Meaning behind your TRF Avatar/Username

Home Forums Lounge Meaning behind your TRF Avatar/Username

This topic contains 29 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by graysonscolumn graysonscolumn 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19508

Great story BigG, made me chuckle
    I can remember being a kid, must of been about 6 or 7, before the days of sky tv and mother going around a friends flat a few stories up and dragging me with her. They were chatting away like women do and I decided to take a peek out of the window and seeing one of those big satellite dishes and thinking it must belong to some astronaut or something……

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7200

your story made me smile too Graham, your mum must have been some character taking on the Mr. Hoighty Toighty Smyyyyyyythe. The threat of her calling round in person with ‘The Boys’ must have scared the pants off him…LOL Couldn’t help thinking of him as some kind of Kenneth Williams character runnning round Ladbrokes screeching ‘Infamy! Infamy! they’ve all got it Infamy!’ 😉
    Maybe when it gets a bit quieter on here over New Year you can tell us a few more of those stories :yes: ..Jac X

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    BigG
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4566

Lol Nathan, that looked spookily like it.

Jac, your charactarisation of Mr Smyyyyyyythe, just about fits the bill.
    She wasn’t so much going to go up to see him with ‘the boys’, she was going
    to get them to come round with a JCB, and rip the thing out of the garden. I
    suppose that would put the wind up him just as much.

She was a great mum Jac, fiercely protective of her family. I was a kid in primary,
    maybe about 8, and I had done well in an English test. My teacher, Mrs Glover (Grrrrrrr)
    gave me a rubber in the shape of a rabbit as a prize. I was well chuffed and a day or
    so later I had made a mistake, and used the rubber to rub it out. Mrs Glover, who had
    seen me do this, walked up behind me, and with these wooden pointers teachers used then,
    she brought it down on the back of my hand and punctured it, blood actually spurted. I
    ran out the class and all the way home. Mum marched me back up to the school, and straight
    into the headmasters office. He knew my mum, he lived in the same street as us, and tried
    to calm matters down. He said that Mrs Glover hadn’t been very well and agreed to call her
    to the office. I remember standing in the corner, and when Mrs Glover came into the room,
    smiling at my mum and explaining that you weren’t allowed to use rubbers in her class. The
    headmaster only got a few words out before I saw my mum reach across the desk and drag Mrs
    Glover right over his desk. It was bit of an eye opener for me, my mum looking to throttle
    Mrs Glover, with the headmaster diving in to try and separate them.

We left with my mum saying that I would be back at school the next day, and that Mrs Glover
    better not be. I never saw Mrs Glover again, I’ve no idea what happened to her. Things have
    changed a lot, nowadays she would be in the jail, but back in the early 60s kids were still
    arriving home with red weals halfway up their arm for getting the belt, and that was acceptable.
    Despite all this, my mum wasn’t a violent person, but heaven help anyone who threatened her kids.

I could write a book about my mum, and my gran for that matter, but I think I’ll leave it there,
    I think you get the picture B-)

Tonge
    Tonge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 736

I keep thinking that I ought to have picked something more imaginative than my surname. This post might spur me to try to think of something!

My photo is Sprinter Sacre getting washed down – a photo I took after his last race at Sandown. I have one on my wall too, saddo that I am.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19508

Sheffield United had a decent young player a few years ago with the surname Tonge.
    I saw Sprinter getting washed down after a race at Cheltenham, I’ve not seen a better specimen of a horse in my life, he must have won paddock pick a lot.

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7200

@tonge
    Certainly not a saddo, I’m sitting here typing this up looking at
    Ouija Board, Frankel, Kauto Star and New Approach who used to be my Avatar before Kool Kompany took over.
    I saw New Approach at Dalham Hall Stud in his first year there and took a picture of him which my son put onto canvas and it sits above my computer:-

Here is New Approach just starting his new career as a Stallion, his field backed onto Sheik Mohammed’s house within the Stud and every morning Sheik Mo would come out with an apple for his favourite racehorse.

