Does It Get Any Worse?

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham 2016 Does It Get Any Worse?

This topic contains 28 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by befair befair 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7116

Balouet Delaroque was my selection at 14/1 this morning. I felt he was a bit outpaced at a key stage and then stayed on well. I knew right away that he was fifth, despite Simon Holt stating that he might have been 4th.

I think he ran an excellent race for a horse of only five and had the ground been less quick, he may have done better still.

In the Bumper I went off Couer Blimey due to the quick ground and did High Bridge at 12/1. I felt he travelled sweetly most of the way and looked to hold every chance. I still can’t quite believe he managed to finish only sixth, he looked assured of a place but didn’t quite seem to get home.

I can’t understand those who would back Augusta Kate at 7/2. Her first race was as awful an affair as you could ever witness and her form was on soft ground. She looked poor value indeed.

What's all the fuss about Estimate on the Racing Legends Stamps?

There's always been a second rate Mare on them anyway 😉

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1863

Another good un for me betting wise

Again thanks to Ladbrokes has £20 on Ruby in the first.

Backed MOT, my biggest bet of the week in the RSA but luckily had a saver on Blaklion at 12s

Sprinter Sacre – only a small bet but who gives a f*** :yahoo:

Any Currency – Backed this in the Cross Country races since mi dad was a nipper so this was nearly up there with SS :good:

Bacardys – Stayed on well up the hill in the Bumper to grab 3rd.

Even if I have a disaster in the second half I know I won’t be murdered by the Bookies.

befair
    befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 877

Had a great day

33-1 ew It’s a freebie
    11-1 ew Blacklion

+ a lucky 15
    3-1 York Hill
    12-1 Diamond King (tip of the week by @jjsports during TRF blab)
    7-1 Diego de pharmil

4th horse was No More heroes, who looked like a winner till went lame; glad he is OK.
    Lucky with Diego, 2 horses coming to beat him fell on either side, left clear + was still nearly caught.

Might not bet any more after that; tempting fate

aaronizneez
    aaronizneez
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1586

Stilvi

I started reasonably well with my second picks Altior and Un Temps Pour Tout winning 2 out of the first three races but after that it’s a bit of a nightmare. The Govaness (RIP), Ballychorus and Willows Saviour all failed to complete.
    Wednesday, I didn’t fancy much at all but with pocket talking big time I had Long House Hall who I feel should have won and an each way at 66/1 on Doubly Clever who came fifth.

Today though has a been a bit of a nightmare with Garde La Victoire, Stiletto and Top Wood all coming to grief and to put the tin hat on it my nap of the day was If In Doubt (aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!) 😥

Not wanting to tempt fate but I can’t imagine tomorrow being any worse :unsure:

Ben_Bernanke
    Participant
    • Total Posts 402

Went down to the bookies today put on a £25 treble on Thistlecrack, Limini and Vautour. Only problem is I wrote Douvan instead of Vautour! I did write down the correct odds though (10/11) so I hope they count it as a winner haha. I’m predicting they write it off though and just count it as a double on Thistlecrack and Limini, can only hope!

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4593

It’s only day one, don’t get too down Stilvi, had years where I’ve had bad days so know how you feel. But also had years when losing badly on the first two days and still shown a good Festival profit by the end. It can change quickly.

If they don’t water overnight, good ground/speed at the trip is key.

Not sure if it had anything to do with the pep talk but things did turn around today.

Three Musketeers
    Mall Dini
    Village Vic
    Thistlecrack & Martello Tower
    Empire Of Dirt & Niceonefrankie
    Bloody Mary & Smart Talk
    A Good Skin & Knock House

So having been 0/13 I then managed four winners of the next six races (including a loser in Village Vic who I only backed on the basis Vautour wasn’t running) at 12/1, 20/1, 10/1 (ante-post) and 20/1. Add in the three each-ways and it was probably one of my best ever days. It is a pretty good feeling going into the last day knowing it isn’t going to be a losing week after all.

