Newbury- two horse fatalities, electrical problem in paddock

Home Forums Horse Racing Newbury- two horse fatalities, electrical problem in paddock

This topic contains 326 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Roseblossom 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 327 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    • Total Posts 18146

Anyway I’ve already said that todays attitude from officials/connections to horse safety is enough to make me turn my back on the sport(despite trying to wind Anthony up and say Im staying) so that’s exactly what I’ll be doing.

It’s a good forum but the I can’t respect the sport given the number of disgusting,imcompetent people on show today at Newbury who risk horse safety and take it for granted. A truly cruel sport.

Ten Plus
    Ten Plus
    • Total Posts 842

What I am struggling to understand is why the two horses which were affected but lived were allowed to go to the start – I know one was withdrawn but the other actually raced. The following is from the BBC report of the incident:

Representing The Merry Giant’s trainer Rebecca Curtis was her partner Gearoid Costello, who said: "He’s badly traumatised and the vets are monitoring him. The horse went down on his hind legs in the paddock but went down to the start. I asked to take him out, but the vets said he was OK. However, I regret running him.

"The chain on his lead rein broke, but it wasn’t scorched."

Surely they should have automatically been withdrawn?

Anonymous
    • Total Posts 18146

Good luck trying to make that point. People here seem to think it was fine to run the first race.

Or as Anthony put’s it;

"It doesn’t make a spit of difference whether they run the first race at Newbury or not."

As I say I’ve lost any respect I had for horse racing given the decision from connections/officials to be so cruel and run the first race. Disgusting

Good Luck everyone

diamond1924
    • Total Posts 50

joncollymore, do you think they should have run the first race?

Burroughhill
    Burroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1735

Re McCoy & Thornton seemingly making light of the situation: sadly horses dying for whatever reason is part of racing every day and yet racing goes on regardless. They have a job to do and have to carry on. I’m sure they would have been sad about the horse’s death, but that doesn’t mean they have to wear black armbands and go into mourning for a week. Life goes on.

And while it’s a tragic event because two horses have died in strange circumstances, again, horses die racing almost every day and just because the circumstances are odd, doesn’t make their deaths any

more

sad. It’s horrible when any horse dies but we don’t have this outcry and palaver every time it happens with people stamping their feet and saying it’s outrageous that the horses were allowed to run in the first. If we’re going to say that, racing shouldn’t happen at all. I know that’s the conclusion Joncol’s come to today, but why didn’t he come to the same conclusion the last time a horse fell in a race? Wasn’t that trainer/owner taking a risk sending him racing anyway? Can a horse be guaranteed safety in any race? No, course it can’t. Any horse sent out to race is taking a risk.

As to the race not being cancelled, I would assume the powers that be, apart from being in confusion, would assume that the problem was in the parade ring, not on the course, therefore racing would be OK.

And whether we like it or not, money probably is a factor in any decision. This was a huge day for Newbury, which is a business, and a decision to cancel could not and should not have been taken lightly. lots of factors to weigh up, especially with Cheltenham just around the corner.

grey dolphin
    grey dolphin
    Participant
    • Total Posts 654

I tend to agree with the view that it was irresponsible to run the first race when there was clearly an unknown problem that may or may not have affected other runners in the race.

Whatever, it’s a terrible day for all involved from the connections to the racecourse officials and all of us who love racing.

Anonymous
    • Total Posts 18146

Yes true but when Barry Geraghty asked Nicky did he want him to go to Warwick his reaction was he could if he wanted but that he himself didn’t really care for any racing today after what happened. I think that was an honourable attitude, life goes on but at least he was showing respect for the remainder of the day, whereas the sports personality was laughing on his way to his next mount despite the freak events which just took place.

"but why didn’t he come to the same conclusion the last time a horse fell in a race?" It’s sad when a horse dies in action but at least there there is no exterior risk that compromises the horses safety in normal everyday racing and every effort is made to ensure that environment is as safe as possible.I accept accident/fatalities happen but opting to run today’s race put every horse in a dangerous environment from the start. Was a novice hurdle really worth it….. It’s plainly clear that they didn’t really know what caused it when they made a decision to race today, in fact they still proceed to play down the electrocution issue until they know for sure, so today’s events for all they know could of been anything at all, poison etc, but yet they allowed horses in the same parade ring race ahead. Irresponsible and disgusting attitude towards welfare.

I firmly feel that officials were desperate for racing to continue and avoid loss of revenue and as such used the first race to test the water and see did the horse go through it ok. After the first race it seems that trainers were unhappy to run and despite the officials trying to wing their way through the first race they had no choice but to put welfare first and money second, all too late imo.

Anyway, this time I’m gone, just wanted to defend why I didn’t come to the same conclusion last time a horse fell.

MarkTT
    MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2274

Absolutely ludicrous to compare today with Hillsborough.

If you read what I said I wasn’t making any comparison at all, just highlighting a situation where human beings make seemingly strange decisions in tragic/stressful circumstances.

Two horses – both acting freakishly passing the same point of the paddock – collapse and die. Is this not an immediate cause for concern ? You then had lads and vets commenting on signs of electrocution – before the first race starts.

Right there. Abandon the meeting.

That they thought there was a serious problem was evident by the closure of the paddock area.