Brand new arrival at Dalham Hall Stud.
    How different he looks today as a fully fledged stallion. :heart:

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7200

@ BigG
    LOL…Seems a lot of the women in your life have something to do with the letter ‘G’ Graham.
    Your mum must have been a lot of fun and having scared the life out of Mrs Glover, she probably left town in the early hours to join the Foreign Legion for women if that actually exists :wacko:

Teachers could be very vicious to their pupils years ago as I remember an Art Teacher who was a dab hand at lunging a blackboard chalk eraser across the class, this was about 6 inches long consisting of a wooden top holding a spongy leather clad eraser part. We all learned to duck or quickly put up our desk lids like the Vikings going into battle..I think he disappeared suddenly too but it was with the new young History teacher who joined not long after… 😉 :heart: Jac

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7200

Not on this forum (that’s just a combination of mine and my dogs name) but on another forum I’m Tegan, because I had a dear departed friend who used to say to me when I was scared of something (eg works Xmas party) ‘brave heart, Tegan’. Tegan was a Dr Who character that I didn’t know of, and that’s what the Dr used to say to her.

Moe we need to see a picture of your dog :yes: :rose:
    What breed is she/he?
    I never watched Dr. Who but Tegan is quite an unusual username.

BigG
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4566

Lol Jac, I love the thought of you and your classmates quickly performing
    synchronised desk lid lifting, like vikings going into battle. It’s great
    when words paint a picture like that. I had a good laugh :good:

botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2380

Mine is the childhood nickname of Mrs Botchy, given to her by her family since childhood. She still lives up to her nickname in causing accidents to herself and whatever she touches in general.

I would get refused life insurance if i told them i lived in the same house as her. :yes:

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7200

Mine is the childhood nickname of Mrs Botchy, given to her by her family since childhood. She still lives up to her nickname in causing accidents to herself and whatever she touches in general.

I would get refused life insurance if i told them i lived in the same house as her. :yes:

Ha ha Botchy I can sympathise with Mrs Botchy being especially good at knocking glasses of wine over myself (or others) at the dinner table. My worst thing though was when I was working in London and I ran to get on a train pulling out of the station only to loose my shoe as I jumped on. I had to get off at the next stop catch the train back with only one shoe on and hurry to get the stationmaster to retrieve it for me.
    They never even believed my excuse for being late for work :wacko: ..Jac

paulostermeyer
    paulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4705

Nothing exciting about my user name – it is my name.

I really have this thing about anonymous posters on forums – my view is if you can’t say something openly, under your own name, you shouldn’t say it at all.

The only exception to that would be whistle-blowing, then again I’m so bloody minded and outspoken even if I was a whistle blower I would probably do it openly.

As for my avatar, again very boring and probably very narcissist but a picture of me Derby Day 2012 – I can’t even use a recent photo – useless!!!

DiamondGeezer
    DiamondGeezer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 404

Back in 1993 I was registering for what was the C4 Racing Forum and was struggling for a name to use.Had the radio on and this was in the days when CB radios were the in thing and every motorist using one had a different “handle”. Anyway “Diamond Geezer” rang in about a hold up on the M25 and I adopted his “handle” there and then and have used it many a racing forum over the years, some of them now defunct. Maybe it was me 🙂

Avatar self explanatory plus I can find my own posts quickly when scrolling down a page owing to its colour.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7620

Do you ever wonder who the ‘real’ Diamond Geezer is/ was and what he’s doing now? Or if he knows how famous he now is!

graysonscolumn
    graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7112

My username was created at the suggestion of Geoff Sanderson, former assistant trainer to Ted Caine and thus assistant trainer of Quixall Crossett, way back in autumn 2000.

Geoff was keen for me to add an occasional opinion piece to the other editorial and statto stuff I was doing for Quixall’s website at the time; and whilst the idea of a graphic comprising my head superimposed on the top of Nelson’s Column never materialised, the column of pieces itself did.

The avatar is pretty self-explanatory. As the son of a German immigrant utterly wedded to the fundamentally peace-seeking and cooperative ideals of the EU, and with too much of my personal, ideological and (latterly) professional DNA intertwined with those ideals, there will always be twelve stars around my heart.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.