"Is Willie Mullins really so stupid"?

Home Forums Horse Racing "Is Willie Mullins really so stupid"?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by befair befair 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    The Ante-Post King
    The Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8792

We all know Mullins by now,he has single handedly ruined Ante-Post betting at Cheltenham but for all the stupid decisions he’s made and somehow got away with,quoting his favourite ‘Hullabaloo’ covers all nonsense, yesterdays post race analysis of Yorkhill really does sum the guy up.We all know this strapping chestnut is a proper horse,we can see visually that he travels like a dream and is more than capable of getting from one side of a fence to another.Yesterdays Racing Post quoted him as the ‘Gold cup’ horse out to impress us further.Ruby has publicly stated he’s a Gold cup horse but we all know to take what he says with a pinch of salt too.’Yorkhill’ has a history of jumping sharply left,I cant think of another horse who’s jumping is so exaggeratedly biased as his.Obviously the best way to help that is to run him left handed and ‘Yorkhills’ record going that way is faultless,2 wins at Cheltenham in Grade 1’s prove that.You can understand Mullins running him at Punchestowns festival last season but hindsight showed then that going right handed only emphasises how left handed he jumps,that race blotted his copybook when finishing 4th.What isn’t a problem with ‘Yorkhill’ is how he jumps,he has always looked a chaser in the making and he progresses with every outing,he is a horse who doesn’t look like falling even when he gets it wrong,his size helps there mind.So we come to yesterdays performance and the only issue that can be directed at contributing to his incredible defeat is again the markedly jumping out to the left,it was so bad that he very nearly went through the rails at the last and handed certain victory to ‘Road to Respect’.Anyone with an ounce of ability at assessing horseracing could see ‘Yorkhill’ staying on like a 3m chaser at the end and had he ran on a left handed course he would have won on the bridle..This horse has Gold Cup written all over him and thats stating the obvious.His career formwise suggests its time to step up to 3m a trip he won a PTP over and as an 8yo he’s the perfect age for a Gold cup…Mullins like only Mullins could do suggests it could be time to put this beast of a horse back over hurdles and drop him down to 2m for the Champion hurdle..Why would you do that Willie?..Simple really,he wont but it leaves the Ante-Post punter with a dilemma of targets as usual and Mullins almost has some sort of mental issue with the thought of Punters reaping reward for his efforts so he actually goes out of his way to throw as many smoke screens out as he can each season.Mullins really is one stupid fool and that can be confirmed with what happened to him and the Gigginstown horses he lost.

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 893

Rubbish. Your of the opinion that he won’t return to hurdles so just back him with that in mind. At least he is raising the possibility of it happenening a number of months in advance so punters can’t argue they haven’t been warned of a possibility of a return to hurldles. If your so confident that he won return to hurdles then back him for all of the big chases on left handed tracks. Yesterdays performance and willies comments would only make the price that bit more juicy which I thought you’d be delighted about

Purwell
    Purwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 587

What bugs me is I had put a lay in for Yorkhill yesterday at 1.56 and it wasn’t matched!

The Ante-Post King
    The Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8792

Rubbish. Your of the opinion that he won’t return to hurdles so just back him with that in mind. At least he is raising the possibility of it happenening a number of months in advance so punters can’t argue they haven’t been warned of a possibility of a return to hurldles.

So all those punters that have taken him at his word yesterday have backed Yorkhill for next years Champion hurdle…Bet 365 have cut him from 16/1 to 10/1 since,not for peanuts either.Willie being Willie of course will happily let us do so.I am of the opinion he will run in the Gold Cup myself but even then I’m well aware that a last minute change of mind for the Ryanair is a huge possibility.What Mullins failed to remind himself of yesterday before blurting out Champion hurdle is that ‘Yorkhill’ actually belongs to someone who wants to win the Gold cup and if Graham Wylie has to remind him of that he will…Of course in the meantime punters will be put away as per usual by Mullins and his stupid comments.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19314

Did you tick the box that keeps the bet alive when they go ‘in-play’ Purwell….?
    I’m sure it would have been matched otherwise.

Yorkhill demonstrated yesterday what a massive engine he’s got. He was even somewhat unlucky to lose in the end as he was back in-front just after the line. Little Willie has little options for the Cheltenham Gold Cup unless he thinks it’s going to be 107th time lucky for Djackadam….. :wacko:

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5293

If they didn’t have a strong hand at 2 miles he’d surely be their QM horse. That’s the race in which his quirks are most likely to be minimised – he’ll settle better and, with luck, Ruby could hold him up until after the last.

“If only they could talk” applies nicely here. I wonder why he goes so badly left when running right-handed? It seems highly unlikely he is favouring an injury and his jumping mechanics and technique are sound so there’s no reason for him to be trying to put himself right. It’s a double jeopardy risk for connections and supporters in that he gets out of control when jumping making it close to impossible to get him back on the bridle when racing. He’s then burning energy at the front and cannot be prevented from idling after the last. A massive talent, but one to leave well alone as a Gold Cup prospect.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

The Ante-Post King
    The Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8792

If they didn’t have a strong hand at 2 miles he’d surely be their QM horse. That’s the race in which his quirks are most likely to be minimised – he’ll settle better and, with luck, Ruby could hold him up until after the last.
    A massive talent, but one to leave well alone as a Gold Cup prospect.

