Meaning behind your TRF Avatar/Username

Home Forums Lounge Meaning behind your TRF Avatar/Username

This topic contains 23 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by BigG BigG 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6098

Always been interested in how people decide on the username and possibly the Avatar that will represent them on Internet Forum.
    Mine and quite a few are self explanatory in the most part, love for a certain horse or person but there are some obscure one’s out there that might have an interesting story behind them, would be interested to hear.

The reason I chose Triptych to represent me on Forums is because she was a feisty mare who could hold her own against the boys having been the first filly to win the Irish 2000 Guineas and I’m always trying hard to do her justice.
    I have always loved her, she didn’t win all before her but she always tried her heart out. Sadly she died in a freak accident at stud whilst in foal to Mr. Prospector.
    What a legacy she would have left us if she had survived. I feel she is always with me spurring me on. :heart: :heart: Jac

• This topic was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Triptych Triptych. Reason: Amended to include content omitted in original post
    Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 17490

Is an avatar the photo and not a username…….?
    I’m guessing gingertipster was named after his strawberry blonde barnet but it maybe because his fav tv show is Garfield.
    Jonibake is for his love of cooking
    Grasshopper was good at the longjump at school
    gamble hit the g instead of the r

:rose: :rose: :rose: :rose:

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    Matron
    Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5284

@nathan Hughes

You are right – I didn’t read the OP properly.

I have deleted it as it was irrelevant.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 17490

That’s a shame Matron
    I enjoyed that story

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    LostSoldier3
    LostSoldier3
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1444

Lost Soldier Three was a good handicapper a few years ago. Never really had many bets on the horse but I really liked the name – something a bit emo about it. I love the low-grade racing and I felt the name connected with the life of the average racehorse, particularly in the context of his own career.

He was rated around 100 for Luca Cumani for a while, sent off fav for a few heritage handicaps too. Gradually he faded away from the top level, slogging around in staying handicaps up north for Dandy Nicholls for a while before dropping down to sellers and claimers. He was then sold to France and went through the hands of three or four obscure trainers at a lowly level. He was still racing at age 13.

This is all very pretentious I know. So many horses are just lost soldiers in the end, making up the numbers – barely forgotten because they barely registered as individuals with anyone in the first place.

Long story short, I like the name because I’m interested in the stories of low-graders and think everyone should be too.

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6098

Is an avatar the photo and not a username…….?
    I’m guessing gingertipster was named after his strawberry blonde barnet but it maybe because his fav tv show is Garfield.
    Jonibake is for his love of cooking
    Grasshopper was good at the longjump at school
    gamble hit the g instead of the r

:rose: :rose: :rose: :rose:

Thanks Nathan I did really mean USERNAME but also Avatar as well if appropriate (I know yours is always changing). Mine is Kool Kompany (just love horses with big white faces :heart: ).

@matron
    I loved your story Robin please put it back on here. Carry on Matron was one of my fav films
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa4V3p5vY6o

Is there anyway you can amend the title of my post to say Avatar/Username, if not no worries but please bring back the story of how you got your Username.

@LS3
    Really interesting story of your username and what you say about the low-graders is so right they are loyal servants to the racing game and should never be forgotten, they never know what fate lay in store for them at the hands of new trainers and owners and at the end of their racing days hopefully there is a green field somewhere for them to kick their heels in retirement.

Matron
    Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5284

When I rented an office at an airport many years ago, I mentioned to one of the guys from the control tower that I had watched an old “Carry-On” film from the night before. He looked at me and said “Matron” – and that was my nickname henceforth.

To this day many people still call me Matron and not by my proper name of Robin.

