Glorious Goodwood 2016

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Glorious Goodwood 2016

This topic contains 21 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Venture to Cognac Venture to Cognac 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    BigG
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4463

I know this forum is for “Big Races”, but thought perhaps I could squeeze
    in a thread for general comments and fancies for the non Group Races, at
    the meeting.

3.45 Goodwood (26/7)
    Since his win in a decent handicap at Wolverhampton back in March, I thought
    that GANG WARFARE was potentially better than a handicapper,
    or at least a horse capable of wining the top handicap races. Things haven’t
    gone to plan since then, although his effort in carrying top weight in the
    Chester Cup was better than his 9th position would perhaps suggest. He didn’t
    get the clearest of runs in the final furlong, and although 9th he was little
    more than 3L behind the winner.

Last time out in the Northumberland Plate at Newcastle, again having the burden
    of carrying top weight, he was disappointing finishing 12th and never really
    looking likely to get into the mix. It’s just my opinion, but I’ve seen some
    poor runnings by horses who should have fared better at Newcastle and I wonder
    if the new surface is not to the liking of all.

There can be no excuses today at Goodwood, he’s won on G/F and he’s not quite
    top weight. 20/1 I think is a really big price for him, and if there were genuine
    excuses for his last couple of races, then he is well in here and should have a great
    chance. I’ve had a decent bet on him.

I need to head out now, I’m still on holiday and won’t see the races this afternoon, so
    I hope I can enjoy watching the rerun later today. I also hope HAGGLE
    can do me a favour in the last (5.30 today). If he has trained on from 2 to 3, he has the
    form to take this. I’ve taken the 10/1, that’s gone now but still plenty of 9s about.

Good luck all :good:

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24125

4:55 Goodwood.
    Harry Angel looks the good thing of the day in the maiden which doesn’t look that competitive.
    Beaten a nose on Ascot debut.
    Parys Mountain best of the rest, often worth dismissing a poor Royal Ascot run by 2 year olds. 6/1 “betting without”.

value is everything
    Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 13465

Love this meeting Graham, and after what was, sadly, a very “flat” Royal Ascot this year, hoping for some great racing this week. These meetings are what the flats all about for me.

Good luck today Graham, though on recent evidence you won’t need it. Although I’ve had some great results at this meeting, I’ve never had what I would call, a “fantastic” Goodwood, so hoping to reverse that trend this week.

Trying to stick with just a Mug 63 today, and the odd exacta, but currently considering Second Wave, Boom The Groom, and Quebee on their own. Got the big prices on Boom The Groom for my 63, but not convinced I want to be backing him as low as 5’s.

Won’t be fortunes down, with Galway also on the scene, but win or lose, a great days racing in store.

BigG
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4463

Well done Bobby with BOOM THE GROOM, I know you weren’t keen on taking the 5s, but
    I hope you took the 13/2 he went off at. SECOND WAVE ran a good race too, he was a
    decent place at 8/1.

I was really disappointed with GANG WARFARE, he doesn’t appear to be the horse I
    thought he was. There were no excuses for him, he was held up but never looked like
    getting serious. Short of a medical problem materialising, I’ll be leaving him
    alone. I was happy enough with Haggle, if I’m being picky perhaps Atzeni might have
    been better leaving him tucked in on the outside rather than crossing him over behind
    the field to the rail and then hoping for spaces to appear. Having said that, Oisen
    Murphy ran a peach of a race and deserved his win. He covered my day, but no more than
    that.

I picked out FIRE FIGHTING in the 1st, and had him in my Goodwood competition, but
    as Sod’s Law would have it, I didn’t have a bean on him :wacko:
    Oh well, there’s always tomorrow. :good:

botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2308

Been waiting for Shogun to race on fast ground. Highly tried on unsuitable ground all year except when he was a fast finishing second to Moonlight Magic in the Derrinstown. Behind him that day was Idaho and Beacon rock who have since franked the form.

I think there may be a bit of belief from connections that given his ideal conditions some good races can be had with him.

Took 7-1 & 13/2 yesterday afternoon.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 13465

Thanks Graham, very happy with Boom The Groom, and got 6’s before the race, so the 13-2 was a bonus, and a little surprised with the 8’s on Second Wave as well, but not complaining.

A quiet day today at Goodwood for me, but I’ll definitely be with Oceane, The Lacemaker, and The Warrior, though at this time, god knows whether they’ll be on their own, in a Mug 63, or in Exactas………..or all 3 lol

Hard luck with Fire Fighting, but that’s the problems with the competitions, you end up picking a horse for the competition that you haven’t have bet, only to watch it win, and of course, vice versa………it happens to me a lot haha.

Good luck with your picks today Graham, and best of luck Botchy with Shogun :good:

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 13465

I’ve decided to also go with Seaside Sizzler in the first, and Al Khan in the last. Both fair ew prices, especially with 5 places available.

botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2308

Took the 12’s yesterday on Lathom in the 5.30

It’s ran a couple of eyecatching runs lately to say the least.

Hopefully a bit of 10’s will appear this morning and will add to my first bet, as with luck in running i think this is a good thing today.

Good luck all 😉

thejudge1
    thejudge1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2255

Expecting Blue Point to win today, even if Ryan Moore is very sweet on Intelligence cross.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24125

One of my local trainers is in cracking form at the moment and has two great chances today in Pamona and Amabilis (and an outsider with a chance Kinema).

value is everything
    Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 13465

In the 1655, I like Devilish Guest & Tap Tap Boom, while in the last, I’ll definitely be with A Momentofmadness & Sign Of The Kodiac.

GL today guys :good:

BigG
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4463

3.10 Goodwood (Friday) Franklin D is the obvious choice I suppose, but his price very
    much reflects that and I’m not keen on taking 9/4 in a 20 runner no holds barred scrum
    of a race. The horse which springs out to me is OUTLAW COUNTRY. I thought
    he looked a real prospect in his 2 year old days, having won his maiden well and was then
    (imo) an unlucky 2nd in the Tattersalls Millions 2YO Trophy. The big risk with him is that
    he has had his problems and been out for the best part of 2 years. If he has retained his
    ability, and has done enough to get him anywhere near race fit, then he has a very decent
    chance in this at 33/1 5 places with Bet365.

I also think that KACHY is over priced at 20/1 in the King George Stakes.
    His good win at Chester in May was bettered with his good 2nd to QUIET Reflection in the
    Commonwealth Cup last month. Quiet Reflection then finished 2L behind Limato in the July Cup.
    This would be too short for Limato, but I think that’s top form and Kachy will manage the 5f,
    which will be run at breakneck pace, and the fact Kachy can manage further will be a plus here.

If things don’t go well, I hope that SIXTIES GROOVE at 8/1 in the last gets me
    out of trouble. He’s been hammered 12lbs for his win at Epsom last time out, but he won with so
    much in hand, by 7L, that he could still be well in.

Good luck too all :good:

botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2308

Small e/w bet @ 50,s on Alamode in the 4.55

Course winner last year and best performances have been on a faster surface which she has not encountered for a while

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4454

Any views on 2.00 here on saturday i think GAMESOME 14/1 been running well at 5f and form got got franked when 2nd at York a return to 6f and race run at a mad pace suit him very well.

raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3357

I have backed MUKAYNIS 20/1 Darren.

Have a look at the Epsom Dash form a lot of good runs and wins out of the race and this finished fourth having been slightly hampered about two out. If it can hold its position early I think it will reel them in late on!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.