with him at York, and loved the way he did at Beverley, albeit in a weak enough affair.

Cesarewitch Trial
    Sternrubin, Shrewd, Couer De Lion
    Dubai Duty Free Handicap
    Fidaawy, Snoano, Brorocco
    20p Combination Exactas & Trifectas

Brorocco, Fidaawy Exacta paid £58

-£116.36

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12037

Too busy at work this weekend to watch the racing properly.

Jaime Somers and Katnap were for the perms only. Katnap didn’t do too much, but would have been short enough for him, and I hope that’s freshened him up for The Munster National. If a no show there, then it’s safe to say a repeat bid for The Topham will be on the card. Jaime Somers looks, according to reports, to have been easily beaten, but I won’t be watching a reply as she apparently finished distressed. I don’t need to see that.

Delighted with The Duty Free Handicap, with Brorocco winning (despite no cash on him). Fidaawy & Snoano were main bets of the day, and Fidaawy got me a few bob back, and Snoano didn’t completely embarass me either.

Obviously disappointed with Sternubin, and the combination of trip, and rise in the weights, stopped him quickly. Still hope to see him in The Cesarewitch though. Didn’t have to bet him yesterday, with that Ante-Post in mind, but couldn’t leave him at 14’s lol

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12037

Very decent days racing tomorrow, and I’ll definitely have a few perms on the go, and I’ll bet a few on their own as well.

It’s not unusual for me to have a few long terms targets for the jumps, sometimes over a year ahead, but very rarely on the flat. Not the case tomorrow though, and in the 1720, we have Fire Brigade & Chiefofchiefs, who I think could both be challenging for The Cambridgeshire next year. Fire Brigade looks really well treated tomorrow, and just can’t see him out of of the frame, and he looks a fair price at 4’s. Chief is very big looking at 22’s, but I took the 20’s, to cover the 5 places.

Couple of shorties for the perms at Gowran Park, and West Coast Time at 2’s, and Pinotage at 3’s look perfect, and well worth adding. There’s another pair of interest at the track as well, but I won’t be betting them. I’m just a wee bit concerned to see Jaime Somers back out so soon after finishing distressed on Saturday. She’s a nice price, but just can’t bring myself to bet her in these circumstances. Young Turk didn’t live up to my expectations at Listowel a fortnight ago, and though not ruling him out tomorrow, I won’t be with him, albeit he’s a fair price.

At Haydock, I’m definitely going with Lavetta again, after she was a Nonner last time, and the 16’s, 4 Places was more than enough to tempt me back in. A bit and out, but she ran well to my eye at York, and she’s still around her last winning mark. I’ll have a go on her.

Depending on how things go with that lot, I’ll have a few on the AW at night.

At Dundalk, Patrick doesn’t look one to have a huge go on, but still, 33’s still looks too big, and at 20’s, Maudlin Magdalene, who’s had the burden of my cash on her the last twice, is very appealing at 20’s. She has course form, and ran more than respectably last time.

B Fifty Two takes a step into the unknown at Newcastle, but he’ll be considered at around 10’s. Imperial Legend was an old system horse of mine, and though a long time since I bet him, I always look out for him, and I have a feeling tomorrow might be the night for him, and 8’s looks generous, certainly off the back of a couple of his recent runs.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12037

1720 Newmarket
    Fire Brigade, Chiefofchiefs
    50p Reverse Exacta

-£117.36

LostSoldier3
    LostSoldier3
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1443

Strange one with Jaime Sommers, VTC. I thought the previous run came quickly enough. She finished distressed there but they thought it was right to go again today? Must be a real danger of these bad experiences ruining a good mare.

Did you have anything on West Coast Time in a single? I was quite taken with that – looks like she stays all day like her mum. Could make a smashing long distance chaser.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12037

Yup, my thoughts entirely Soldier. As a sport we sometimes don’t help ourselves. You have a nice mare, it finishes distressed, so what do you do, you run her 3 days later :unsure: and in what would be her 13th run of the season, and her 4th in 3 weeks. Sigh!!

Sadly didn’t catch West Coast Time, and was only on the perms, though even that seemed pointless once Lavetta was a non runner (again). I think someone is telling me something with her, and maybe I’m not supposed to bet her. Had a good few quid on her, and was surprised to see her pulled, thought it looked ideal for her. I was going to put the Lavetta stakes on the 1720 at Newmarket, and I wish I had, as would definitely had more on Chiefofchiefs, and was delighted with him, and good to get a return at 20’s, albeit it was a much smaller bet than had been on Lavetta. Both he and Fire Brigade ran well, and happy to escape with a small profit on the day.

