Epsom derby 2018

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Epsom derby 2018

This topic contains 73 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Triptych Triptych 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • Author

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4023

THE PENTAGON 20/1

Lost by a long way on debut.But more than made up with 2nd showing where he tore them apart he looks more a middle distance horse than a miler hope 1m next race for him i like to see go Racingpost trophy or race that Australia won at 2,

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 711

Really liked how he dismantled that field the other day, i think that race will work out quite well

bozlike
    bozlike
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1596

You ask and they will come eh Daz. You took your time 😉

I had 2 unraced horses in mind for this. One that I’d been majorly leaning towards, the other that I had less affiliation towards but remained there as an option none the less. It was almost like listening to a not properly tuned in radio, where you could here the beauty of Champagne Supernova disrupted by white noise crackling away in the background. On this occasion the white noise turned out to be Nelson, a horse who has as much going for it in his breeding as he doesn’t. Is a Frankel half brother to US Army Ranger and son of Moonstone regally bred or isn’t he? It throws up as many questions as answers to me, which is why I haven’t backed him. I almost felt a slight pinch of vindication albeit for all the wrong reasons when I spotted him entered up over 6 furlongs on Thursday. Surely he won’t be quick enough to take up that engagement?

I can’t deny The Pentagon gave off a strong impression when winning second time out on Saturday. I’m not sure how strong the field was having the average at best looking Bond Street made favourite, but you can only beat what’s there and he beat them in bloodless fashion. I’d imagine the Leopardstown Breeders Cup Qualifier will do for him before a winter off Daz. He looks one to keep onside.

I’m playing ‘Ballydoyle Guess Who’ here though which is as entertaining as ever. I’ve long predicted my Derby horse runs in the 1 mile maiden event a week on Thursday at Leopardstown. He wins on the bit at cramped odds on before Aidan can say ‘listen’. Journalists and the lot are thrusting microphones at Aidan’s mouth as Epsom is buzzed and thrown around……

We can but dream eh? :yahoo:

Boz
    @TomBoardman87

Sunspangled
    Participant
    • Total Posts 451

Looking forward to seeing Amedeo Modigliani running again, he made a very good debut by the stable’s standards this year. There’s bound to be a Camelot colt in the reckoning for the Derby. Christopher Robin is highly regarded, but no sign of him making his debut as yet. Hunting Horn may be out soon.

bozlike
    bozlike
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1596

Looking forward to seeing Amedeo Modigliani running again, he made a very good debut by the stable’s standards this year. There’s bound to be a Camelot colt in the reckoning for the Derby. Christopher Robin is highly regarded, but no sign of him making his debut as yet. Hunting Horn may be out soon.

He is by this judge Sunspangled, watch this space 😉

Boz
    @TomBoardman87

bozlike
    bozlike
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1596

Thursday July 27th, keep the date highlighted folks. It’s the date Christopher Robin follows in his sires hoofprints by winning the same maiden en route to Epsom glory :good:

Boz
    @TomBoardman87

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7047

I don’t think The Pentagon will stay the trip.

He runs like a miler to my eyes. I’ve done him for the Guineas at 33/1 though.

What's all the fuss about Estimate on the Racing Legends Stamps?

There's always been a second rate Mare on them anyway 😉

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4023

Steve this Pentagon got a middle distance breeding while i agree he look fast other day thing with him maybe he harness that speed next year be able to stay 1m4.

CHRISTOPHER ROBIN 1st horse i thought of for race before THE Pentagon so he one to look out for to.Any other unraced horses not trained by AOB you guys like

bozlike
    bozlike
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1596

Well Dazza Ballydoyle are always my first port call in these races. Their record alone speaks for itself but entries and who races in which right races can also be very revealing. That’s why since I phoned Bet365 to get Christopher priced up for Epsom I’ve been waiting for July 27th. It’s not so much make or break as it is a big reveal as to where my boy’s seen in the pecking order. Ryan Moore was jocked up for Gustav Klimt for both of his maidens in Ireland, something in itself which is another big reveal. If my lad takes his place a week on Thursday with Ryan flying over to do the steering then win or lose we’re onto a winner.

Aidan O’Brien is a similar powerhouse on the flat as to Willie Mullins with National Hunt. The only difference being Aidan isn’t quite the poker player Willie is, his ‘shows’ are often there to see.

