Irish Oaks

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Irish Oaks

This topic contains 16 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Gingertipster Gingertipster 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 21595

Easy peasy for Enable but she was 10 lbs clear coming into today. The rest of the field were rubbish. The Ribblesdale Coronet won was one of the worst I can recall.

There was only one Group 1 filly in the race today and she showed that all too well. The Arc would be an awful lot tougher than the static bunch she faced today.

Coronet is actually the 2017 St Leger winner Steve

We will see about that. I don’t rate the Leger anyway. It’s a race for slow horses.

Coronet is rated 108 and that is nowhere near top class. She won a very weak looking Ribblesdale, one of the poorest Group 2 races I have watched. Coronet simply lacks tactical speed and is always going to be outpaced before trying to stay on.

Enable has won the Irish Oaks by almost the same margin as she won the Epsom Oaks. She was 2/5 and probably had a stone in hand in reality against these opponents. It’s hardly surprising that she blew them away. She would have had to have run well below form not to have won easily.

I agree with you Stevie, Enable didn’t need to improve on the Epsom Oaks form to be an impressive winner of the Irish version. However, surely could have progressed had she needed to? Best three year old middle-distance horse in Europe and (judged from her races and physique – big bitch) more improvement to come.

Doubt Coronet will be good enough for a St Leger, may prove a little flattered by the Ribblesdale victory (at least when racing at 12f). imo Had positional advantage, coming from rear in a strongly run, stamina sapping affair. That said, Coronet’s race record and breeding suggests she could improve over further… Also wasn’t as strongly run on Saturday and Coronet had a hard race at Ascot – valid excuses for those Coronet St Leger backers.

Ribblesdale may well have been below standard of the race’s average renewal, wouldn’t say it’s “very weak” though:

Hertford Dancer was beaten a total of 1 1/4 lengths by Coronet
    Rich Legacy beaten a total of 2 3/4.
    Hertford Dancer only beaten 3 1/4 behind Lancashire Oaks winner Black Princess
    Rich Legacy a total of 3 1/2.

So if taking Hertford Dancer as running to form, Group 2 Ribblesdale was only 2 lengths inferior to the Group 2 Lancashire Oaks.
    If taking Rich Legacy as running to form, Group 2 Ribbledale only 3/4 length inferior to the Group 2 Lancashire Oaks.
    Hertford Dancer had a particularly hard race at Ascot, I suspect it’s nearer the latter.
    Or do you think both improved at Haydock, Steve?

value is everything
    Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 21595

Have to agree Charles. She is looking like a star. Hopefully they give her break now and wind her up for an autumn campaign

Another easy race in the Yorkshire Oaks, then Arc.

value is everything
Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.