Reason to go ahead ? Money. Pressure from those with it.

I’m quite sure most people in racing will close in, defending those who made the decisions.

They’re wrong. Lydia Hislop was right with her tweets when she questioned the intelligence of the decisions as they were made

MarkTT
    MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2274

Yes true but when Barry Geraghty asked Nicky did he want him to go to Warwick his reaction was he could if he wanted but that he himself didn’t really care for any racing today after what happened. I think that was an honourable attitude, life goes on but at least he was showing respect for the remainder of the day, whereas the sports personality was laughing on his way to his next mount despite the freak events which just took place.

/quote]

I was very disappointed with the attitude of McCoy. He was dashing off to Warwick and made a joke as he passed the camera.

I’m sure JP and the owners of Marching Song weren’t as amused.

cormack15
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9973

Crikey Joncol – talk about a broken record.

We get that you don’t think they should have run the first race, that no one cared about the horses, that you suspect they only attempted to continue for finacial resons, that owners, trainers (and now jockeys) are callous and, most of all, we get that you are finished with the sport and that you are off, never to darken our door again.

We get all that.

What we don’t get is WHY YOU KEEP COMING BACK TO SAY THE SAME THINGS ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!!

On the jockeys – they live with these things day in and day out – exceptional circumstances today granted and perhaps more sensitivity required, but they’d only have had certain info at the time.

MarkTT
    MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2274

Re McCoy & Thornton seemingly making light of the situation: sadly horses dying for whatever reason is part of racing every day and yet racing goes on regardless. They have a job to do and have to carry on.

Are you serious ? I think AP’s the greatest jockey in the sport but he was embarrassing today.

" Racing must go on " Such a cliche and often used in the wrong context

Today showed how pathetically, how embarrasingly bad this sport is run. When asked live on air if the course had been in touch with the electrical authorities, an official replied " I don’t know "

Racing should have been abandoned prior to the first race being run. There are no two ways about that.

" Racing For Change ". Well that’s what horses are racing for, these days. Change. Twopence. That needs to be rectified.
    However, the way to do this is not to make decisions like those made today. Bad press, bad publicity which will affect people visiting the racecourses and being interested in the sport.

Sad, sad day.

Anonymous
    • Total Posts 18146

Why? Very simply

I would agree with the previous comment in that "I’m quite sure most people in racing will close in, defending those who made the decisions" and I feel there are many racing people on here who will do exactly that and try put this down to a freak accident.

I know I sound like a broken record but the reason I keep at it is as not to get overshadowed by racing people who will do exactly as Mark says and I want to try and ensure they can’t.

Its imperative that this investigation not only looks at what happens but also at why the first race went ahead.

Please god the press give racing as much negative press as possible over this, not because I’m spitefull but purely because they deserve it and need to be accountable for their actions which I seriously feel they won’t be.

So that’s why I continue to post as I do.

Anonymous
    • Total Posts 18146

I just hope there is an exterior independent enquiry conducted from outside of racing, which of course there won’t be.

If that’s not possible then at least I hope the running of the first race is investigate just as much as why it happened.

MD of Newbury said "Having suffered two unexplained equine fatalities in the parade ring, for equine and human safety reasons, we took the decision to abandon racing today until the cause could be established." If you had of done that then it would be job well done but the thing is that’s clearly not what happened, instead you ran the first race to see could you get away with it and then you decided that you had to abandon racing until the cause could be established.

Pathetic

notepad
    • Total Posts 50

The first horse walked through the area perfectly, then as you see the following two were exposed to currents of electricity. I suspect foul play here. It could be that this was an (single file) experiment… as an alterative to what they might have been doing on the track

If the current was on the track it could be possible the horses travel fast enough to pass through without a fatality, resulting in what just appears to be a poor performance. We all know there is equally as much value in a poor performance.

Anonymous
    • Total Posts 18146

Good luck trying to make that point. People here seem to think it was fine to run the first race.

Or as Anthony put’s it;

"It doesn’t make a spit of difference whether they run the first race at Newbury or not."

As I say I’ve lost any respect I had for horse racing given the decision from connections/officials to be so cruel and run the first race. Disgusting

Good Luck everyone

Why do you keep prattling on like an old sweetie wife and brining things like jockeys having a laugh into things……….you seem out to do as much damage as you possibly can…..you’re like some old sweetie wife out to make everyone’s life hell.

The horses left the danger area and went to the start.

To stop racing they had to make an executive decision I believe, so no single person could have made that decision.

If they had not gone when they did they would not have been able to catch up had the decison been to carry on with the meeting.

The horse were checked by the vet and cleared to run.

Whether they ran or not affected nothing that was happening in the stands.

If the horses didn’t run they would have returned to their stables

If the horses ran they would return to their stables.

So as someone said it made no difference whatsoever whether they ran or not.

Now I am only guessing that’s the way it went down and I’m not prepared too start name calling anyone until all the fact are known.

You on the other hand are out to hang everyone you can without any knowledge whatsoever about the workings of Newbury racecourse, what really happened……….do you know was their any further danger to anyone? or had they already discovered the problem and cut the power to that area off and as a precaution to make doublely sure they abandoned the meeting?

I have no idea and neither have you so shut the fook up until you do.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 327 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.