ITV Coverage – initial thoughts

Home Forums Horse Racing ITV Coverage – initial thoughts

This topic contains 696 replies, has 117 voices, and was last updated by  runandskip84 2 days, 18 hours ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 691 through 697 (of 697 total)
  • Author

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2815

What have these 4 “things” got in common?

Darryll Holland
    The Tote
    Racecourse Commentating
    Dancing On Ice

Pity ITV racing & ATR don’t follow suit.

Does Chapman add or detract from horse racing and it’s coverage? For me it’s a definite detract.

Not seen his performance on Dancing on Ice but read some of the tweets such as “cringeworthy”. That’s exactly how I would describe his harassment of people in the paddock prior to races or his fawning over jockeys or trainers he favours such as Adam Kirby last night.

And interviewing jockeys prior to weighing in should be a definite no no. Poor old Nicola Currie was stood there with 2 stone of lead last night.

GoldenMiller34
    GoldenMiller34
    Participant
    • Total Posts 616

He ends up interviewing Nicola Currie when he had hoped for a beyond the grave exclusive with John Curry 🙂

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1503

What have these 4 “things” got in common?

Darryll Holland
    The Tote
    Racecourse Commentating
    Dancing On Ice

Pity ITV racing & ATR don’t follow suit.

Does Chapman add or detract from horse racing and it’s coverage? For me it’s a definite detract.

Not seen his performance on Dancing on Ice but read some of the tweets such as “cringeworthy”. That’s exactly how I would describe his harassment of people in the paddock prior to races or his fawning over jockeys or trainers he favours such as Adam Kirby last night.

And interviewing jockeys prior to weighing in should be a definite no no. Poor old Nicola Currie was stood there with 2 stone of lead last night.

Yeats you are a dinosaur on here Chapman is well liked by viewers and lots of people love him if you don’t like him tune to the snobs on racing uk and don’t watch atr or itv racing.

GoldenMiller34
    GoldenMiller34
    Participant
    • Total Posts 616

Yeats isn’t a dinosaur. Like me and many I expect he prefers the coverage on RUK. In general, the RUK presenters and analysts are highly professional, intelligent, informative, humorous when appropriate and I find their broadcasts have a rich quality. They are not snobbish and I say that as a Tory-hating Millwall fan! It is extremely rare that I have to endure a snippet of ITV/ATR coverage to catch a big Jumps race. But even then Chapman is unavoidable.

If that sort of style is what you prefer, Steve, good for you. Happy viewing. My concern is over whether the Chapman personality (like McCririck before him) is the correct image for racing to project to mainstream, casual viewers. Is it going to win over the young or is it, in fact, reinforcing a stereotypical impression of racing – shouty, loutish, lads only – that may alienate and lose potential viewers? My fear is that Chapman puts people off and that is bad for racing as a whole going forward. (Facing a ratings slump Dancing On Ice wasted no time in axing him).

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1503

Yeats isn’t a dinosaur. Like me and many I expect he prefers the coverage on RUK. In general, the RUK presenters and analysts are highly professional, intelligent, informative, humorous when appropriate and I find their broadcasts have a rich quality. They are not snobbish and I say that as a Tory-hating Millwall fan! It is extremely rare that I have to endure a snippet of ITV/ATR coverage to catch a big Jumps race. But even then Chapman is unavoidable.

If that sort of style is what you prefer, Steve, good for you. Happy viewing. My concern is over whether the Chapman personality (like McCririck before him) is the correct image for racing to project to mainstream, casual viewers. Is it going to win over the young or is it, in fact, reinforcing a stereotypical impression of racing – shouty, loutish, lads only – that may alienate and lose potential viewers? My fear is that Chapman puts people off and that is bad for racing as a whole going forward. (Facing a ratings slump Dancing On Ice wasted no time in axing him).

Peter Naughton none of those the worse presenter ever on a racing channel
    Stuart Machin dull as ditchwater
    Nick Luck – dull and humourless snob

Many more could be mentioned.

Maybe refrain from saying Chapman was sacked when it is quoted in most media that he quit.

Chapman does bring viewers in as ratings for itv racing show, itv rescued racing from deaths door and Chapman and the team have brought new audiences to a sport that was dying on Channel 4 through their use of dullards like Nick Luck. Your fears have been proved wrong with the ratings.

chestnut
    Participant
    • Total Posts 232

Racing may have been dying on Channel 4 and the viewing figures have improved since moving to ITV, but whether these have anything to do with the presenters on either channel is very debatable.

Are the improved viewing figures not just a case of the further you move up the channel list the better the viewing figures are? Has the moving of The Great British Bake Off not proved this. Although it maybe Channel 4s, according to the viewing figures, best ever show. It does not get anywhere near to the viewers it got on BBC1.

7.7 million for the 2017 final compared to 15.9 for 2016 final on BBC1.

• This reply was modified 2 days, 19 hours ago by  chestnut.

runandskip84
    Participant
    • Total Posts 34

Not sure about the viewing figures,2million went missing on Grand National Day and the Opening Show and ITV4 are down so the overall total for 2017 may well be less but the Racing Post have been strangely silent on the subject so who knows?
    As for Matt Chapman he clearly was hired by ITV racing to appeal to all the knuckle draggers but obviously even they cant put up with him so maybe he will rethink his style with trophy presentions etc

Viewing 7 posts - 691 through 697 (of 697 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.