Nothing Gained 4

Home Forums Tipping and Research Daily Lays And Plays Nothing Gained 4

This topic contains 399 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Flyers Nap 14 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 400 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 11770

Surely the mud would have been perfect for Ypres GM!!!

The going certainly put paid to Lavetta’s participation, which is a shame, as I was very keen on her too.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 11770

Kerry National
    Potters Point, Tempestatefloresco
    £1 Reverse Exacta, and 20p Trifectas, with A Toi Phil & Lord Scoundrel

-£114.36

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 11770

Absolutely delighted with Potters Point today. I had found the race quite tricky to take a hard stance with in the lead up, but as I said on The Race Thread, I had a few quid on, and what a finish, best for a while. What can I say about Lisa O’Neil :heart: she has been just superb for me the last 12 months, and I must invite her out for a Nando’s very soon.

It was great to continue the good run today, and although a small bet, I was happy with how Ventura Secret did it at Carlisle.

I was disappointed that Lavetta was a Non Runner, as I was planning a go, and although I eventually left Soldier To Follow out of things, I did bet the others, and they were in the main disappointing. I was hacked off with myself with Singeur. He went 14’s before the off, and although I knew that the ground was clearly against him, I topped up.

As for the jumpers, not worried at all about Tempestatefloresco, as I knew my fate before the off, and I just wonder as to whether connections will regret sending him over for this. Young Turk looks highly unlikely to be lining up at Cheltenham based on that showing, but I’m increasingly optimistic that Fabulous Saga could be a star this year, and was happy with him again today.

All in all a very good day then, and after Sunday, I’m in a very good position to play the rest of the week. Nice mixed bag on Thursday, and lots of decent types about.

The Handicap Hurdle at Listowel is a strong race, and my old pals Swamp Fox & Western Boy both line up. Western Boy was slightly disappointing at Galway, but that can’t be said for Fox. I really do think that Swamp Fox could be competitive in a “non vintage” Champion Hurdle, though it would probably have to be very Non Vintage, and I think that The Cesarewitch might just be his race. Either way, a win here obviously won’t affect his chances at Newmarket, and he’s to be taken seriously at around 5’s. Western Boy on his day, could make a mockery of the 14’s. To make matters even more confusing, Top Othe Ra & Timi Roli are also in there at 8’s and 18’s, and both look overpriced to me. I’m still not sure how to play this one :wacko:

Elsewhere at Listowel, I’m sure I was keen on West Coast Time in The Bumper at The Festival, and he’ll make any perms I do, while in the last, I will definitely be risking Chain Gang, who if good to go, I really think should be half the price. I’ll definitely bet him on his own, in fact I may just take the 8’s just now.

Some interesting types at Doncaster tomorrow, and in the opener, Hoofalong looks the obvious choice, and though there is a chance he’s regressing, Adam’s Ale is worth risking at around 28’s, that might look a crazy price after the race. There is no chance that Dubka would have won for me in The Ebor, but she did meet some trouble, and wasn’t as bad as the overall losing distance would suggest. I’ll probably add her and the very short priced What A Home to any perms.

It’s very rare that I pay attention to 2 year olds, but I did put up Bumptios a couple of years back, and after being posted missing, I’m happy with how he’s coming along now, and he’s interesting back in a handicap at Epsom tomorrow, while at Chepstow, a real outsider I like is Turnbury. He’s around 33’s, but he can put in the odd encouraging run, and I’ve had some nice returns from him in the last year or so. I’m having a few quid at that price, and I’ll also bet to lay in running.

Happy to play then on Thursday, and happy with how things are going overall. As I said earlier, particularly pleased with how things stand after Sunday and Wednesday, and looking forward to a few days “no pressure” betting.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 11770