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6098

Thanks for that Robin, it was too good a story to lose and hope there will be many more.
    When I first started posting on here I thought you were a woman who paced through the Threads keeping the Forum under a watchful eye 😉 Well partly true and you can certainly give a badly named Thread a quick wash and brush up.. :good: :good: Thank you…Jac

aaronizneez
    aaronizneez
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1587

When I was young I had an old Dandy or Beano annual and there was a couple of pages in their with made up names of children to their parents such as Mr & Mrs Izneez and their furry son Aaron. Others that I have used on other forums include Peregrine Trousers, Walter Wallcarpeting and a particular favourite Mr & Mrs Felloffthechimney and their steeplejack son Vladimir

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by aaronizneez aaronizneez.
    Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6098

Why was he furry Aaron? Was he a canine ‘son’?.
    I don’t recall that family only Desperate Dan eating cow pies and Dennis The Menace.
    Vladimir Felloffthechimney is a Mighty username. :good:

robnorth
    robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4014

User Name is my own name, or the abbreviated form of Robert North. In some circles I’m known as Rob, racing being one of them, in others such as work and family I’m Robert. I use my own name because it makes me think more carefully about what I’m posting! Yeah, I know, it still doesn’t stop me posting cr*p, but at least it’s well thought out cr*p!

The avatar is the Forth Bridge, an iconic image from the area in which I now live. If I’d still been in Didcot it would probably have been a cooling tower!

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by robnorth robnorth.
    aaronizneez
    aaronizneez
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1587

Why was he furry Aaron? Was he a canine ‘son’?.
    I don’t recall that family only Desperate Dan eating cow pies and Dennis The Menace.
    Vladimir Felloffthechimney is a Mighty username. :good:

It wasn’t a regular feature Triptych just a one off piece in the annual. I think the “furry” piece intimated he was extremely hairy because he had hair on his knees. When Terry Wogan was on the radio a lot of his listeners use to use similarly made up names such as Hugh Jarse and Rudolph Hooker to name two he had to be careful with

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6098

Now I get your Avatar aaronizneez :good: Thanks for puttng me on the right track. Jac

@robnorth
    That’s one of my favourite parts of the world Rob apart from Newmarket 😉
    We have friends who live close by in Dalgety Bay. :mail:

BigG
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3463

My name, BigG, sounds pretty straightforward. Those that know me know my name is Graham,
    and it’s true that I am 6’2″. However I’ve never been called BigG in my puff. This is the
    first, and only, racing forum I’ve joined and when thinking of what to put down, I’m not sure
    why it came to mind at that point, but my mum, Gladys, who died not long before I joined here,
    was relatively tall for a woman in Glasgow, and was known as BigG. I suppose It fitted me, and
    it felt apt at the time.

So it’s not particularly amusing, but is a nice reminder for me. Whilst I mention my mum, I could
    tell a story that gives you an idea why she was called BigG, apart from her height. My mum was
    living in a flat in Dunoon, where I am now, it had been pretty much derelict but she bought it
    and had it gutted top to bottom. Below the flat happens to be a Ladbrokes shop, but the walled
    garden at the back was owned by my mum. Believe it or not, the satellite dish Ladbrokes needed
    was attached to the wall inside my mums garden. It’s a small community and we all kind of scratch
    each other’s backs, so it wasn’t a problem to my mum. Some time later, they replaced the dish with
    something that wouldn’t have looked out of place at Jodrell Bank. My mum went to speak to the girls
    in the shop, they were pretty horrified too and gave my mum the big boss’s number. Bear in mind that
    my mum was well in her 70s at this time, the conversation went like this…..

Mum – Hello Mr Smith, this is Mrs Clark and I live above your Ladbrokes shop, the one where
    you’ve put a hulking big satellite dish in my garden.

Ladbrokes Boss – (after a pause, and in a plummy voice) Smythe (said elongating the name Smyyyyyythe)

Mum – Pardon?

Ladbrokes Boss – Smythe (again dragging the name out emphasizing the y’s)

Mum – Well, Smith Smythe, shit shite it’s all the same to me, get that f’n dish out
    or I’ll get the boys up with a JCB.

Needless to say Mr “bools in the mouth” Smyyyyythe, was quick to rectify things, and
    also they paid for paving in the back garden as a “good will gesture”

She wasn’t a woman to be trifled with, I could tell so many stories (actually some I
    couldn’t) so I’m happy to be reminded every time someone types up BigG to me :good:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7459

Not on this forum (that’s just a combination of mine and my dogs name) but on another forum I’m Tegan, because I had a dear departed friend who used to say to me when I was scared of something (eg works Xmas party) ‘brave heart, Tegan’. Tegan was a Dr Who character that I didn’t know of, and that’s what the Dr used to say to her.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.