Idiot on Racing UK

Home Forums Horse Racing Idiot on Racing UK

This topic contains 30 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by MarkTT MarkTT 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 902

Talking about Sandy Thomson’s horse in the 12:55 in wethrby and this idiot woman in the commentary says “yes she does quite well with the small number of horses she has”. Where do they get these experts

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24494

Talking about Sandy Thomson’s horse in the 12:55 in wethrby and this idiot woman in the commentary says “yes she does quite well with the small number of horses she has”. Where do they get these experts

tbh I thought he was a “she” until very recently saw an interview. Does that make me an idiot? there’s no “Mr” against his name so unless you saw the trainer you wouldn’t know.
    Gender of the trainer doesn’t make any difference to a form expert, can’t be expected to know every trainer by sight, it’s to the expert’s credit knowing Sandy does particularly well with the quality of horse he recieves. 33% SR in the last two weeks, 23% last 6 months.

Doesn’t make the woman expert an “idiot”.

Bloke I met at the races once told me “this Andrea is the best lady jockey around”.

value is everything

nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1496

well lets hope the expert dont think kerry lee is a bloke and sam twiston davis is a bird

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 902

Difference between punters and fans not knowing,to an expert not knowing. She is getting paid to talk about it. It’s her job. She is employed as an ‘expert’, and any national hunt expert would know sandy Thomson from his training of Seeyouatmidnight and therefore know that he is a he. You mightn’t have known but are you paid to know? She is an employed expert and is paid to know. Unless of course she is employed to meet some idea of gender balance?

steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5325

Yep, I’d say one of the prerequisites of performing under the term ‘expert’ is that you can tell a man from a woman.

Seriously, it’s basic journalism 101 to check the gender on names that cover both.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24494

Difference between punters and fans not knowing,to an expert not knowing. She is getting paid to talk about it. It’s her job. She is employed as an ‘expert’, and any national hunt expert would know sandy Thomson from his training of Seeyouatmidnight and therefore know that he is a he. You mightn’t have known but are you paid to know? She is an employed expert and is paid to know. Unless of course she is employed to meet some idea of gender balance?

I am in a four man team that take part in a racing quiz every year, against racing journalists, trainers, jockeys and other racing professionals. Each man in our team has different expertise which compliment each other. eg I wouldn’t have a clue about years things happened, Lester can reel them off easily. We compliment each other to form a team; it’s the same with an RUK team.

She’s employed as a form expert not a presenter/journalist. Presenters/journalists should know these things, a form expert has excuses and it’s not such ig deal. Amount of form study these people do, they haven’t got time to go through names of every trainer making sure they get gender right every time.

A woman makes one little mistake and suddenly you’re asking if “she is employed to meet some idea of gender balance“? :negative:

value is everything
    Zamorston
    Zamorston
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1120

We’ve all done it haven’t we?

Remember in my early years…thinking I was clever telling an old bloke at the side of me Alex Greaves was one of the top jockeys at one particular track and ‘he’ rode it well…didn’t embarrass me though so fair play to him!

I also admit I thought Enda Bolger was a woman and called Edna…for a good 20 years! When I had realised I’d mistaken his name and sex I was telling my racing mate who I work with and has been a fan 5-10 years longer than me and he thought Edna was a woman until I told him otherwise!

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Zamorston Zamorston.
    Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24494

You’re not the only one who’s made that mistake Zammer. 😆

value is everything

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1072

Are there any trainers that are trannies?

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24494

Are there any trainers that are trannies?

If there are isn’t it only their business?

value is everything
    Ben_Bernanke
    Ben_Bernanke
    Participant
    • Total Posts 641

I also admit I thought Enda Bolger was a woman and called Edna

To this day I thought the trainers name was Edna too and that he was a woman…..at least now I know haha :good:

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1072

I only trying to help

Might explain the confusion some have

yeats
    yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2872

To be fair, what percentage of racing enthusiasts would not know Sandy Thomson was a man? It is just poor journalism/punditry, especially when they are supposed to be the “expert” and getting paid for their “expertise”.

Unfortunately it is quite commonplace in the broadcasting of horse racing. Contributions are littered with errors, the sex of jockeys etc and lets not get started on the sex of horses, surely that shouldn’t be happening in fillies races at least. Doubt one pundit gets 50% of the sex of horses right. It is just lazy work.

It’s cringeworthy when you see a presenter interviewing a winning trainer like at Wolves last night and persisting with the wrong sex of the horse, the trainer did eventually get through to him in the end.

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1984

That Ruby Walsh is a good female jockey as well.

Space Cowboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 192

When I looked at Theater MIll recently I did a double take at the trainers name RICHENDA Ford.

I thought flipping heck didn’t know He had gone Tranny.

I had to do a bit of looking up. LOL

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.