1320 Doncaster
    Adam’s Ale, Hoofalong
    50p Reverse Exacta

-£115.36

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 11770

1720 Listowel
    Western Boy, Top Othe Ra, Swamp Fox
    20p Combination Exactas & Trifectas

-£117.76

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 11770

The Handicap Hurdle at Listowel is a strong race, and my old pals Swamp Fox & Western Boy both line up. Western Boy was slightly disappointing at Galway, but that can’t be said for Fox. I really do think that Swamp Fox could be competitive in a “non vintage” Champion Hurdle, though it would probably have to be very Non Vintage, and I think that The Cesarewitch might just be his race. Either way, a win here obviously won’t affect his chances at Newmarket, and he’s to be taken seriously at around 5’s. Western Boy on his day, could make a mockery of the 14’s. To make matters even more confusing, Top Othe Ra & Timi Roli are also in there at 8’s and 18’s, and both look overpriced to me. I’m still not sure how to play this one :wacko:

Elsewhere at Listowel, I’m sure I was keen on West Coast Time in The Bumper at The Festival, and he’ll make any perms I do, while in the last, I will definitely be risking Chain Gang, who if good to go, I really think should be half the price. I’ll definitely bet him on his own, in fact I may just take the 8’s just now.

Some interesting types at Doncaster tomorrow, and in the opener, Hoofalong looks the obvious choice, and though there is a chance he’s regressing, Adam’s Ale is worth risking at around 28’s, that might look a crazy price after the race. There is no chance that Dubka would have won for me in The Ebor, but she did meet some trouble, and wasn’t as bad as the overall losing distance would suggest. I’ll probably add her and the very short priced What A Home to any perms.

It’s very rare that I pay attention to 2 year olds, but I did put up Bumptios a couple of years back, and after being posted missing, I’m happy with how he’s coming along now, and he’s interesting back in a handicap at Epsom tomorrow, while at Chepstow, a real outsider I like is Turnbury. He’s around 33’s, but he can put in the odd encouraging run, and I’ve had some nice returns from him in the last year or so. I’m having a few quid at that price, and I’ll also bet to lay in running.

Happy to play then on Thursday, and happy with how things are going overall. As I said earlier, particularly pleased with how things stand after Sunday and Wednesday, and looking forward to a few days “no pressure” betting.

Chuffed to bits with Turnbury today, and he kept me ahead nicely, not only bagging a place at 33’s, but giving me a very nice trade as well. I really like this horse, and quite why he’s always a big price I just don’t know. I’ve had a few horses like this over the years, the likes of Monkerhostin, Quito, A New Story, First Avenue, Double Ross, Aranhill Chief, and of course, Cause of Causes, horses who, for whatever reason, are continually overpriced, and always worth a try. Ok, Turnbury isn’t in the same league as those, but long may it continue.

He made a huge difference, as there wasn’t much else happening.

Adam’s Ale almost got me the perfect start, but just couldn’t keep it going to the end, and the opposite was true of Hoofalong, who was doing his best work at the end. No complaints though, and both ran their race.

I had no option in the big handicap hurdle at Listowel, I had no option to split my stake 3 ways, and with all 3 in contention turning for home, it was looking good, especially Western Boy, who was my main fancy, but neither he, nor Swamp Fox & Top othe Ra, could quite keep it up. I will continue to consider all 3 of them, and happy enough.

The only other horse I bet on his own was Chain Gang. As I said, I thought he was a false price, and confidence was high as the market seemed to agree, but he eventually finished out the frame.

The perms were down, but What A Home won, and West Coast Time & Bumptious place, but I was let down just a little (again) by Dubka.

I was playing on the Friday anyway, but having kept ahead on the Thursday, I’ll throw a couple of extra pounds on, as I definitely “got away with it”, thanks to Turnbury.

Starting at Doncaster, in the 1350, I really like the way that Whatsthemessage got it done last time, and though this is a different ball game altogether, I cannot resist a tilt at him, regardless of the price. I’ve taken 50’s win, and 40’s ew 4 places. I’m never a fan of putting up unraced types, as it’s essentially guessing, but I will chance Ace Ventura at around 7’s in the 1605, as he’s from a top yard, and though he’s hardly the subject of confident market vibes, I’ll take a chance. I’ve did really poorly this year in these type of Races, but I’m chancing High Jinx at around 16’s. He’s ran very well in this before, and though getting on a bit, off the back of a long lay off, I’ve seen signs of his old self, and happy to have him each way here. When I seen the field for this, I was, genuinely, just pleased that Prince of Aran wasn’t in there………….

