Imaginary Gold Cup

Home Forums Horse Racing Imaginary Gold Cup

This topic contains 14 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by BigG BigG 3 days, 12 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

michael80
    Participant
    • Total Posts 42

IF all the great horses including Arkle, Desert Orchid Best Mate Kauto Star and Denman all ran in the Gold Cupat there peak of there careers all carrying under 11 stones 10 pounds Now who would win and by how many lengths? totally fictional but it would be good if someone could use a computer game or something to describe who would win :mail:

kingbenitch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6

Arkle…..convincingly, Best Mate 2nd and Desert Orchid last.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 15668

What’s the going……….?

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n

Viltash
    Viltash
    Participant
    • Total Posts 195

They wouldn’t see which way Mr Mulligan went.

Ex RubyLight
    Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 573

Which fences would they jump? The ones from the 60s? Then Arkle might just be the only horse to finish.

Himself
    Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3759

Arkle by a minimum of ten lengths , regardless of ground conditions.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1710

As Arkle was about a stone and a half better than anything else then the computer would have him winning nearly 100% of the time. It would be like that War Games film with the Noughts & Crosses game ;-)

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3

Flyingbolt.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 15668

What odds for Norton’s Coin….?

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5741

Racing Ghost Race Report:-

Lord Windermere:-

Fell:- Already under pressure and tailed off when falling at the FIRST fence :whistle:

Goreisking pushes his luck just once too often with the FAV pish in his local bookies.

kingbenitch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6

<p abp=”264″>Flyingbolt.

Would be hard to disagree, he and Arkle were probably on the same mark.

GoldenMiller34
    GoldenMiller34
    Participant
    • Total Posts 310

<p abp=”264″>Flyingbolt.

Would be hard to disagree, he and Arkle were probably on the same mark.

So we are to believe that 2 horses who came along at the same time for the same stable are about a stone ahead of anything else that’s ever run! It’s not credible. The standard of chasing in the mid-60’s was poor and the ratings as a whole, as they do from time to time, became inflated.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20740

Hard to say, It was closer than some think between Arkle and Flyingbolt. True they were lengths ahead of their contemporaries. However, with training methods and feed of the 60’s against training methods and feed of 2010’s or even 1980’s… May be the Dreaper pair would not finish in front. I’d be confident of Desert Orchid winning had we been talking about the King George, he’d find more when challenged by supposedly better horses… Had Chelters been right-handed it would’ve been Dessie. Kauto really good in March but even better over Christmas. Denman beat a below par Kauto. If only Dawn Run had lived longer – progressive when meeting her untimely end – and with today’s allowance could’ve gone close… But then again, Mares Hurdle meant would never have seen a fence. Captain Christy didn’t jump well enough, what about Burrough Hill Lad? Or were they before Martin Pipe’s methods changed racing? Carvill’s Hill didn’t even win the Gold Cup; they say might have done so had Jenny not scuppered the front-runner’s chance with “team tactics”. Heavy ground and Master Oats has a chance. Best Mate loved Cheltenham and dominated his era – a poor era – flattered.

But because things didn’t really go for other horses at Cheltenham – even with swinging grub it’s still Arkle.

value is everything

kingbenitch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6

Many punters wanted what would have been a match between Arkle and Flyingbolt but it was never going to be. It was well-known at the time that Dreaper didn’t want the two to meet. As to differnces between then and now, I don’t think it would have made the blindest bit of difference other than some of the modern day top chasers would have found most courses more daunting and so would the jockeys. Who would I have backed out of the two, had the lowest price for either had been evens, I’d have backed them both.

BigG
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2516

What odds for Norton’s Coin….?

Hey, I hope your not taking the P out of my fav Gold Cup
    winner of all time Nathan (well financially speaking). I was
    hoarse for a week after that :yahoo:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.