As a small stakes punter it is quite annoying to hear the usual general conclusions that because a load of short-priced jobs have won that somehow all punters are winning. Plenty of punters can’t afford to lump on at those type of odds and they don’t all win.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7453

Just looked at some notes I wrote from that online preview the other night and saw ‘Maldini’ 16/1 Thursday which had been underlined 4 times. Of course, I didn’t read the notes but thought to myself that Mall Dini rang a bell…[didn’t back it] 😥

befair
    befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 877

Vautour was a gift at evens, and Empire of Dirt (18-1) coninued my lucky run; great ride by Cooper; caught at the back from the start, but didn’t panic + slowly worked his way through the field

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 17437

Went down to the bookies today put on a £25 treble on Thistlecrack, Limini and Vautour. Only problem is I wrote Douvan instead of Vautour! I did write down the correct odds though (10/11) so I hope they count it as a winner haha. I’m predicting they write it off though and just count it as a double on Thistlecrack and Limini, can only hope!

Hahaha, sorry but this made me laugh.
    hope they pay you Ben.
    good luck.

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1863

The way Vautour was kicking around after the race, I’m sure he’d have a chance in the GC tomorrow :wacko:

5 winners today but a bit gutted I didn’t put a bit more on my real fancies

BLACK HERCULES – Prob should have backed win only but dud EW

OUR KAEMPFER – Ladbrokes paid 1st five so nice bonus there

VALSEUR LIDO – Profited from those who tried to keep up with Vautour.

CAUSE OF CAUSES – The way he rounded the bend I knew I was collecting :good:

£2 Lucky 15 on Garde La Victoire, Vautour, Thistelecrack and Limini paid about £51.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22240

It’s only day one, don’t get too down Stilvi, had years where I’ve had bad days so know how you feel. But also had years when losing badly on the first two days and still shown a good Festival profit by the end. It can change quickly.

If they don’t water overnight, good ground/speed at the trip is key.

Not sure if it had anything to do with the pep talk but things did turn around today.

Three Musketeers
    Mall Dini
    Village Vic
    Thistlecrack & Martello Tower
    Empire Of Dirt & Niceonefrankie
    Bloody Mary & Smart Talk
    A Good Skin & Knock House

So having been 0/13 I then managed four winners of the next six races (including a loser in Village Vic who I only backed on the basis Vautour wasn’t running) at 12/1, 20/1, 10/1 (ante-post) and 20/1. Add in the three each-ways and it was probably one of my best ever days. It is a pretty good feeling going into the last day knowing it isn’t going to be a losing week after all.

As a small stakes punter it is quite annoying to hear the usual general conclusions that because a load of short-priced jobs have won that somehow all punters are winning. Plenty of punters can’t afford to lump on at those type of odds and they don’t all win.

Ye of little faith, knew you’d turn it around Stilvi. :good:

value is everything

Ben_Bernanke
    Participant
    • Total Posts 402

Hahaha, sorry but this made me laugh.
    hope they pay you Ben.
    good luck.

No need to be sorry mate it’s a stupid/funny thing to do! Luckily they paid out the bet in full, told the cashier as I handed the slip in the mistake I’d made (was the same cashier who processed the bet) and he just said “don’t worry I knew what you meant” :yahoo:

Time to get some of it on Zubayr

wasps41
    Participant
    • Total Posts 913

It’s been a tough season for me with 35% of my bank down. Back in the game after Cheltenham. Stayed away from some of the bigger handicaps this year and went bigger on the graded races. Just a shame festival doesn’t go into the weekend as I get to watch nothing of it live

befair
    befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 877

Bad last day; my big play was on Djakadam, but Don Cossack just too good. Don’t think Cue Cars’s fall affected the result (tho we’ll never know, + I would have loved him to win) . Already looking forward to next yr, lets hope they all stay sound and they scrap the Ryanair chase

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.