….and then I seen him entered at Salisbury tonight :wacko: :wacko: Really happy with him at Ascot in The Gold Cup, and thought he had a live chance at Goodwood, but he was very poor, and wasn’t much better at York. This might be more like it for him, and having lost a few quid on him at Goodwood, it’s very much a recovery mission.

Over at Listowel, I really like the outsider of the field in the big chase, Dromnea, who’s available at 20’s. If on song after a break, that is a massive price, and happy to have a go on him at that price ew. Bet him many times before, and he’s a likeable type, though I’m aware he may have a handicap in his sights later in the year. One more try at the track, and Stucker Hill looks too big at 8’s in the last. I think she had excuses last time, and with Jamie Codd up this time, that looks a fair price.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 11770

Well Dromnea made it another winning day (the wheels must come off soon), and I was absolutely delighted with him, not least because he was the main bet today. It really has been a good spell, and that was the icing on the cake. I really was keen on him, and he looked the winner most of the way. He’s a big brute of a horse, and he seemed to have everything in his favour. It was a proper “scream the house down” job, and the highlight of a very good week.

The rest were very poor, though thankfully only High Jinx steered “north” of minimum stakes. Doesn’t seem much point discussing any of them, as they were all very disappointing. Thank god for Dromnea.

On to Saturdays action, and I’ll start off at Doncaster.

I have 4 Ante-Post plays on the go, with A Momentofmadness & Justanotherbottle in The Portland, while I have Defoe & Raheen House in The St Leger. All each way, and a couple of places would make very happy, they’re obviously very tough races. I’ll make sure there covered in the perms for the 5 places in The Portland, and the 4 Places in The Leger.

I’m very late in from work tonight, so I’ll skip discussing that quartet, as they’re all mentioned on the respective big race threads.

Over at Listowel, the pair which catch the eye, are Rightdownthemiddle & Aspen Colorado. Rightdownthemiddle is risky, but the ability is there, and he’s way lower over hurdles. Therein lies the problem though. He is a decent chaser in his own right, and there’s just the suspicion that this is just a spin to prep him for something like The Munster National. Might be reading too much into it, but I do have my suspicions. I’ve already mentioned, the equally risky Aspen Colorado, several times on the thread, and I just think he’s a proper plot job. He finally makes his handicap debut, so we should know more after that, but I’m going to stick my neck out again, and say that however today goes, he will land a high profile chase this season, be it one of the big handicaps, or The 4 Miler at Cheltenham.

One of the worst things about being a Racing fan is that whenever friends, family, colleagues, or someone you haven’t spoken to for 20 years is going to the racing, they will be on for tips. Got a mate going to Chester, and he’s been pestering me for tips. For a card, I had no intention of getting involved in, I eventually gave him Show Palace, and a horse who’s already cost me recently (twice), Falabelle. I’ve no option but to bet them now myself…………..just in case and all that.

At Musselburgh, Midnitemudcrabs really catches the eye around 6’s, making the trip across The Irish Sea, and the yard does very well here. He’ll definitely be bet on his own, while a return to this track should be the key for Tor, and I really fancy a big run from him at around the same price.

Finally at Lingfield, I will add Lady of Aran at 9’s, as off the back of the debut run, that price looks way too big.

I’ll be doing perms on that lot, but considering the week I’ve had, I should be having a go with singles on the lot of them. I’m hesitant though, as we all know there’s a lot of luck in this game, and I think I may have used up more than my fair share. I’ll definitely not bet Show Palace as a single, but the rest will get bet on their own, why not, though it will be dependent on prices, N/R’s etc. I’ll do the perms at tonights prices, and then play it by ear tomorrow.

