Godolphin

Home Forums Horse Racing Godolphin

This topic contains 15 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Salselon 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Salselon
    • Total Posts 934

The boys in blue seem to have got their act together. After a very strong September, their Strike rate in the early part of October, this week especially is incredible. 4 wins today, with Jalil to come in the next at Lingfield. It’s also been quite sometime since they had a 2 year old G1 winner.

The horse of theirs that really interests me is Ibn Khaldun, who runs in the Autumn Stakes at Ascot tomorrow. I think this is a colt of some potential, and won his last race with ridiculous ease. Whilst he will have to continue improving to reach the greats to which his breeding entitles him, he seems to possess the necessary attributes.

I would have liked to see him in the Dewhurst, but am nevertheless very much looking forward to tomorrow. Yahrab may be a danger but the Royal Lodge looks very suspect for now, with such a bunched finish.

Salselon
    • Total Posts 934

Also, Plavius, the $9.2 million Plavius colt is down to run next Tuesday.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3548

Is it my imagination or do they quite often pick up this late in the season?

And if so, I wonder why that is the case? Perhaps there are simply more of the right type of races around, but the otehr question (in relation to their current form) is why have they been so sluggish for so long?

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2847

On Jalil, hard to see how winning a class 5 Ripon maiden entitles him to get only 4lbs from a horse who’s won and placed in 2 strong Class 2 handicaps: assessed on yearling price more than form, methinks, but might win anyway! (doubt it though)

Salselon
    • Total Posts 934

Yes, and it seems this year it’s mainly a good batch of 2 year olds coming to the racecourse for the first time that are being seen out. This at least augurs well for next season. Just wonder since they seem to have a few promising types, would any be risked in the deep end of the Dewhurst or Racing Post Trophy?

There is still a paucity of top class 3 year olds and older horses. I’m not sure i agree with running some of their better horses of this variety in class 2/3 conditions events, when many would be better off appearing in G3 events or such. I think a horse such as Fairmile today, would be positioned more positively by Ballydoyle and most likely be found a G3 somewhere.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2847

Ran a terrific race, wide trip, ran a bit green, nailed on the line- very promising. Entitled to be for that money I suppose!

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4724

On Jalil, hard to see how winning a class 5 Ripon maiden entitles him to get only 4lbs from a horse who’s won and placed in 2 strong Class 2 handicaps: assessed on yearling price more than form, methinks, but might win anyway! (doubt it though)

Have to disagree that Jalil was in anyway harshly handicapped today. Ignoring todays result, but looking at the Newbury maiden he finished second in, the gave a 13 lb beating to Galianna who was given a BHA mark of 80 and last ran off 76 whilst the fourth who got a 9 lb beating has been twice beaten in handicaps off 84. In such circumstances 87 today looked more than fair.

Librettist
    • Total Posts 576

The horse of theirs that really interests me is Ibn Khaldun, who runs in the Autumn Stakes at Ascot tomorrow. I think this is a colt of some potential, and won his last race with ridiculous ease. Whilst he will have to continue improving to reach the greats to which his breeding entitles him, he seems to possess the necessary attributes.

I would have liked to see him in the Dewhurst, but am nevertheless very much looking forward to tomorrow. Yahrab may be a danger but the Royal Lodge looks very suspect for now, with such a bunched finish.

I’m a bit worried about the smallish field tomorrow as Ibn Khaldun pulled hard at Leicester when there was no gallop.

Can anyone tell me why Plavius fetched $9.2m when his full brother [Dijeerr] only fetched $500,000?

Plavius must’ve been showing something to have been put in the Champagne, Royal Lodge, Dewhurst and Racing Post Trophy [not to mention The Derby.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1836

Impossible to be confident after just one race, but I thought Calming Influence was outstanding today and could well be a top class colt in the making.

People are already talking about how weak the race was, but I am of the opinion that this was a very above average performance, and the way he was backed, and talked about prior to the race suggests he is out of the top drawer.

nitro
    • Total Posts 100

The boys in blue seem to have got their act together. After a very strong September, their Strike rate in the early part of October, this week especially is incredible. 4 wins today, with Jalil to come in the next at Lingfield. It’s also been quite sometime since they had a 2 year old G1 winner.

Yes, but why don’t my Seven Stars horses never run or win? :wink:

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 564

According to Teletext tonight, Rio De La Plata is apparently going for the Dewhurst providing we get decent ground.

As for Calming Influence, I was at York and likewise was very impressed. Frankie got interviewed afterwards by Graham Orange and said that he didn’t give him much of a feel however…

Sal
    • Total Posts 602

Can anyone tell me why Plavius fetched $9.2m when his full brother [Dijeerr] only fetched $500,000?

Probably something to do with looks, but also to do with improvements in the pedigree. In the intervening year, the dam had gone from dam of 2 winners to dam of 4 – the half brother had won a couple of black-type races and Dijeerr himself had won his maiden and shown promise that would win him the Horris Hill. In addition, Plavius is from the final crop of Danzig, so was in special demand.

Peter Poston's Ghost
    Peter Poston’s Ghost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 541

Confirmed for the 510 at Leicester today.
    I believe Roger Charlton’s horse Prime Exhibit is decent so Plavius will have to be on his game to make a winning debut.

lekha85
    lekha85
    Participant
    • Total Posts 360

Is it my imagination or do they quite often pick up this late in the season?

And if so, I wonder why that is the case? Perhaps there are simply more of the right type of races around, but the otehr question (in relation to their current form) is why have they been so sluggish for so long?

I believe Godolphin start working their horses a bit later than most other yards after the winter break and also many of their horses and staff will have been in Dubai for much of the winter, meaning they start prepping for the UK summer season later than most.

Gigginstown Man
    Gigginstown Man
    • Total Posts 87

Cockiest shower of c***s in racing by a mile. If they had the amunition Ballydoyle have and the Genius Jockey-Trainer combo they would be impossible to look at and listen to.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.