Nothing Gained 4

Home Forums Tipping and Research Daily Lays And Plays Nothing Gained 4

This topic contains 496 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Venture to Cognac Venture to Cognac 13 hours, 19 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 497 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12021

Lifted from Summer Jumpers

I’ve had a go on King of Brega at 16’s. In the 1755, I like Sir Abbot, and Bitview Colin, and I just slightly favour the former at 20’s. Finally, Chesterfield King in the last is a bit of a stab in the dark, but I’ll risk 5’s.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12021

Very happy with Sir Abbot tonight, he’s definitely worth considering when he inevitably goes over the larger obstacles. Nice price tonight, and very glad I played tonight. I was only having a bet tonight as I fancied Cecil Corbett (NR) and King of Brega (Withdrawn), both in the 1825, so was very lucky.

Back to Sir Abbots race, and the winner, Jaime Sommers was very very impressive, and on that performance, he could easily have a very decent season, he seemed to have loads in hand.

On to Saturday, and I’m off to Haydock, and really looking forward to it. Very apprehensive though, as although I’ve had loads of great days at the Races, all my trips South of the Border to Flat Meetings, have ended in abject failure. The worst was York 2 years back when I went for The Friday & Saturday, and barely had a horse placed over the 2 days. Please let it not be as bad as that.

I’ll try not to lose too much, but hey, it’s a day out, so if I lose a few quid, no harm done, and a few of the races I wouldn’t be betting in otherwise, so I’ll have a go anyway.

Curlew River – I don’t think the conditions will be as hard work for him as a good few of the others, so around 10’s, he’s the pick.

Yabass – I really liked Dee Ex Bee at Goodwood and thought he could be very decent, but he got stuffed, and with no obvious excuses either. Not a race to grab the attention too much, but I’ll go for the outsider Yabass, who surely is better than a 14’s chance. If he could grab second that would be great.

Sprint Cup
    On Brando @ 5’s to win, and Growl up to 66’s each way. It would be great if they both gave me a run, and obviously Growl placing will pay more than Brando winning. Fairly hopeful of a decent showing from the pair of them.

Holmsewood won for me at York last time, and he’s hard to desert here. This race though is all about Midnight Malibu for me. I’m obviously no stranger to her, and she gave me a very nice sum last time. Ground conditions probably against her, but I’ll be playing with Skybet, who are 4 places. I’ve only seen 2 of my Midnight bets “live”, Midnight Rider on that very unsuccessful weekend at York 2 years ago, and Seeyouatmidnight when he won at 200’s for me at Hexham, which now seems like a very long time ago. I would love a repeat of Hexham, but weather conditions might mean a repeat of York.

Superior Mile
    I’ve went for Flaming Spear to win at 10’s, and I think he can handle this grade without too much difficulty. Comes here in preference to Ascot.

I’ve already bet Jaameh at 12’s, and I thought was far too big. Very confident of a place at least.

I could have bet most of these, but with conditions likely to be very hard going, it shouldn’t really inconvenience Winston C too much, and happy to chance 12’s.

I’ll keep costs to a minimum, and try to avoid the other meetings.

At Ascot,Von Blucher & Remarkable in The Cunard Handicap. 5 Places available for this race, and Von Blucher is the main fancy, he’s ran well all season. Remarkable will be win only.

In the 1640 at Thirsk, I like Ancient Astronaut at 12’s, and Secret Missile at 16’s, but they might only bet if I have any joy earlier on in the day.

Cunard Handicap
    Von Blucher, Remarkable

-£134.20

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12021

1400 Curragh
    Ice Age, Poyle Vinnie, Racuous
    20p Combination Exactas & Trifectas

-£136.60

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12021

On to Saturday, and I’m off to Haydock, and really looking forward to it. Very apprehensive though, as although I’ve had loads of great days at the Races, all my trips South of the Border to Flat Meetings, have ended in abject failure. The worst was York 2 years back when I went for The Friday & Saturday, and barely had a horse placed over the 2 days. Please let it not be as bad as that.

I’ll try not to lose too much, but hey, it’s a day out, so if I lose a few quid, no harm done, and a few of the races I wouldn’t be betting in otherwise, so I’ll have a go anyway.

Dismal stuff then yesterday at Haydock :wacko: , with only my ew 12’s Jaameh to show for it. Not unduly concerned though, as bar the 2 big races, I did keep everything under control.

