French Horse Racing 2017

Home Forums Horse Racing French Horse Racing 2017

This topic contains 89 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by aaronizneez aaronizneez 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6270

Is there anyone interested in following the French Horse Racing this season. I am thinking of focusing mainly on the 3yo division and the 2yo’s when the better races come along later in the season. There’s not going to be any point in putting the work into it if there is insufficient interest though.

The Prix La Camargo took place recently and it is a race most notable for now as the one La Cressonniere made her debut in last season. That filly went on to win the French Guineas and Oaks before injury robbed her of a chance to land the Golden Treble in the Arc. She is still in training and prominent in early Arc betting.

This season Jean-Claude Rouget was due to have the Siyouni filly Kestila running in the Saint Cloud race and she was early favourite for it but a non-runner on the day. In her absence the Richard Fahey filly Melesina landed the race but she’s a well raced and fairly exposed sort so I am doubting we have another Guineas filly with her.

Kestila was one I mentioned in last years 2yo thread and the Aga Khan owned filly took a similar path to La Cressonniere last season, winning 3/3 but not tackling the top races yet. Interesting that she was taking the same starting point as her stablemate last season. I am not sure yet why she didn’t run but the ground was given as soft.

The next few weeks should see some of the more promising ones reemerging for the trials and I have a few that I am looking forward to seeing again. As always the bookies are bloody useless at pricing up the French Classics ante-post. I am sure that cost me plenty last year, as my picks were more exposed by the time odds were available.

Anyway, if nobody is interested in the French Racing there won’t be any point, so it depends if the demand is there. It can be time consuming work.

In the notebook Kestila (Jean-Claude Rouget) :-)

What's all the fuss about Estimate on the Racing Legends Stamps?

There's always been a second rate Mare on them anyway ;)

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 16181

Bonjour steve,
    je suis intéressé par les meilleures races.
    Je pense que vous avez mis en place la vidéo où Qemah attiré mon attention.
    Je pense qu’elle peut progresser à nouveau.

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3257

Definitely interested. You unearthed some good ones last year.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

TheGun
    TheGun
    Participant
    • Total Posts 82

I have very little knowledge of French racing but would be keen to learn (and earn) more.

hein bollow
    hein bollow
    Participant
    • Total Posts 104

Hi Steve,
    I would be definetely interested in French racing and I would appreciate if you keep up your analysis.
    I know a little about the French market, because German trainers often do excursions to France due to higher prize money and I would like to learn more..

follyhoog
    follyhoog
    Participant
    • Total Posts 176

How do you Watch the racing Atr show only the Stakes races RUK when theirs a quite day/?

how did Lady Frankel look winning on sunday?

:good:

Kentucky Spring
    Kentucky Spring
    Participant
    • Total Posts 262

I’d very much like you to continue Steve, you do good raceanalisys and I like other peoples views on races.

Best Wishes
    Silk

Slowly Away
    Participant
    • Total Posts 379

I used to follow the top French races mainly through Nick Mordin’s weekly round up on his website but he stopped doing it a few years ago ……………and I lost interest

I still try and catch the group one races on RUK or ATR but often have no idea of the French trained horses

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6270

How do you Watch the racing Atr show only the Stakes races RUK when theirs a quite day/?

how did Lady Frankel look winning on sunday?

:good:

Hi, sometimes you can catch the races on ATR and if they are group races they will almost certainly be shown. There are streaming sites out there, normally a bit hooky and a bit unreliable.

I try to post videos here when I can find a reliable source for the replays. For watching live I registered on Ze Turf. It’s primarily there to encourage you to bet on the race but I have never deposited any funds there and can still watch races live and access the replays. It’s in French but you can usually get the gist of it.

Lady Frankel’s race video was/is over on the Frankel Rule The World thread.

I will do my best to keep up to speed with posting interesting races and any betting news I can find but sometimes it is tricky translating from French using these web translators. I was trying to attain some news about Jean-Claude-Rouget’s Le Havre filly La Cochere, who looked good in winning her first race last season, the runner up Senga went on to run well in the Boussac later. The translator on google provided this response:-

Jean-Claude Rouget saw his “plane” La Cochère win brilliantly the Prix des Marettes but nevertheless it does not decolère. On the track, the daughter of Le Havre blew the screen. In part, she made a rare line to open her charts ahead of Senga who “fully satisfied” her coach Pascal Bary.

All I need now is someone to translate the above from English into, well, English you can understand.

The gist of the article seemed to be that Rouget was complaining there were unsuitable targets for the fillies between the race La Cochere won and the Boussac, he feels there should be a better fitting race for the 2yo fillies. Anyway I felt La Cochere looked really smart last season and can’t wait to see her again.

“A rare line to open her charts”? Sounds intriguing.

Sunspangled
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

Today’s Racing Post has an interview with Jean-Claude Rouget, duscussing his 2017 flat team

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6270

Today’s Racing Post has an interview with Jean-Claude Rouget, duscussing his 2017 flat team

He had an exceptional season last year. That will be very hard to follow but there are a few of his that I noted on their debut last year.

There was talk that Rouget benefited from other trainers having problems keeping their strings healthy and that he may have been lucky to some extent with the Fabre and De-Royer Dupre stables having a modest time of it. To be fair to Rouget, he did announce very early in the season that this was by far the best bunch of 3yos that he had ever had and that he had about a dozen that he expected to be capable of winning Group races. Another trainer from France quickly defended Rouget by declaring that the problem the big name Paris trainers had was not viruses but instead “Slow Horses” :whistle:

A trainer I am keeping an eye on this season is Francis-Henri Graffard. He used to work for Alain De-Royer Dupre but is just starting to make a name for himself and I am hoping some value can be found with some of his runners this season.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 16181

From Racing Post

La Cochere

“We’ll look for an easy comeback in April Somewhere, I don’t know where yet and a lot will depend on how she is going in the mornings”

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    aaronizneez
    aaronizneez
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1551

Hello Steve

Please keep the info coming. I will be at Deauville in May for the Guineas weekend so any heads up on potential candidates will be good. I have used Ze Turf and they did some great offers for not only for new customers but for regulars as well. I haven’t used since I went to Auteuil last year but will be doing so when we go in may. Withdrawing money (which is a strange experience for me!) was relatively easy once you get some ID to them and on occasion they do bet on UK and Irish racing as well. I even got a slight fascination with trotting :scratch:

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6270

Thanks for the info Nathan and thanks for the replies.

I’ll give the trotting a miss I think :yes:

I am going to have a trawl through for updates on some of the ones who caught my eye last season and those who have appeared early doors this year.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6270

Here is a colt who impressed me last week. The trainer Henri Pantall has made a good start to the season and this son of Dubawi out of an Oasis Dream mare deeply impressed me on his debut over 6 and a half furlongs at Chantilly.

Muttrah Fort is the colts name and he is a strapping specimen. Quickly away he was a little green on the lead but then settled travelling very well. Under minimum encouragement he simply quickened away from them for a very taking win, staying on well all the way and although he is a quick actioned colt with speed, he may get further than sprint trips.

The second horse here is probably capable of better, she gave her jockey a hard time and wouldn’t settle but she came through well for second. If she settles better she looks a sure fire winner for the future. Unpretentious is trained by Andre Fabre and an Invincible Spirit filly, who looked headstrong this day.

This is the video:-

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/race-replays/2/2538/

Muttrah Fort was awarded 86 by the Racing Post but it’s impossible to say really as they were all unraced coming in. This did look deeply impressive though and one for my notebook anyway. Interesting to see where he goes next.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.