Boz
    @TomBoardman87

BigG
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3337

I don’t normally do the Derby this far off, but having a look at the likeliest
    suspects I’m interested in one that bozlike has already mulled over. NELSON
    has a mix of speed and distance in his breeding. Frankel’s progeny maybe haven’t set
    the heather alight in the manner that some hoped for, but there’s time yet. To add
    some balance to his speed, Moonstone was a winner of the Irish Oaks, and she ran over
    15 1/2 furlongs in the Prix Royal-Oak at Longchamp, some 4 1/2 L behind Yeats. O’Brien
    has so many that could be anything, and this one falls into that category too. He hasn’t
    run yet, and I’m in agreement with bozlike, I’m not sure he’ll run at Leopardstown on
    Thursday. Trying to work out which O’Brien “monster” will come to the fore next June is
    like trying to work out which ones of Willie Mullins appear in what races at the Festival,
    but on the off chance that he turns out to be as good as his breeding suggests he could be,
    I’ll chance a bit at the 33/1 that’s on offer for the sake of a flutter.

bozlike
    bozlike
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1596

Christopher Robin gets his entry next Thursday alongside a few other likely types from Ballydoyle. Whichever runs will be very informative me thinks.

Boz
    @TomBoardman87

bozlike
    bozlike
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1596

Unfortunately no sign of my Christopher Robin in tomorrows final field but Nelson lines up in what is historically a strong maiden. A good performance should see ripples in the Derby market.

Boz
    @TomBoardman87

Voleur
    Voleur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 455

The racing at Leopardstown tomorrow could prove very informative for all things Classical. The attentions of this thread have thus far been focused on which of the Ballydoyle pack would emerge as Derby prospect Number 1, and understandably so. However it is not a son of Coolmore that tickles my fancy at this early stage, but rather a grandson once-removed. We must avert our gaze from Coolmore in Co. Tipperary and focus it rather on Coolcullen in Co. Kilkenny, where Jim Bolger has an exciting young colt that goes by the name Theobald.

For the last and only time Jim Bolger won the Epsom Derby, one must go back to 2008 and New Approach. Theobald has a very similar profile to New Approach, nearly identical I would say. New Approach himself is a son of Galileo out of the daughter of a sprinter, whilst Theobald is by a son of Galileo (Teofilo) out of the daughter of a sprinter (and a much better sprinter than New Approach’s damsire). New Approach won his debut, as did Theobald, before going on to win the Tyros Stakes. Theobald runs in the Tyros Stakes tomorrow.

Perhaps not as visually spectacular as the Pentagon’s win the other week, but Theobald’s debut win impressed me a lot. There is not doubt in my mind that he will get further than a mile in future. He raced quite keenly in the early stages, right up at the pace. Coming around the home turn he was one of the first off the bridle, but he kicked on well under pressure, running strongly to the line. He looked a Derby horse all over on that occasion.

Therefore I was dumbfounded when I saw he was entered in the Anglesey Stakes over 6f. It worried me that Bolger felt the need to experiment with him over 6f, perhaps he did not see him as an out-and-out Derby horse. But I think the horse expelled that notion during the race itself. This time he was definitely the first one off the bridle and despite being done for toe by the quicker Actress, he stayed on dourly to the line beating the promising Brother Bear (who admittedly probably beat himself). I’m not sure what Bolger hoped to get out the race, maybe like me he only wanted confirmation that this colt would be most effective over extended distances.

He is entered in all the right races, following predecessor New Approach in the Tyros, Futurity and National Stakes. I’m sure if he performs well in those he’ll be straight across the pond for the Dewhurst.

The Derby – Theobald 40/1. (If anybody would hop onto the machine and lay me 60.0 I’d be very grateful).

The Pentagon looked a class act wining his maiden, but if I hope to beat him in the Derby then I’d want to be beating him tomorrow.

Tyros Stakes – Theobald 7/2.

Of the Ballydoyle contingent it is purely a guessing game but I’m going to agree with BigG and take the 33/1 on Nelson, for much the same reasons as him. I’m also going to back him in his maiden tomorrow. A lot of Frankels seem to win first time out, and while I’m sure the reason most of Aidan’s don’t is less to do with their sires and more to do with his training methods, I’m hoping this guy is an exception. Neither the fav or 2nd fav look anything special to boot.

6.25 Leopardstown – Nelson 7/2.

Sunspangled
    Participant
    • Total Posts 451

Ryan is on Coat of Arms in the maiden. He has already had two runs, but as a full brother to Seventh Heaven who took three attempts to break her maiden, he may be a slow burner.

botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1593

That’s the Derby winner boys Delanor Rooservelt

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.