ITV Coverage – initial thoughts

Home Forums Horse Racing ITV Coverage – initial thoughts

This topic contains 876 replies, has 127 voices, and was last updated by GoldenMiller34 GoldenMiller34 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 826 through 840 (of 877 total)
  • Author
    Crepello1957
    Crepello1957
    Participant
    • Total Posts 708

I really agree about Chapman, I want to punch him hard every time I see his silly face!!!
    The red button idea is a really good one!!!

MarkTT
    MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2322

There’s no need for Chapman at all.

This extends to beyond the ITV racing coverage

patriot1
    patriot1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 346

No John Smith’s Cup on ITV on Saturday?!?

KevMcAlley
    KevMcAlley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

It is Patriot. Coverage is ITV until 2.30 then moves to ITV3 as I presume the 3rd/4th play-off is on ITV.

Nice bit of variation with Josephine Gordon on yesterday.

patriot1
    patriot1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 346

Whoops. I only looked at the main channel and ITV4. Not used to it being on ITV3. Cheers Kev.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19616

How many times has Mick Fitz raced around Goodwood.
    Yet we get him answering how not to get blocked in.
    Why not ask Murtagh…?

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    yeats
    yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2877

Luke Harvey’s small talk with jockeys at the start is pure embarrassing. Nico De Boinville was less than pleased (quite rightly) with him twice at Whitbread meeting calling him an “absolute idiot” after causing Daryll Jacob’s mount to interfere with his.

Both Harvey & Chamberlin tried to laugh it off but De Boinville was serious.

At the same meeting, Harvey was interviewing John Gosden after a race when Gosden pointed out there was loose horse careering towards them and to watch out. Harvey completely ignored him and just continued questioning him about the race.

Weaver did something similar when a horse was distressed at the end of a race, carried on questioning connections about the horse when they were trying to concentrate on his welfare.

I find all this intrusion from the likes of Harvey & Chapman unacceptable but they’re allowed to get away with it by the authorities, so it will continue.

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7293

So far the coverage at York has been dire and Matt Chapman’s with his OTT deep voice and rolling R’s are really grating on my nerves.
    Thank goodness I’m off to Newmarket tomorrow and Saturday and can record the coverage to fast forward to the horsey bits, which are few and far between. It seems every time they stop talking and switch to the horses going to post the adverts come on, and what was all that balcony Romeo and Juliet banter about at the start of the show?

The Fashion items are now getting more and more. We know that every big meeting seems to put on a Ladies Day now but why does ITV treat every one as if it were Royal Ascot. :unsure: and did I really hear one of the presenters say that the racehorse Laurens was the best looking woman he had ever seen, bet he gets it in the neck when he gets home… :whistle:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    KevMcAlley
    KevMcAlley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

Think it’s been the usual high quality myself, really enjoyed the Jockey ‘lessons’ with Fran Berry & Oli, John Dance feature was good and Jason Weaver is spot on as always. Did good getting both Doyle & Oisin up today to speak about the Juddmonte together and Johnston also when he broke the record.

Remember Trip, there’s RUK for the hardcore racing fans.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24526

tbh I agree with both of you, Jac and Kev. Very much enjoyed all the features you mention, Kev… And as ex-jockey presenters go – I quite like Weaver too.

Jac’s right about Matt Chapman, he’s way OTT for my liking (or suspect most people’s) and knows nothing about form. But presumably not there for true racing enthusiasts benefit. Romeo and Juliet was just rubbish, but may be they feel a need to make each programme different/supposedly interesting for their clients. Luke is trying too hard to be funny and forgetting it’s a Racing programme. Fashion interests some day time TV viewers so suppose they have to go there, but it’s the same old same old. Do wonder whether the Fashion sections puts off just as many racegoers as attracts. Feel like shouting at them, “you don’t have to wear a suit or an expensive dress to go Racing”! It’s not what you wear that matters, it’s what’s in the heart and mind that counts. :rose:

value is everything
    Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19616

and knows nothing about form.

He must know something about it..? :scratch:

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24526

Not that I can see, Nathan.
    One person on there that does is Hoiles and he rarely gets a look in.

value is everything
    Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19616

It’s not Chapman’s job to talk about form really though, he says what the odds are likewise Hoiles job is commentator. Personally I think Chapman could do the lead role and/or spout the form if needed.

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7293

I think that would be the moment that I splashed out on lifetime RUK membership Nathan..LOL
    My vote goes to putting him in the Social Stable and throwing away the key. :whistle:

Totally agree with Gingers last comment about what you wear to the races, I just know that so many will turn up at Newmarket tomorrow looking just like those ladies and gents interviewed today at York, yes even the guy in the floral trousers and no socks :wacko: and just because they think that is the norm for a day at the races when the truth is no hat or suit required just smart casual along with a love of horses and a determination to beat the bookie, that is the recipe for a great day out. :heart: Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7653

But a lot of women do actually want somewhere to go where they can wear that expensive outfit that they bought for someone’s wedding and would like a reason to wear it again. I’m really loving the ITV racing coverage, and even Chapman doesn’t irritate me as much now. What they do try to impress on people is that racing is actually fun and not deadly serious. The icing on the cake for me would be for Ollie and Lucy to fall madly in love and live happily ever after…

Viewing 15 posts - 826 through 840 (of 877 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.