LostSoldier3
    LostSoldier3
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1327

I’ve also backed Tor, Bobby. Think Musselburgh is made for her and think there might be enough juice in the ground to stop the favourite.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 11770

Yeah, think track is key here myself John, and though not my kind of price (I only got the 5’s for the perms), I still like her at 9-2, and happy to have a couple of quid on her.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 11770

Portland Handicap
    Justanotherbottle, A Momentofmadness
    50p Reverse Exacta

-£118.76

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 11770

Justanotherbottle is seriously drifting, out to 33’s, but after the week I’ve had, and also having scrapped the Chester races from the above selections, I’ve went and topped up, in for a penny and all that :wacko:

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 11770

Portland Handicap
    Justanotherbottle, A Momentofmadness
    50p Reverse Exacta

-£118.76

20p Trifectas with Vibrant Chords

-£119.96

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 11770

St Leger
    Raheen House, Defoe
    £1 Reverse Exacta, and 20p Trifectas with Douglas McCarthur

-£123.16

LostSoldier3
    LostSoldier3
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1327

Well done with Tor, Bobby. Wasn’t that a horrible angle for the photo from behind the line?

I thought Midnitemudcrabs ran quite well considering the market wasn’t speaking for it. Definitely think there’s a race in that one at some point.

Justanotherbottle ran really well for you too, probably worth marking that one up considering the bad draw it had to deal with.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 11770

Tell me about it. First of all, how the hell did she manage to get up, never fancied her to get there, and secondly, couldn’t believe it when they called her the winner, I was sure Dominating had held on. I gave a big “yeeesss” when they called it, as if was a Photo Finish for The National lol. Was only for a few quid, but I was absolutely delighted. I think you always enjoy it more when it’s one you’ve put up on here. I’ve always had one eye on Midnitemudcrabs because of the midnight angle, though this season is the first time I’ve ever bet him. Bet him at Galway, and he was disappointing, but there’s loads of runs this season, including today, to offer encouragement.

After deciding to leave Chester alone after Falabelle was a N/R, Show Palace obviously went out and won. Dammit.

I was glad to only have small stakes on The Listowel Pair, and having read the reports, I’m grateful. I might watch the Rightdownthemiddle race to get a handle on him, see if I can figure out a plan for him, but as for Aspen Colorado……that comment I made about him winning a big chase, hmmmmmmm, I might let the thread go a couple of pages, and then delete that comment :whistle: , reading the reports, I think I might have called that one “slightly” wrong lol.

I was delighted to get the 9’s for Lady of Aran, and she ran a nice race. She was ew on the perms, but sadly the single was win only.

Main action obviously at Doncaster, and yes Soldier, what a run from Justanotherbottle. As I said, I topped up on him, so yet again, a big priced outsider keeps me well ahead on the day. I’ve mentioned him a few times on the thread, and I really think he’s a horse on the up. Time on his side, and I really thought for a brief moment, he was going to win. Just love these trailblazing types, and he’ll win his share. Very happy with the race overall, and in a race like this, getting the 2, 3, 6 in the trifecta, I was happy to be close. Should have been 2, 3, 5, but for some reason he seemed to stop riding A Momentofmadness about 50 yards from the line. I’ve watched it again, and I don’t know what he was doing. Hope the horse didn’t pick up an injury.

I was a wee bit deflated after The St Leger. I’m obviously not that interested in The Classics, but I really did fancy Raheen House, and I thought he was good enough in those conditions, but he just wasn’t. Nice horse though, and he might give some interest in a few Group Races in the future.

After the week I’ve had, I’ve got to round if off, with one more go, albeit I can’t remember a weaker days racing.

At Ffos Las, I’m with Inuk, around 4’s, I thought he’d be fav, while for the reasons mentioned by LostSoldier, I’m with Waves at 8’s. I’ve also went for Pastoral Music in the last at 7-2, that’s surely too big. Waves is the only single, the other 2 will be permed.

That leaves me with Bath, and it’s Fab for the perms at 11-2, but I just have to have one more loud one on my side this week, and Posh Bounty at 22’s win, and 20’s ew 5 places, is screaming out at me. Only bet him once before, and though beaten, I’ve kept an eye on him as you often do with horses you’ve bet. Yes, been a while since he’s won, but he’s not run that badly that he deserved to be dropped as much as he’s had. I like that angle, and he looks massive to me. I’ll top up should he go bigger.

I’ll hopefully take a break now for a few days until Ayr, but had to keep going this week, as I was keeping ahead, and since Sir Abbot landed the ew Odds, and Remarkable saved the day last Saturday, it’s been a cracking week.

I just need Waves, or especially Posh Bounty now to top things off.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 400 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.