Jeremiah McGrath

Home Forums Horse Racing Jeremiah McGrath

This topic contains 9 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  apracing 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3068

Whilst all eyes were on Cheltenham, this young man rode his first winner for Nicky Henderson since he joined the yard.

That was on Dubai Crest in the 2M novice hurdle at Huntingdon and he gave the horse a confident ride and got him jumping well. OK, he was clearly on the best horse in the field, but he was always in the right place and didn’t panic when Graham Lee came upsides him on the second favourite leaving the home turn.

He looks good value for his 7lb claim and should get plenty of opportunities in his new yard. The fact he was given the ride yesterday and that the stable’s punters were happy to lump on (went from 3.0 to 2.3 on BF in the last five minutes) suggests he’s highly rated by them.

Don’t know much about his background, but I’ll be looking out for his rides in future.

AP

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1714

And I thought this thread was going to be about Jimbo’s views on Racing For Change!

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3068

Vg Venusian – the Timeform Prophet and author of the Ch4 Racing Book Of Lamentations.

That Jeremiah McGrath ?

AP

phil walker
    phil walker
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1348

Totally agree AP, I was very impressed with Jeremiah’s ride on Dubai Crest and noticed he’s been riding a few winners recently. Like you I know nothing about the jockey but he looks very promising.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3068

He rides Monetary Fund for Henderson in the Martin Pipe race this afternoon, and claims a useful 8lbs.

Interesting runner as Henderson has done well in the two previous runnings of this race and Monetary Fund has placed form over the course.

AP

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3068

Three winners this week, just a pity from a punting point of view that the latest was live on Ch4, as his name will now be more widely known.

He certainly got Line Freedom jumping better this afternoon than anybody else that has ridden her over hurdles.

AP

Roseblossom
    • Total Posts 355

Thought he gave Master Fiddle a lovely ride yesterday and I wasn’t in the least bit worried to see him legged up onto Line Freedom today. Promising lad.

Roseblossom
    • Total Posts 355

I see Henderson has another 10lb claimer appearing tomorrow – 19yo Jake Loader who I think was a junior showjumper and who rides Binocular at home. He’s got the leg-up on the Henderson-owned Tony DiNozzo in the Towcester bumper tomorrow. Might be another worth watching.

graysonscolumn
    graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7112

At this remove I suspect I might have been the first person to interview Jeremiah McGrath in this country, doing so after he’d guided Devils Arcade to victory for Bill Smith (as in the former jockey and pundit) at Hackwood Park’s Hursley Hambledon Point-to-Point last May.

The ride itself was very polished, but it was the almost maniacal enthusiasm with which he engaged this notebook-wielding pillock that was particularly striking – very, very keen I put in print that he’d not long been in the country but he was riding out for Brendan Powell at present and he already had the right license for Rules rides and he’d go anywhere for a decent job and I had to print all of that ‘cos he was desperate for a break and and and and and.

Even bowdlerised and sanitised somewhat, my employer hacked out all his quote, alas, as there were 15 other meetings competing for coverage space that weekend. I hope Jeremiah has forgiven me for that since.

Either way, there was no escaping the impression given from that initial meeting that the man has a drive and self-belief to ally to the talent; and I’d not be surprised to learn he talked as much as rode himself into establishing the links with the likes of Nicky Henderson and Alan Swinbank recently. I think we’re going to see and hear an awful lot more about him in the years to come.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3068

One other factor that will help him along is that he’s on the books of NH super agent Dave Roberts.

He has a couple of interesting rides at Cheltenham this afternoon, one for Charlie Mann (4:30) and one for his home stable (5:40).

AP

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.