Smashing time of it at Ascot with Remarkable, who I got at 14’s, and Pettochside (forgot to put him up apologies), who I got at 7’s, and that Remarkable bet made a huge difference to my day. If I hadn’t stupidly did an exacta on each race at the course, then it would have been a winning day for me. Still, I was very grateful for those 2 at Ascot, as, predictably, things went pear shaped at Haydock.

I won’t dwell on the other 5 races, as no way would I have been betting on them if I hadn’t been at the course.

Not worried at all about Brando as that was a small bet, but most of the damage was done by Growl & Flaming Spear, who I had a few quid on. I had initally taken Growl at 50’s, and topped up on the next morning at 66’s. That was pure greed. I didn’t pay enough attention to his lifeless Ripon run, when I was very glad not to have bet him. I do think that when a horse you really like runs a poor one, you’re more inclined to overlook it and forgive them. I’ll swerve him for a while now, and though that might blow up in my face, as he will get in the money soon, as much as I’ve always liked him, I don’t want him to be a “cliff” horse, I’ve got enough of them. As for Flaming Spear, he was just terrible.

I left the Thirsk race alone thankfully.

A proper bullet dodged then, and although the action here today is pretty tame, there’s plenty going on in Ireland, and having come out of yesterday relatively unscathed, I’m playing again.

I’ve went for Ice Age at 10’s in the opener at The Curragh, win only, as he looks very overpriced, and I’ve had a go, and managed to steal a bit of the 28’s 5 places for Poyle Vinnie.

Really happy to risk Caspian Prince ew at 7’s, in the 1505, and in the 1725, happy with a win bet on Snazzy Jazzy at 6’s.

The 1755 is my kind of race, and I’m definitely taking The Mouse Doctor & Maudlin Magdalene. The Mouse Doctor really caught my eye last time, while I bet Maudlin Magdalene in her last run over timber. She ran very nicely I thought for a way, and I’d be fairly confident she can run well in this again. I’ve taken the 18’s already, and considering topping up. I haven’t bet Mouse yet, as he is going up and down, and I’ll try to nab as big a price as possible. Both ew.

Listowel is a smashing card, and I’ll be with Kylecrue in the 1700, and though it is a hot race, I’ve had a go. I managed to nab 10’s, and I’ll have a “fun” bet on Slainte and Thanks at 33’s+ in the 1550 ew. He has “slivers” of form, which will make me risk a small go on him. Only interest on these shores will be Hope Solo in the last York at 14’s.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12021

Kerry Group Handicap
    Kylecrue, Three Stars, The Gatechecker

Trifecta Paid £185.20

-£101.96

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12021

1720 York
    Hope Solo, Major Jumbo
    50p Reverse Exacta

-£102.96

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 747

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
    Cracking stuff VTC

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12021

1725 Curragh
    Snazzy Jazzy, Shovel It On
    50p Reverse Exacta, and 20p Trifectas with Wolfofbaggotstreet

-£105.16

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12021

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
    Cracking stuff VTC

Cheers Grass, chuffed to bits with Kylecrue, had a proper go on him, and even better to get in a Trifecta early doors.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4048

Well done bob in 6f race nice winner that.And i did ok in my thread today to

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12021

Yeah he did it Ok Darren, and thought 10’s was generous off of his last run.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12021

1755 Curragh
    Maudline Magdalene, The Mouse Doctor, Stronger Than Me

-£107.56

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12021

I’ve went for Ice Age at 10’s in the opener at The Curragh, win only, as he looks very overpriced, and I’ve had a go, and managed to steal a bit of the 28’s 5 places for Poyle Vinnie.

Really happy to risk Caspian Prince ew at 7’s, in the 1505, and in the 1725, happy with a win bet on Snazzy Jazzy at 6’s.

The 1755 is my kind of race, and I’m definitely taking The Mouse Doctor & Maudlin Magdalene. The Mouse Doctor really caught my eye last time, while I bet Maudlin Magdalene in her last run over timber. She ran very nicely I thought for a way, and I’d be fairly confident she can run well in this again. I’ve taken the 18’s already, and considering topping up. I haven’t bet Mouse yet, as he is going up and down, and I’ll try to nab as big a price as possible. Both ew.

Listowel is a smashing card, and I’ll be with Kylecrue in the 1700, and though it is a hot race, I’ve had a go. I managed to nab 10’s, and I’ll have a “fun” bet on Slainte and Thanks at 33’s+ in the 1550 ew. He has “slivers” of form, which will make me risk a small go on him. Only interest on these shores will be Hope Solo in the last York at 14’s.

Very very happy with how today went, with Ice Age, and Kylecrue coming in, and both of them being main bets.