Winnings weren’t enough to tempt me on the all weather bets, though I did stick with Imperial Legend, and he never figured. Also, if I’d seen Young Turk out to 10’s, I would definitely have played, but he was one that got away.

As you say though, got to be happy with West Coast Time, really caught my attention last season, and think there’s plenty more to come.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12037

Smashing days racing today, and the obvious highlight is The Cambridgeshire. Love this race, and one of the half dozen on the flat, where I allow myself few extra quid on, and increase my limit. My main fancy is still Dolphin Vista, who was my early go, along with Belgian Bill, and Bravery. Slightly worrying that the prices for that pair have hardly plummeted, but I still think they can run well. I think that Dolphin has been slightly overlooked. He should have been a lot closer in The Lincoln, and I’m happy with his stable debut, as it certainly didn’t do his mark any harm for this. I think it’s telling that he hasn’t been seen for a while, and I just have a feeling he’s been kept for this. Looks to have potentially good draw, will like the going, and I’m hopeful. My #3 from when the entries were published, Bravery, is another who I think has been overlooked. Yes, he hasn’t won since Doncaster, but he’s been running more than acceptably, and he’s now below that mark when he won The Lincoln. I give the pair of them a real chance. I’ve topped them up on the 8 Places.

I’ve added Battle of Marathon, also at the 8 Places. He’s a bit “leftfield” but he’s well down the weights, and ran his best race for a while last time out. Took him 40’s, while GM Hopkins is incredibly well handicapped, has ran well more than once this season, and he must have some sort of chance. The forgotten horse of the race in my opinion, and he’s a nice saver to have at 25’s. I like him a lot to consider topping up at 28’s.

Another horse I like at Newmarket is Accession. He was a very nice winner for me at a proper price a few weeks back, and he’s always worth a second look here. Up 6lb’s for that, but at this track, and on this going, I don’t see why he can’t make the frame. With 5 Places available at 16’s, I have to be with him.

I really did fancy Jonnhy Barnes a lot for The Ayr Gold Cup, and was gutted to lose that meeting. The substitute race, The 32 Red Gold Cup at Haydock has a different feel obviously, and I took 11’s Antepost, albeit for less on than I had him at 25’s for Ayr. I’ve got Get Knotted, for a few quid each way at 25’s.

In the 1405 at the track, I have to have another chance at Hibou. Progressive type from an up and coming yard, and with conditions to suit, he appeals at 10’s, while Isomer, despite a disappointing season so far, looks the type to bounce back, and no surprise to see him run well at 16’s. He looked highly promising last year, and I just can’t give up on him, and he’ll be each way 16’s.

Another race I’m looking at on The Flat, is the 1545 at Ripon, with Red Pike, Classic Seniority, and (shock horror) Big Time all standing out. It might just be too trappy though, and though I’ll no doubt have the exactas on it, I’m not sure if I’ll bet them on their own. Promised myself not to bet Big Time again, but at that price, I might be tempted. I’ll have a look at the earlier races, and decide then.

Some proper jumps action on the go as well at Gowran Park and Market Rasen.

At Gowran, I’ll be very interested to see how Ned Stark looks after his absence, and nice to see him start back over hurdles. If he’s fit and ready, then he could be a real contender for The Munster National. I lost a couple of quid on The PWC Chase, but it still looks a cracking little race, which I’ll enjoy without a bet. Riviera Sun is another horse I’d like to see in The Munster National, and though I won’t be betting him today, he looks a worthy favourite in the 1635.

Market Rasen has it’s usual decent Saturday Card, and in the 1555, I’m happy to have a chance on Late Night Lily at 14’s, while the 1630 really had me scratching my head. In the end, I went for Its’afreebee, who’s an old friend of mine, and stablemate to Late Night Lily. He could be on handy mark. A race where I’d like another, and Ballyboley at 10’s is too big, while there could be an ew chance with Brave Spartacus.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12037

1405 Haydock
    Hibou, Isomer
    50p Reverse Exacta

-£118.36

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12037

32Red Gold Cup
    Johnny Barnes, Get Knotted
    50p Reverse Exacta

-£119.36

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12037

Cambridgeshire
    Dolphin Vista, GM Hopkins, Bravery, Battle of Marathon
    20p Combination Exactas & Trifectas

-£126.56

LostSoldier3
    LostSoldier3
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1443

What a judge you are VTC. Uncanny how you do this again and again in the big field handicaps. :good:

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 503 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.