Is Horse Racing Betting for Mugs?

Home Forums Horse Racing Is Horse Racing Betting for Mugs?

This topic contains 146 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by wallace-no7 wallace-no7 8 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    wallace-no7
    wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1565

Harry Findlay said once "i have lost more on horses than i have won". If this man with all his contact’s and horses in the game still can win then what hope is it for the rest of us.

I long been of the opinion that Horse Racing betting is so vile that i surprised anyone makes any money. Their is so many variable’s to it is it even worth puting your hard earned cash on the 4 legged muckers.

Variable
    Jockey
    Trainer
    Draw/Fences
    Pace
    Health
    Mental strength

Then you have the drifters…the pullers and the horses that aren’t even fit. Horseracing is full of pullers/non-triers/un fit horses/Schooling etc etc. I couldn’t find a bigger bunch of people in any profession that are soo secret about their job. If i was on my death bed and i asked SMS or AOB the time they wouldn’t tell me. Even worse we have a handicap system that promotes cheating….cheating cheating cheating!!!!!!!!. We have massive gambles we have massive drifters we have corrupt jockeys we have it all. I surprised the Mainstream media don’t pick up on all the chancer’s in Horse Racing considering their pilloring Higgins in the Snooker and Pakistan in the Cricket. Or maybe its the fact that the mainstream have given up on Horse Racing, an old boys club full of chancer’s and lier’s. Tweed wearing wankers that rule the countryside like its their own little habitat, full of billionaire’s that like to spend der day looking at a horses’s arse chasing stags around fields and their pack of hounds like something out of Cool Cullen. The BHA even want us to lose our money!!!! :roll:

All the cozy media friendly realsionship’s we have in the game, the constant contracdictive nature of the sport where Aidan O Brien can school because John Magnier best friend Denis Brosan is the Chief guy at the turf club and men like charles byrne gets a massive ban on his horse (pittoni) and for ever is being charged with being a bit of a "Irish Rogue". The double standards in this game is quite astonishing.

But Paul Nicholls, a man that didn’t come from a family with a golden goose. Worked his way and ruffled plenty of feather.s The old school english brigade like Hobbs and Henderson(Gent i might add) have been fighting for the scraps off the table from this man. The most dangerous man in racing Pipe was forced to retire and hand over a string of 2nd rate horses to his son. Nicholls should be applauded as a Messiah to a sport full of untrustworthy men. He is open about everything…his latest betfair thingy on all his horses is exceptional media savvy. We know what he has done and we can judge for ourselves. Thats all i want from my Punt…some idea how he will run and how the trainer see’s the race. I can accept defeat fine if he is tailed off and i know he hasn’t been working great. The works in America really give the punter some sort of edge in their mind if anything. I disagreed very strongly with PN and his handling of Sam Thomas but this man has done more for cleaning some of the mystery about the game than anyone else.

In conclusion to my rant!!!!!!!!!!!! and its a big rant. I not sure what i am trying to say………i actually don’t like the constant betting adverts on Horse Racing…betting betting betting. Betting seems to have taken over our sport and nobody wins only the bookmakers. Is Horse Racing dying and Bookmakers profiting. The fact that racing has got soo tricky these days to win is it driving away fans and punters. I not sure if i am making sense to myself…

Horse Racing is Corrupt/ Its impossible to win money on it/ Bookmakers are profiting and Horse Racing is suffering. :mrgreen:

wallace-no7
    wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1565

I take your point Frank….

The weekend stuff is exciting but is it fair…that the midweek punter has to put up with cheating just because its aw dross.

Another thing…how do timeform/atr/ruk presenters get the will to go in and watch such garbage and then try and not to say anything nasty when their is cheating everywhere.

