Lingfield Review

Home Forums Horse Racing Lingfield Review

This topic contains 14 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Neil Watson 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1421

After many weeks since my last meeting at Towcester on Hennessy Day i have been starved of Racing for quite a while, especially here in the North where we seem to have been forgotten about and left to fend for ourselves.

Normally on the weekend just gone i usually go to Warwick but as this was called off due to the snow and frost i decided to knock another course off the list and go to Lingfield for an afternoon on the All Weather.

Lingfield in Surrey is famed for racing all year round and its one of the few places to gurantee you racing no matter what the weather is.

After a four and a bit hour journey going through places such as Eccles,Manchester,Stockport,Stoke,Milton Keyens,Watford,London,Croydon and Wandsworth i made it on course at about 11.50 and payed £13 to get in which is quite good as the card itself was pretty decent for an AW meeting with a good handicap and conditions race as the main events.

Food wise their is plenty of choice and i had a toasted Cheese and Ham Sandwich which was ok and a cup of tea although the Fish and Chip bar was very tempting.

In the bookies Barry Dennis was chatting with punters and annoyingly went home with £10 of my money due to two losing bets.

Racing wise it was an ok day punting wise with Three winning bets on the day, two Swingers one of which payed out just over £12 in the 1m2f Class 5 handicap which Jeer beat Charlie Smirke in a thrilling finish and in the 7f Conditions race Atlantic Story won easily at 1-2 and i also had the exacta on him to beat Aeroplane of which there were plenty going over being so close to the major London airports.

The major handicap was the Class 2 1m2f race in which four were in line with 1f to go and Bridge of Gold won on only his fourth career start for the stable of M.A. Magnusson is quite obviously is going to finish what he started with this horse and looks a nice type to go battle with when the turf begins.

Course wise i like Lingfield as it seems like a mixture of Goodwood and July Course with a hint of Windsor behind it and is the most sceninc of all the AW tracks in the country, the crowd was small but no doubt that on summer Saturday nights the place will come into its own.

This is a course i would go to again without doubt and is very easy to reach on the train from Victoria in just short of 50mins which is ample time to look at the form and enjoy the scenery as it passes from the window.

So all in all a very enjoyable day out and i was just so glad to be back racing after an enforced absence due to Mother Nature being such a pain in the arse.

Ken(West Derby)
    Ken(West Derby)
    • Total Posts 1135

.. Barry Dennis was chatting with punters and annoyingly went home with £10 of my money due to two losing bets.

Oh how I used to enjoy having a chat with the bookies. That is until I realised that the time could be better spent studying form and not be distracted by their engaging conversations. You see Neil, they conspire to make you feel they’re your best friend and therefore you’ll not feel resentful when they swallow your hard-earned cash. Then, when you do win, you feel guilty at taking the food out of their kids’ mouths. Subconsciously you prefer to lose so that you’re still their ‘friend’ and aren’t going to be responsible for their unhappiness. It’s a vicious circle.
    Incidentally, is it the same Barry Dennis who writes on here? In which case I think it’s only fair he sends you your tenner for giving him some free advertising.
    K
    p.s. Enjoyed reading your ‘Day at the Races’ report.

barry dennis
    • Total Posts 410

please Neil introduce yourself next visit, love to meet real people, punters, who use forums, but aren’t frightened of revealing their identity by hiding behind silly names.

Ken(West Derby)
    Ken(West Derby)
    • Total Posts 1135

There we are Neil – a result! Looks as though I’ve persuaded Barry to give you a refund. Must say though, he doesn’t sound in the best of moods today – maybe I’m wrong. But I can’t understand why he’s not keen on people using non-de-plumes on this forum; after all, some of us might not want our bank managers doing an audit trail.
    K

gamble
    • Total Posts 2512

Thank you Mr Watson
    for an interesting report
    on a day out at Ligfield.
    You have certainly whet
    my appetite to go there with
    its fields and jolly characters
    wanting a chat,
    when all I had previuosly
    heard about was the rather
    wet and folorn looking
    car park.

You have sold me the whole package !

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1421

Thanks all for the positive feedback.

Will say hello to Barry next time i am darn sarf but i shall be at Haydock my local track this Saturday for the Peter Marsh Chase all being well.

I loved my visit to Lingfield and its a very friendly place and well worth another visit without doubt.

paulostermeyer
    paulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4705

I loved my visit to Lingfield and its a very friendly place and well worth another visit without doubt.

Try a summer visit and you will see it at its very best – it gives Ripon a good run for its money as the "garden racecourse"

trevorgee
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9

I was a member for many years at Lingfield and the saturday summer evening meetings were great.
    However I gave it up a couple of years ago I got fed up with poor quality racing only put on to get loads of youngsters in to fill the bars.
    If that’s what you want OK but if you are there for the racing avoid the evening meetings.

anthonycutt
    anthonycutt
    • Total Posts 1013

I was a member for many years at Lingfield and the saturday summer evening meetings were great.
    However I gave it up a couple of years ago I got fed up with poor quality racing only put on to get loads of youngsters in to fill the bars.
    If that’s what you want OK but if you are there for the racing avoid the evening meetings.

Ah, get back to Towcester Grandad!

Just kidding.

A serious question Trevor; are the jumps meetings at Lingfield low quality too? I’m probably wrong but Lingfield looks to me like a place severely lacking in class.

trevorgee
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9

They are not too bad when they go ahead,many are cancelled because the ground it gets bottomless in winter.
    They have a great card in early December with a graded hurdle race and decent novice chase but it often falls to the weather.
    Lingfield is a nice track and has a good atmosphere but the summer evening meetings get very crowded which proves they are doing something right but I feel they forget the genuine racing fans especially members at these meetings.

Trevor

Maxilon 5
    Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2620

Lingfield seemed a lovely looking course and I’ve got fond memories of my evening there.

I don’t mind when tracks like Wolver (Boxing Day), Lingers (Summer evenings), and Southwell (the Christmas meetings, New Years day, Ladies Night), attract the newbies, families, parties and once a year crowd because they give the course a payday and keep the investors interested allowing the hard core to enjoy their Tuesdays and Thursdays.

barry dennis
    • Total Posts 410

spot on Max

graysonscolumn
    graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7112

They have a great card in early December with a graded hurdle race and decent novice chase but it often falls to the weather.

…as it sort of did this season – the hurdles course was unfit for purpose, so the three races over timber were replaced by two extra chases and an extra Polytrack bumper.

The two Graded races on that card have become, if we’re honest, among the most winnable and thinly-patronised examples of their kind on the calendar, and a three-runner renewal of the December Novices’ Chase this time around won’t have done much to refute that claim (for all that the winner, Burton Port, is pretty likeable).

I’m not sure it’s done the greatest of favours by being run on an otherwise busy Saturday, although I don’t doubt such scheduling gets a few proverbial bums on seats. A prime candidate for a meeting to be moved onto a Sunday, perhaps? There would have been only modest fare at Hereford and Kempton AW in opposition to it 24 hours later.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

paulostermeyer
    paulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4705

I just have this suspicion the executive at Lingfield would not be overly upset if they eventially waved the white flag on NH racing – they seem to pay lip service to it rather than embrace it with enthusiasm.

graysonscolumn
    graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7112

Depends, Paul, if it’s the same executive who let jumps racing at Leafy retract to just one or two meetings about 10 seasons ago.

I’m not sure whether a change of heart, change of personnel in charge, or pressure from racegoers and / or connections prompted a swelling of fixture numbers again, but swell again they did; and when the course is riding good or faster and puts on the right sort of races, it will attract big fields (at least one 20-runner 2m handicap hurdle last season, if memory serves).

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.