As I said, I did have a go on Ice Age at the 10’s, but I was just a little surprised at how straightforward it was. I liked the price, but thought there would have been a few pressing him at the end. That’s the third or fourth time I’ve bet Poyle Vinnie since he made me a few quid a couple of years back. I don’t want him to become too costly, so I’m not sure I’ll side with him again.

Snazzy Jazz was a smaller bet, but I’ll take that 6’s. I was really impressed with his attitude, the way he came back after being headed, and looking beat. You don’t see that too often, and I’ll definitely be with him again for sure.

Kylecrue was another fair sized bet for me, and not the first time I’ve put him up here. Absolutely chuffed to bits with him, and he won it a lot easier than the winning distance suggested. I mentioned on The Kerry National thread that he had a solid ew chance there, and he didn’t disappoint today. I won’t be in a rush to write him off too quickly at Limerick next month, and he’ll remain one to consider for that meeting. I was a little fortunate with the trifecta, as Bilko would have been a clear third if he hadn’t fallen, but I’ll take it. Horrible fall for Bilko, and just glad he got up from it.

Hope Solo ran a sound race for me at price in the finale at York, and I should have had a saver on Major Jumbo, who I had in the exacta, but not to be, he was a nice price as well. The bet on Slainte and Thanks was that small in the end I shouldn’t have bothered, and although he was prominent for a while, he was easily brushed aside. Caspian Prince was a fairly small bet as well, but in hindsight, it was madness to be against Caravaggio. I didn’t have as much on The Mouse Doctor in the last, as I missed the price, but the flipside of that, is that I put more on Magdalene, and neither troubled the judge.

All in all, a very nice day, best for a while, and very happy with how things are going.

I always play the next day if I’ve won, or had a close shave (like yesterday), but I’m struggling just a bit. At a push, and if he’s still around 11’s, then maybe Kemboy, but it might be better to sit it out.

Looking forward to The Kerry National this week, but although Temptestatefloresco is still there, the going looks very demanding, and I’ll understand if connections don’t send him. If that were the case, it’ll be a couple of smaller bets on the day. A race I always like to have a go on, but just struggled a bit with it this year, and my bet on Tempest isn’t the biggest, while it was a very small go on Abolitionist. With so many ifs and buts, it would be madness to lose too much cash on it.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12021

After that very Super Sunday, it would have been easy to have a go Mon/Tue, that is certainly my usual approach, but I’m glad I sat it out, as I would have struggled.

I’ll have a go on Wednesday though.

Full of trepidation for The Kerry National, but I’m fairly confident of a good run from Potters Point, and got everything crossed for Temptestatefloresco. A Toi Phil is in there as a win only saver, and that saver will cover the sheer number of horses in there who will be getting the odd pound here and there (to soften the blow should they win, so many faves in there).

The race after The Kerry National is really interesting for me. The Albert Bartlett isn’t a race I spend too much time on Ante-Post, but I have 2 big fancies for it at the moment, in the shape of Young Turk & Fabulous Saga, and they both meet up here. Can’t wait to see how they get on with each other (no doubt they’ll both get beat now lol). I reckon they’ll both make the perms, but no chance I’d be betting either of them on their own.

That’s it though for Listowel, and I’ll turn my attention the Flat Action on these shores, where a few catch my attention, especially at Carlisle.

In the opener, The Auld Hoose, at around 16’s, looks worthy of a chance at that price, and in these conditions, especially with 4 Places available. In the next, I’m hoping the jock’s 3lb claim can keep Ventura Secret competitve at around 11-2. Soldier To Follow in the next isn’t my kind of price, but he looks worthy of risking for the perms. Lavetta is a horse I’ve bet a few times, and I thought she travelled well for a long way at York, looking more like her old self. I reckon she’s overpriced here, she’s very much worth a go on her own, and I’ve taken 14’s.

In the second race at Doncaster, I like Rum Runner at around 5’s, lot’s to like about that last run. Last but not least is one of my absolute favourite Flat horses, in Singeur. I’ll probably know my fate earlier on the card, as if it rides too testing he’ll struggle, and I can’t see the trace escaping the rain. I’m having a go though, and he’s fresh from giving me a decent EW lift at Ripon last time. Hopefully there’ll still be 5 places available, and he’s been as good as ever this year, so I’m hopeful at 10’s (weather permitting)

GoldenMiller34
    GoldenMiller34
    Participant
    • Total Posts 564

As you mention Carlisle, did you notice Ypres is a NR – due to Heavy ground!!

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 497 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.