Jack Joseph

Home Forums Horse Racing Jack Joseph

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  wit 11 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2085

Sad to record the passing of Jack Joseph.

He was a great supporter of the NH game, and a thorough sportsman.  

I first met Jack in the 1980s through working with his son-in-law.   By that time he had already been very successful in business, naming many of his horses after his companies (notably the Allied horses), some of which had themselves been named after his daughter Sarena.

A longtime supporter of Richard Frost and Philip Hobbs, he was by then also a permit-holder.    

In the latter capacity he showed himself no mean judge of a horse, particularly in taking flat horses of unrealised potential and getting them very fit for summer hurdle races.    

One particular example that comes to mind was Murhaf.    If memory serves, he was originally the property of a wealthy Middle Eastern owner at hundreds of thousands of pounds.   Disappointing as a three year-old, Jack got him at auction for single-figure thousands.  

One balmy May evening at Towcester he strolled home 15 lengths clear under Jack’s then usual jockey Ray Goldstein.     (Jack was not a bettor, but those of us who were found 33/1 on the boards.)

I also remember Jack for a quick sense of humour.  

Jack had a popular box at Kempton, and one Christmas Rod Simpson dropped by.  Rod had a runner in the last, My Dominion, but was non-committal to its chances.    

When it scored, the joshing cry went up "Where’s Rod?".      "He’s gone to his dominion" said Jack.

<br>A kinder or more courteous man I’ve yet to meet, and its not surprising to hear that the family has been inundated with calls from the racing community.

A much respected man who will be sorely missed.

<br>best regards

wit<br>

(Edited by wit at 3:17 pm on Dec. 24, 2006)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.