Grand Crus . . .

Home Forums Horse Racing Grand Crus . . .

This topic contains 26 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Professortrubshawe Professortrubshawe 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Professortrubshawe
    Professortrubshawe
    • Total Posts 521

. . . already owed punters a lot of money. Now it’s a bit more!

The poor fella is turning into one of those horses by the looks. Travelled like a fighter plane but . . . And this game being the way it is, when all patience is used up, he’ll have it off at 16/1.

Compliments of the season to one and all!

robnorth
    robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4124

Although he won the Feltham Chase here last season,

Grands Crus

still has to prove himself in top company over fences. On the face of it, given his disappointing run last time, then a third to a previous King George and Gold Cup winner is a pretty decent effort. He never quite got in a blow at the front but kept on well enough, perhaps just anchored a bit by very testing conditions.

It’s worth bearing in mind that this was only his sixth effort over fences, whereas the first two are into double figures. slightly harsh to cast aspersions against a horse who had won 7 out of his last 13 runs. Long run was a comparative youngster when he first won this race, but it was his ninth steeplechase.

I do wonder who he would be having it off of at 16/1. Can’t imagine connections would use the King George to hide him, and nor can I imagine Grands Crus on the phone to Laddy’s himself either!

Rob

befair
    befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 948

There is no mystery here; he as simply over-hyped and over-rated after his early novice runs. 3rd place in a poor King George is as good as he is.

betlarge
    betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2655

He’s actually run really well considering the ground conditions and the fact that he’s come back quickly from a wind op.

Anyway, even if you had blindly backed him on every race throughout his career you’d be 5pts up from 17pts staked (29% profit).

Not quite sure how that equates to ‘owing punters’. But maybe it means ‘owes’ one punter in particular!

Mike

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19593

Yes Prof and had Grand Crus of won I’m sure you would have said something very similar about Long Run…….. :roll:

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    Professortrubshawe
    Professortrubshawe
    • Total Posts 521

Although he won the Feltham Chase here last season,

Grands Crus

still has to prove himself in top company over fences. On the face of it, given his disappointing run last time, then a third to a previous King George and Gold Cup winner is a pretty decent effort. He never quite got in a blow at the front but kept on well enough, perhaps just anchored a bit by very testing conditions.

It’s worth bearing in mind that this was only his sixth effort over fences, whereas the first two are into double figures. slightly harsh to cast aspersions against a horse who had won 7 out of his last 13 runs. Long run was a comparative youngster when he first won this race, but it was his ninth steeplechase.

I do wonder who he would be having it off of at 16/1. Can’t imagine connections would use the King George to hide him, and nor can I imagine Grands Crus on the phone to Laddy’s himself either!

Rob

I was not suggesting anything dodgy about Grand Crus tactics. What I meant was that one day, for various explicable reasons, he will pi s s up and all the people who have lost on him won’t be on. It is a feature of racing as old as the hills, and you know it.

Professortrubshawe
    Professortrubshawe
    • Total Posts 521

He’s actually run really well considering the ground conditions and the fact that he’s come back quickly from a wind op.

Anyway, even if you had blindly backed him on every race throughout his career you’d be 5pts up from 17pts staked (29% profit).

Not quite sure how that equates to ‘owing punters’. But maybe it means ‘owes’ one punter in particular!

Mike

Yes, I did say he travelled well.

Professortrubshawe
    Professortrubshawe
    • Total Posts 521

Mike

I’ve never backed him before boxing day. I had a fiver at 10s just because of the Law of Sod (a force more powerful than any form book).
    Grand Crus was a typical talking horse. What a binge the bookies must have had on Paddy Power day:

Held up in rear, steady headway 12th, chased leaders 3 out, ridden and weakening when pulled up approaching next opened 2/1 £9000-£4000 £4500-£2000(x3) £3600-£1600(x2) £1125-£500 £900-£400 £844-£375 £675-£300 £10000-£5000 £8000-£4000 £6000-£3000 £3000-£1500 £2000-£1000 £3750-£2000 £1000-£500 £525-£300

It was so predictable I laughed. Should have laid it but I hate all that betfair bollox.

robnorth
    robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4124

It was so predictable I laughed. Should have laid it but I hate all that betfair bollox.

Clearly, but just a pity you didn’t give us the benefit of your superior knowledge in advance :roll: .

For one who seems to have the predictable world at his feet you seem rather slow to take advantage!

Rob

tbracing
    tbracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1328

Wouldn’t write him off just yet, conditions haven’t been to his favour just yet and he is still inexperienced, his win in the Feltham against subsequent 2nd season graded chase winners tells you it is there, he’ll whiz round The Bowl in April if it’s dry

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19593

I take it Prof from your non reply to my message that I was right.

Yes Prof and had Grand Crus of won I’m sure you would have said something very similar about Long Run…….. :roll:

You can only have 1 winner from each and every race so plenty of losing horses/connections to moan about hey Prof.

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24494

I had a fiver at 10s just because of the Law of Sod (a force more powerful than any form book).

It was so predictable I laughed.

So you backed Grand Crus because the "Law Of Sod" says he should win…

Yet it was oh so "predictable" he wouldn’t. :wink:

Brilliant logic Prof. :lol:

value is everything
    Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24494

If anyone cares to look at the Feltham Chase Grands Crus won… He cruised through the race and looked like winning by a significant margin, but didn’t find a great deal for the whip. Only winning by just over 2 lengths.

He also didn’t find a great deal when second to Big Buck’s in the Stayers hurdle.

So even before his "problems" Grands Crus never found a great deal off the bridle. Why should we expect any more now?

Agree with Betlarge, considering hasn’t had much time since the breathing op Grands Crus ran well on Boxing Day.

Ryanair looks too open, won’t stay in the Gold Cup, probably not up to troubling Sprinter Sacre in the Champion. Although there’s something of the One Man about Grands Crus. Like to see him tried at 2 miles. However, if he’s to win any race at the Festival, for me it will be the Stayers Hurdle. Doesn’t look much around at the moment if capable of the same form as in 2011. Could win it without needing to come under pressure.

value is everything
    cormack15
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9977

He’s not an impressive horse physically and I could see him being put back over hurdles at some point.

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 604

He’s got a big race in him, but I’m not sure what it’ll be.

2013 King George winner (so long as The Megabeast doesn’t use that to step up to three miles), anyone?

FLD

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.