Effect Of Non Runners In Handicaps

Home Forums Horse Racing Effect Of Non Runners In Handicaps

This topic contains 5 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  sporting sam 11 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

sporting sam
    • Total Posts 210

Obviously carrying less weight than other horses can be advantageous, but can Jockeys and Horses gain a significant advantage when there are non runners above them in the weights?   <br>I noted in the lays and plays yesterday that the Horse immeadiately above my each way selection(3rd @20/1) in the weights was a non runner.<br>The Non Runner was also coincidently drawn alongside my Horse Mahmja as well as being next to it in the weights. This would certainly have given Mahmja more room to operate in.<br>Does several non runners split the handicap and create false handicaps, isolating horses?<br>Mahmjra is probably a poor example as it had run well on its previous visit to Southwell and I expected a good showing.<br>I`ve seen Horses take advantage of being isolated in the handicap several times in both codes.<br>If anyone knows what I mean tell me what you think.

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1044

Sporting – You’ve lost me on this one and I don’t understand what you mean. There were no non runners in Mahmjra’s race yesterday ( I wish my selection had been one though! ). If a horse is declared a non runner in a race then the odds are amended for all the other runners accordingly.    

sporting sam
    • Total Posts 210

Swallow, I`m getting all confused(really confused) with the last race, when there were two non runners.<br>I feel a bit silly now.:o <br>But the question remains the same. Can horses and jocks take advantage when there are non runners in the weight above them.<br>Do non runners split the handicap, causing false handicaps and is there an angle to take here?

Thanks for pointing out my deliberate mistake.<br>Yes the odds are adjusted but the weights stay the same, right?<br>Silly Me!!

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2313

But if the weights stay the same it makes no difference surely?!

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2115

It makes no difference in terms of relative weights.

It also usually makes little or no difference in the way you refer to in terms of the draw, as unless a horse is withdrawn very late in proceedings all the runners outside it are simply shuffled inwards or outwards according to whether the stalls are on the inside or the outside.

For instance, in a 16-runner race if the horses drawn 15, 14, 13, 12 and 11 are withdrawn the horse drawn in stall 16 is not isolated but would start from the stall next to the horse drawn in 10.

sporting sam
    • Total Posts 210

Grateful thanks for replying to my query Prufrock, Aragorn and SwallowCottage much appreciated and some food for thought for me.<br>

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.