Joni's Poni's – Season 6

Home Forums Tipping and Research Daily Lays And Plays Joni's Poni's – Season 6

This topic contains 435 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Jonibake 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 436 total)
  • Author

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3674

Thanks as always for your empathy Gordio. You never fail to hit where it hurts 🙁 But you are right. Fancy me deserting my hero?!!! I won’t make the same mistake twice. How is an impressive Craven winner 10-1 for the Guineas?!!!!

A couple more early bets:

£100 win Dream Castle – 3-1 – Greenham loser
    £50ew Eminent – 10-1 – 2,000 Guineas loser

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

The Ante-Post King
    The Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8823

Thanks as always for your empathy Gordio. You never fail to hit where it hurts :( But you are right. Fancy me deserting my hero?!!! I won’t make the same mistake twice. How is an impressive Craven winner 10-1 for the Guineas?!!!!

A couple more early bets:

£100 win Dream Castle – 3-1 – Greenham
    £50ew Eminent – 10-1 – 2,000 Guineas

You know I know how it feels pal thats why I admire your tenacity.You still have issues with your staking imo.There’s no question you have the ability but for someone who has the confidence to sing and sing brilliantly you definitely panic when it comes to staking….Tell me I’m wrong pal?

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6088

Lots of people had doubts and even friends that I spoke to at the races today that had seen him win his Maiden last year didn’t think Eminent would win, it was all about Rivet and War Decree, managed to cheer them all up with coffee and extra large helpings of Victoria Sponge after racing.
    Wish you and Gord had been there to share it but sadly I couldn’t open up the Champagne until I got home 😉

Looking forward to seeing Frankel and Midday’s baby girl Mori run later, good luck with her and your treble…Jac :rose:

I meant to ask either yourself or Gord…
    What do you think about Eminent’s chances if he went down the Derby route?
    1. Do you think he would get a mile and a half?
    2. Do you think he would handle the course as presuming he wins or runs well in the Guineas
    he has only ever run a straight mile.

I’m really excited about his chances in The 2000 Guineas but wonder whether he would be a Derby type.

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3674

Jac – I think he certainly could get the Derby trip. The dam ran only once over 12f but her mother was a very good 12f mare and produced similarly good types like Pretty Polly winner Diamondsandrubies. Obviously the jury is still out on whether the Frankel’s will be more effective over 8, 10 or 12f but Monarch’s Glen certainly looked a decent middle-distance horse in the making over 11f the other day and HIS dam was more of a miler.

Watching it yesterday, there is no doubt in my mind that Eminent will be even better over further. Coming into the dip he looked like he might get outpaced but he really lengthened when he hit the rising ground and powered through the line. If a horse stays that well at Newmarket then they are virtually certain to stay at least 10f.

As for the demands of Epsom, well Eminent seems to be well balanced like most Frankel’s and he handled the dip very well. Of course he is a big horse and they don’t always take to Epsom but Jim Crowley said that he has a good mind so I would be hopeful that he will be fine. I certainly wouldn’t be putting you off backing him Jac!!!

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6088

Thank you Joni that explanation has made me confident he can achieve this :good:
    I’m just about to settle down and watch it all again while I have the morning free..EMINENT certainly did handle the dip very well and it was where he was doing his best work so confident now that he could be the first Frankel to win a Derby.
    Enjoy your day at Newbury and looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Mori and the other Frankels..Jac :rose:

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3674

-£70.49

A very interesting day and I am absolutely sure I saw the winner of this years Oaks. It has been a while since I have been as impressed by a filly as I was by Shutter Speed today. From the moment she walked into the paddock she looked a superstar. Tall and imposing and very relaxed. She was keen early on but travelled powerfully into the race and won pretty easily against an excellent yard stick. I have taken the 8’s – well done to Stevie C for backing her at 16’s before the race. It will take a very good one to beat her imo. I have some photos to post later.

Mori was definitely in need of the race. In fact I would be very wary of backing too many of Sir Michaels at the moment as, on today’s evidence at least, he has got them nowhere near as fit as Johnny G for example. More took a while to settle into the bridal and then ran on at the one pace. It is clear as to why she is not entered in the Oaks but I wouldn’t give up on her just yet and I am sure you will see a much better effort next time. I’m not sure it was the strongest maiden though. Chessman looked like he HAD to win a furlong out but the winner kept on gamely.