I think dropping Yorkhill back to 2m would be a disaster Joe,the only time he’s ever ran on good ground over the minimum trip he got beat,Punchestown I know but this horse isn’t a sprinter he’s a stayer with a cruising speed.Imagine him hurtling towards the first at Champion hurdle/Chase pace and lurching left..Ruby would be thrown like a bullet,at least over further his Jockey has more control over this horrible habit.Both his Cheltenham wins have been in the longer Novice hurdle/Chase events not the ‘Supreme/Arkle’ approach that in itself tells you he’s not the speedy sort Mullins is kidding us all on with.

Ex RubyLight
    Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1031

Mullins really is one stupid fool and that can be confirmed with what happened to him and the Gigginstown horses he lost.

A few years ago I thought you were 100% wrong with that kind of statement. When you look back and think about the number of runners he had in the Festival Bumper: not too many, but the 2 or 3 selected ones were always the ones to beat. Nowadays he has like 6-8 runners and no one knows which one will win. He sent Blackstairmountain – a horse with more quirks than you could ever think of – all the way to Japan and won in very impressive style, thanks to one the greatest NH jockey of all time. That was a very shrewd move and he got it 100% right.
    But somehow things have changed over the past 5-6 years. He still can’t win a Gold Cup or a Champion Chase considering the quality of horses he has. Hurricane Fly was sent over to France for no apparent reason, contesting a three mile race over the French baby fences in which he had zero chance of winning and no one with a bit of brain would have done that to his stable stalwart after such a long season. He also had no clue in which Festival race to run Vautour back in 2016, so it was Ruby who persuaded connections to go for the RyanAir. He still is a genius, but the comments made yesterday indicated that he might be a bit clueless at times.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Ex RubyLight Ex RubyLight.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4584

I don’t really understand all the fuss about Yorkhill. I would be very surprised if the current Champion Hurdle winner couldn’t dispose of him, Altior couldn’t dispose of him and Sizing John couldn’t dispose of him, all with a degree of comfort. At the moment I view him as the most overrated horse on the planet. Nothing went particularly amiss in JLT and he was far from impressive in beating an ordinary field. Yesterday, he would have beaten an upgraded handicapper by around four lengths. I backed the winner yesterday and I am not so sure he even reproduced his Cheltenham win. It is all very well saying what would have happened had he jumped straight but he doesn’t jump straight. He jumped straight at the Festival and only scrambled home by a length.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1212

I don’t think that Mullins is really so stupid, and I think that his previous record clearly demonstrates that. Equally I don’t think that he cares less what punters think either, and then again why should he. His owners pay his bills and therefore he should train with their wishes in mind.
    With regard to ante post betting, or any other for that matter, we all know what can go wrong so perhaps best to let the buyer beware.

CharlesOlney
    CharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1966

I’d be surprised to see Yorkhill run over hurdles again especially considering Willie’s won 4 Champion Hurdles and not one Gold Cup. In that interview you could see he was annoyed and saying these things in the heat of the moment. Once he’s had a chat with the owner I’m sure all roads lead to the Gold Cup.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19314
    Voleur
    Voleur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 658

How do you know he wouldn’t make a great Champion Hurdler? His breeding suggests he is a staying chaser in the making, but apart from that, nothing points to him being a poor 2m hurdler. Mullins said fences bring out the worst in him, which they do, and that is why he is considering reverting him back. You mention Punchestown as evidence against this course of action, but he had a long, hard season by then and of course the whole right-handed thing. Neptune winners do markedly well in the Champion, and his Neptune was quite a strong one. You say he wont have the speed for a champion, but based on what? How can you possibly know this? One man who does know if he has the speed is.. Willie Mullins. He rarely gets it terribly wrong, and even more rarely with his best horses.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Voleur Voleur.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1045

Don’t remember him going lefthanded when he won the Tolworth Hurdle at Sandown, personally I don’t think he does sod all when he hits the front but in order to be a Gold Cup horse he will need to settle much better than he does currently, if they can’t get him to then the Ryanair will be his race as it is about as far as he will stay.

The fact is had he half not tried to refuse/run out at the last he would have still won despite his waywardness – at one stage Ruby had him pretty much as far left at his fences as he could get but I think connections will just have to run him at left handed tracks from now on (Leopardstown, Haydock, Newbury, Cheltenham, Aintree) who knows it might mean we see more of him over in the UK.

Mullins and ante post are like oil and water, they simply don’t mix and you should simply not bother backing his horses for championship events until the day of the races – I am surprised people are still complaining about this as he hasn’t changed his m.o. in this regard for many years. Fool me once etc

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  LD73.

obiwankenobi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 305

He certainly does not sound stupid when I’ve chatted to him, Anti Post.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.