New car buying advice – please

Home Forums Lounge New car buying advice – please

This topic contains 10 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Ugly Mare 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1350

This weekend I’m going to have a look at a new car. It’s a Hyundai Amica Atlantic £4,995 on the road. It’s the end of a line with these I believe, as they’re getting new models in April for a £1000 more, so apparently, I’m told, these are selling like hot cakes.
    We shall be trading in our own car which is much larger and I do find it awkward to park , so my husband said go and get a smaller one.

I realise many of you will have much snappier cars than this and it’s probably seen more as a woman’s car, but wonder if you have any experience of it, your wife/girlfriend e.g., any lady drivers here with one? what’s it like?

My main worry and I’d like to know if anyone else would bother about this, is that there’s no passenger air bag, only one for the driver. Would this bother you at all? I’m quite security conscious and it’s making me think.

Grateful, as always, for any advice.

sberry
    sberry
    • Total Posts 2001

and I do find it awkward to park [I can take a joke here…

you said it … women can guide a penis approx 1.5-2 inches wide into a smaller hole, in the dark, with one hand behind their back, drunk

give them a car 10 foot long and a 15 foot parking space, broad daylight, windows, rear-view mirrors, power steering, etc, etc …..

i’ll get me coat

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1350

:lol: Simon, I asked for that..

as for the Seat, bit pricey for me and I prefer a fresh lump of metal :)

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7610

Make sure you drive it before you buy it; know it sounds obvious, but I bought an old Ibiza off my son without trying it first, and I hated it – we just didn’t suit each other. Also check out the reviews on the various car websites, if there’s a problem with the car they’ll tell you…I’ve just bought a new Yaris because they’ve got a 3 year 0 per cent finance deal, jokingly saying ‘I’ve only got to work for 3 more years to pay for it’ and now I can’t walk and I’m having trouble working; talk about tempting fate – but at least I can drive!! hurrah!!!!

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1350

Thank you for that advice Mo, and I’m sorry to hear of your health problems, I hope things get better quickly for you.
    That was a good idea to check website reviews and that’s what I’m doing right now. Generally it seems to be getting a good write up, but the missing passenger air bag is a worry – I shall just have to take it’s place :lol:
    Thanks again.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7610

evecars is a good site; I was amazed at checking up on new cars to find that VW’s havn’t got a good safety/reliabilty record – cars that I’d always been taught to avoid like the plague, Fiats etc now seem to getting rave reviews.Hyundai also have a 5 year warranty which is rather good. When looking at Yaris’s I realised that there were lots of 1litre models for sale, and realised that people were just selling them on very quickly because of the lack of acceleration. All cars now seem to have lousy rear vision, and parking mine is a nightmare, just can’t see out the back at all. I also asked for advice on motoring message boards; the guys on them are so obsessed with cars and are very helpful; one chap from Cornwall gave me loads of advice when my Ibiza was playing up [that car really had it in for me].omigod, can’t you tell I was married to an engineer for 30 years!!!!

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1350

hi Mo,
    Yes that 5 year warranty with Hyundai is good isn’t it?…I know what you mean by lousy rear vision, I used to drive a Ford KA and while it was a nice little run a round, I didn’t enjoy reversing in it as the view was impeded quite a bit, a few blind spots.

We have a Kia now, it’s got loads of boot space which is so useful, but we’ve had it 4 years and we like to trade a car in after this time. We’re careful on the mileage and keep it as nice as we can, so it doesn’t degrade in value too much. I hate all this MOT malarkey, so we try to get a new one every so often.

You’re obviously a whizz with message boards :D

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2420

Margaret, I absolutely insist that you buy yourself a Ferrari, some backless driving gloves, and an Audrey Hepburn headscarf, and to buggery with warranties and fuel economy.

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1350

:lol: :lol: …what a good idea! What would we do without you hopper :D

paulostermeyer
    paulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4705

I have bought a "new" car today, I say new – it’s 6 months old.

My current car is a Picasso, bought new three years ago and it has done me proud, very comfortable for long journeys and absolutely no problems with it whatsoever, just routine services and the usual tyres etc. The original exhaust even lasted 87,000 miles. It was also the first car I had ever bought from new, with the inherent problem that it devalued a few thousand pounds as soon as I drove it the first time. However it has now done 111,500 miles and deserves a quieter life.

My new wheels – a Renault Grand Scenic, another car that is ideal for the number miles I drive, comfortable seating and cruise control. Although I think not having a proper handbrake will take some getting used to – the handbrake is electronic, releasing itself automatically as you drive off and you effectively flick a switch to put it on. When I took it for a test drive I kept reaching for the non-existant hand brake lever at the traffic lights.

I get to pick the car up on Tuesday, which will only give me a week to remember it, so I can find it in the car park at Cheltenham . Perhaps I should attach a flag to the aerial!!!

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1350

…with a car like that Paul, it will probably find you.

Happy motoring :)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.