I’m really looking forward to tomorrow and I think we will see some great racing. Can you believe me and the kiddies will be seeing 6 Frankel’s in action!! In the first I will oppose Midterm as I would be wary of backing the stable and so have had a few quid on Hugo Palmer’s Crimean Tatar . I know that HP thinks the world of this horse and even thinks he could have been a Derby winner if he hadn’t got injured. He will have to be good to win this but his work has been good apparently so he should go well. I have stayed faithful to Queen Kindly in the Fred Darling. She has the fav to beat of course but she looked a serious filly last year until she went over the top in the Cheveley Park. Her trainer says she has grown since last year and is working very well. If she stays she should go close. I am already on Dream Castle in the Greenham and might have one or two bets on the day when I see them in the paddock.

£100ew Shutter Speed – 8-1 – Oaks
    £50ew Crimean Tatar – 9-2 – John Porter lost
    £75ew Queen Kindly – 7-2 – Fred Darling lost
    £5 win patent (plus Dream Castle)

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3674

A couple more bets for today before I leave. I like to back Group horses in handicaps and I have a feeling that Chelsea Lad could fall into that category. I would also never forgive myself if all the Frankel’s won and I wasn’t on!!

£25ew Chelsea Lad – 9-2 – Spring Cup lost
    £1ew Lucky 31 Queen Kindly, Dream Castle, Commander, Tango Fire, UAE King

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6088

Good luck today Joni, really jealous of you being amongst all those Frankels at Newbury, have a great day. :good:

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3674

Thanks Jac!!!

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 748

You lot pick good ones so on reading this I put a wee treble on Crimean Tatar, Queen Kindly and Dream Castle.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3674

£50 win Commander – pick on paddock lost

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3674

A real horror show today – just one of those days where nothing went right. But the kiddies loved it, they had their photo taken with Ryan Moore and saw The Queen. They also had more winners than me!!

Hopefully I learned one or two things. My 3 year old told me that Munnaha would win the first as soon as he saw him in the paddock. The fittest two horses finished first and second. Midterm and Crimean Tatar both ran well but got outpaced on the quick ground and will both improve greatly for the run. CT especially is a horse to follow especially on easier ground.

It is far too easy to blame jockeys for defeats but I have to say I thought Jamie Spencer gave Queen Kindly far too much to do in the Fred Darling. He must have given the winner 10 lengths and was always struggling to pick them up on that ground. It’s not like they even went that quick. I appreciate that they were worried about the 7f but the annoying thing is that we are now none the wiser. I mean could anyone really say that she definitely does or doesn’t stay 7f based on today? I thought the winner was ok and won well but I was more impressed with the stablemate that won at Newmarket than this one.

The Greenham was a massive frustration. A furlong out I was putting my binoculars down ready to start clapping an incredibly impressive winner. Dream Castle had shot clear and Barney Roy was struggling. But in that final furlong DC’s stride started to shorten and the winner kept going and won going away. I am sure they are both high class colts but they are clearly very different colts as well. One is all about speed, the other more about stamina. This race and the Craven do seem to prove what I was saying last year; that the 2 y/o milers were not a great bunch. Backers of Churchill beware… If I was Aidan I would be supplementing Orderofthegarter…

After that it got worse. Chelsea Lad was a monkey in the paddock and then Ryan Moore pulled him up. Commander looked very good in the paddock but got pipped and the other Frankel’s were all disappointing.

I have had so many wonderful days racing and the odd terrible one. Unfortunately this was one of those terrible ones but that’s racing and life. Onwards and upwards for the rest of the season!!

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12024

A real horror show today – just one of those days where nothing went right.

No luck Joni, had the exact same with Ayr on Friday, 8 horses permed, and only 1 placed, car crash stuff.

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6088

Joni..they’ll all come good by the end of the season and what was Jamie Spencer doing with Queen Kindly coming out of the stalls :unsure: , the ground she had to make up (and she did) puts her well in the picture for the 1000 Guineas, she was certainly denied a place on Friday. I only had one winner in 2 days at Newmarket and it wasn’t until Craven day that it all came together with Eminent winning, and one horse that stood out for the sprint season ahead was BRANDO. :heart:
    Jac

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3674

I’m working in India this week but keeping an eye on everything! A couple of bets today for a trainer bang in form.

£25ew Mooltazem – 7-2 – 1.50 Yarmouth lost
    £25ew Blue on Blue – 8-1 – Yarmouth 4.25 winner

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 436 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.