Matt Chapman for all his faults is superb in giving just critique of a race. His tirade against a irish apprentice was fully justified as he stopped a horse yet Chapman gets a massive ban from atr for rocking the boat

joe donaghy
    • Total Posts 38

Hahaha thanks for makin my sore head laugh, quality rant and a pity it might not last long with my personal fav the tweed comment and yes its a hard game to make any money but if it wasnt then everyone would be doin it and there wouldnt be a game

robnorth
    robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4124

Wallace

That sounds depressingly like a loser’s tale to me.

Horse race betting isn’t ‘for mugs’ but it’s full of mugs. Therein lies the chance for those of us prepared to put in a bit of graft into the game a chance to make a profit. I came back from an excellent day’s racing at Kelso yesterday having once more picked up little titbits from observation that will serve me for the future. Treat the game as figures and names on a page if you will, but it’s much more than that.

If you really have such a depressing outlook then please do us a favour and occupy your time with something else.

Rob ‘the cup is at least half full if not more’ North

wallace-no7
    wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1565

If it doesnt last it be because the gangsters on the right hand side of the screen(as i type) have their advertising for their craic cocaine for today’s middle class

Pompete
    Pompete
    • Total Posts 2513

Try Golf…..

wallace-no7
    wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1565

Depressing outlook….the game is dying on its feet.

We can easily go down the route of the greyhounds…where once a very entertaining sport is not dying and being propped up by bookmaking giants having their fishy hands everywhere. God knows the corruption in Dogs???

The British Levy is so bad that they be running for free Dinner’s on course and Irish Racing can attract a crowd bigger than my local nightclub for quality cards

wallace-no7
    wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1565

Pompete…..10 handicap 8)

robnorth
    robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4124

mmm, and I’ll bet you spend your time moaning at the greenkeeper about the pin positions….

joe donaghy
    • Total Posts 38

Stick a tenner on morrison to score the next goal in the match on itv, he was international class once upon a time

wallace-no7
    wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1565

Yes…when he puts them on slopes. Specifically a pin placement on top of a hill is my favorite.

How many people have broke evens on Horse Racing in their life? :wink: . I wonder who is paying Patrick Kennedy Ceo of Paddy Power 7 Million a year :mrgreen:

"It’s a minimum of £500 with transport, entries, jockey fees etc to run. If the prize money is £1,600 less deductions then what’s the point for so many? If you see some of the successful owners of more moderate horses it is abundantly clear that they not only back em but lay them brutally when they don’t think they have a great chance. What would you do bet on that or a Barcelona or Man Utd match?"

Barca :wink:

wallace-no7
    wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1565

And Punters are leaving Racing….all you have to look is the levy. People are now much more interested in betting on Human Being that 4 legged animals.

Soccer Betting is huge now…Biggest growing market as the bookmakers keep telling us.

leither
    • Total Posts 117

Racing is a great sport to watch and to bet in if you follow a few simple rules the most important being never ever put on more than you can afford to lose so have a bet and enjoy it.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2847

Over on BF in the antepost section we’ve just finished up a Flat season tipping thread where at least 6 or 7 posters managed to turn a profit, one of them over 300 pts at advised prices. I fully expect the same over the jumps season, so it can be done!

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24494

Wallace,

Take some responsibility.
    Isn’t it more to do with backing the wrong horses than any skulduggery that goes on?

The reason why some punters can make money on horses, is precisely because there are so many mugs around.

What form books do you buy? How much time do you spend studying? What do you take in to account when betting?

Your rant sounds like a classist mug punter.

I know some of those tweed wearing w…, indeed I wear a tweed cap myself. :lol: Have you ever talked to them? Horse racing is an excellant sport. When going racing I mix with all classes. They are by and large nice people. I’ve also worked for all sorts of classes. And sometimes I’d much rather work for Lords and Ladies who appreciate a good job; than those who’ve got rich on the backs of others and want to squeeze the last pound out of you.
    Don’t judge a person by their accent (like my ‘Ampshire Wilwsher) or jacket, hope rich people realise just because I dress like this, doesn’t mean I’m a communist.

value is everything
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 147 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.