Doncaster Cup

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Doncaster Cup

This topic contains 19 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Venture to Cognac Venture to Cognac 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    joliff
    joliff
    Participant
    • Total Posts 234

I love a good Cup race and on the forecast soft going I’m willing to have a punt on the old boy High Jinx here, having run well in the race in the past. Indeed fellow geriatrics Thomas Hobson, Sheikhzayedroad, Clever Cookie and Pallasator also run so feels like an episode of Last of the Summer Wine a tad! Surely young pup Desert Skyline can’t spoil the party?

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 450

Desert skyline for me, been following this horse for a while now and hes always crying out for further, surely this will be far enough!

All over him at 5s for this almost as big a bet as mythical magic for me on sat :yahoo:

LostSoldier3
    LostSoldier3
    Participant
    • Total Posts 962

Just looking at this race now.

I don’t rate Montaly’s form at all – that Lonsdale form feels fruity with Sheikhzayedroad running flat all season, Dartmouth flopping at the weekend and St Michel’s form being undermined again and again.

Desert Skyline has obvious appeal as the 3yo who keeps shaping better than his results. Step-up in trip to suit and still has the option of more aggressive tactics. He does seem like a difficult horse to win with, though. Still, will back him as my 2nd choice.

I’m willing to give Thomas Hobson another go. It shouldn’t be understated how amazing his Ascot Stakes win was – with the sectionals proving that Moore actually gave the horse far too much to do rather than the ‘genius ride’ being claimed by the TV hacks straight afterwards. He did too much too soon under a Crowley brainfader in the Lonsdale and might even strip fitter since that was his first run in 2 months.

Moore replacing Crowley must be good news too. :good:

• This reply was modified 5 days, 21 hours ago by LostSoldier3 LostSoldier3.
    Middle_Of_March
    Middle_Of_March
    Participant
    • Total Posts 768

Had a small play on my old pal Thomas Hobson at 5s

Degaussed
    Participant
    • Total Posts 64

Couldn’t figure this race out, so left it alone. Desert Skyline would have been my pick, but I’m not sure if he actually wants to go past a horse or not. He’s done me well this year as an each-way option the last two runs, wouldn’t mind seeing him win.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 21594

Agree with a lot of what LS says.
    Desert Skyline has the generous 3 year old allowance, steps up in trip and the further he’s been the better he looks. So scope for further improvement.
    I was against Thomas Hobson at York, for what he’d done was very short there. In the event had no chance after racing out wide with no cover. Ascot Stakes win lives long in memory and Moore is back in the saddle. If able to relax him out the back can do a lot better than when beaten by Montaly. Latter came from well off the pace that day and imo flattered in beating a below par Dartmouth and the horse who doesn’t want to lead – St Michel. Still cursing that one!
    Then come the golden oldies… Going back 12 months Sheikhzayadroad‘s form would make him favourite here, but doesn’t seem the same horse these days. Clever Cookie may have his ground, but doesn’t seem quite the force of old either. Ditto Pallasator, Rosie Jessop takes over and am also concerned the horse will take charge going to post. Doesn’t look a girl’s ride to me, but who am I to tell Sir Mark?
    She Is No Lady is no forlorn hope; acts on the ground and best run was over the greatest test of stamina she’s faced – in the Gold Cup. This 2m2f with give in the ground should be an equal test provided they go a pace…
    And that’s the potential problem for my two bets. Both Dsert Skyline and Thomas Hobson are normally held up and unless Fun Mac or Sheikhzayadroad take him on – High Jinx could be allowed a soft lead. Although he won last time out, Fun Mac’s form seems exposed as not quite good enough. High Jinx probably isn’t up to this any more either; but only “probably”. Had form to win this a year or two ago. If able to take a small step in that direction and if allowed his own way in front – who knows? I’ve had a few quid on him just in case it favours pace horses.

Desert Skyline 5/1, Thomas Hobson 6/1 and High Jinx 17/1 – around 7/4 combined price.

value is everything
    Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 11075

I’ve did really poorly this year in these type of Races, but I’m chancing High Jinx at around 16’s. He’s ran very well in this before, and though getting on a bit, off the back of a long lay off, I’ve seen signs of his old self, and happy to have him each way here.

joliff
    joliff
    Participant
    • Total Posts 234

Apparently Jessop rides Pallasator daily, so could be good for him that she knows him well.

It’s certainly an interesting race, as said originally I think HJ is a good ew bet with good course form-it wouldn’t be the first time a so called passed it horse rolled back the years! Easterby hopefully has him well prepared and Allan is pretty decent from the front so should make a good fist of it.

buckers
    Participant
    • Total Posts 184

I’ve been disappointed with Sheizhayedroad this season, but I will have a small win bet here for interest.

Good luck Joliff with Pallasator, he was nearly my selection here

raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2485

If Sheikhzayadroad comes back to anything like his old form he will beat this lot. This isn’t a great race quality wise and apart from the Sheikh the only one that interests me is She’s No Lady and that will be my saver but as I have said not a great race this :good: :good:

buckers
    Participant
    • Total Posts 184

Joliff I have put on a cover bet on pallasator, I hope you are right about the jockey

joliff
    joliff
    Participant
    • Total Posts 234

Just to clarify I was on High Jinx who ran with credit, unlike Pallasator who is an absolute monkey!

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 21594

One Donny race that went right for me, for a change.

value is everything

buckers
    Participant
    • Total Posts 184

It certainly is Ginger, and you are in the money yet again. Well done to you and Ham, who is also in the money yet again.

I thought I had sneaked it there but it was not to be, but good to get a bit of excitement

LostSoldier3
    LostSoldier3
    Participant
    • Total Posts 962

Ei ei boys, well played. This ‘3yos in Cup races’ angle could be a moneyspinner.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.