Diamond Jubilee Stakes 2018

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot 2018 Diamond Jubilee Stakes 2018

This topic contains 46 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by BigG BigG 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4536

MERCHANT NAVY 10/1

While Harry Angel top horse still no win at Ascot a concern.I adore The Tin Man but not feel be same horse this season.And instead gone with aussie horse join AOB.Aidan can get aussie horses win here did it with Starspangledbanner.And while got to reverse form with Redkirk Warrior.Can see him improving now being trained by AOB

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8298

I backed Harry Angel for this race late into last season. I reckon this may the year where it all comes together for him. I went off Blue Point to some extent and his late withdrawal at Meydan was the final straw for me. Hopefully Harry Angel gets his ground this time around and not another half rice/half chips ride like the one he got at Haydock on bad ground.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Middle_Of_March
    Middle_Of_March
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2001

I’m on Harry Angel at this stage too.

A proper 6f horse. Cruising speed, turn of foot, stays the trip and is really really fast.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4536

Very happy with Merchant navy today give weight away and win like that on 1st run for AOB he be close at Ascot

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 469

Merchant Navy 5-1 ew for me.

Middle_Of_March
    Middle_Of_March
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2001

Added Bound for Knowhere to my Harry Angel bet for this.

Wesley Ward keeps mentioning him as a horse who looks like a different animal this year and says he’s expecting a big big performance that will surprise us all. He’s generally spot on when he is bullish about one – No Nay Never, Acapulco and Lady A all on their English debuts were talked up and backed before the race and they bolted up.

He ran ok in the Commonwealth Cup this year but seems to be better now.

Played him at 20/1 each way

Bound For Knowhere @ 20/1 each way

botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2377

Redkirk Warrior to win @ 6/1 BOG NRNB Golden Jubilee

No idea why Merchant Navy is shorter in the betting here. :wacko:

RW won the G1 last time quite easily three months ago and is 12 lbs better off under these conditions.

Voleur
    Voleur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 658

Agreed Botchy, I think Redkirk Warrior will definitely go off shorter than Merchant Navy once this is highlighted by pundits.

Although I am wary of O’Brien’s ability to find vast improvement in these types, 6/1 about the Warrior is too good to resist on that form line alone.

Redkirk Warrior 6/1.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19507

Harry Angel settled much better the last race
    think he’s still a decent enough price and I’ll be disappointed if he doesn’t win this

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    Pants
    Pants
    Participant
    • Total Posts 590

Harry Angel’s price reflects his poor record at Ascot. For me this is an anomaly rather than a dislike of the track. I’ll be backing him at anything around 3’s.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24428

Agree with you Pants.
    Plenty will be against Harry Angel on Ascot form. However, imo it’s not about the track, it’s about pace of the race, team tactics (what I call “non-triers”) and Harry Angel not settling. Jockey on Intelligence Cross going off far too fast for his own mount’s good… but strangely enough tactics improving Team Coolmore’s overall chances by diminishing their main rival’s. :wacko:

One Ascot defeat of Harry Angel’s on debut, not settling and would’ve got up had his rider not been so sympethetic. Greeness costing him the race – not course. On the back of that I backed him for a Goodwood maiden at around 2/1. Shortened in to odds-on before getting upset in stalls and a non-runner. Has his quirks and even more so back then. Other Ascot defeat on three year old reappearance, when yet to have prominent tactics installed, didn’t settle anywhere near fully and switched to the wrong group… but for which he’d probably have won that too.

Had Coolmore not used team tactics it last year’s Commonwealth Cup and Champion Sprint Harry Angel would have definitely won the former and possibly the latter too. In both races HA too free after being taken on up front; going too fast too soon. Winners Caravaggio and Librisa Breeze coming from off the pace having done advantageous fractions. It’s very true Harry Angel has his flaws. Although his temperament is probably getting better, doesn’t like being taken on early. ie These days can race upsides ok, but if something goes too fast he wants/needs to go too fast too (upsides). That said – at his best – is imo quite a bit better than any of these. So @ 3/1 worth taking the chance. Hopefully the “pacemaker” will be drawn away from Harry. If it wasn’t for the possibility of team tactics he’d be imo a 40 to 44% (fair 6/4 to 5/4). However, even now still probably around a 31 to 33% chance (between a fair 9/4 and 2/1 chance). So 3/1 is imo worth taking.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Gingertipster Gingertipster.
    value is everything
    jackh1092
    jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 914

Quite right Ginge on your points..

On Merchant Navy it is interesting that he really only had a 2month gap between AUS and here, so it’s not like his comeback was after a massive period off..It possible the market underestimated this and the improvement forthcoming might not be as great as expected. At his age though, you’d expect more from him that Redkirk Warrior, even with the weight adjustments….

Fascinating race, just not sure where my money will land yet…

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 469

Merchant Navy the three-year-old son of Fastnet Rock staked a claim for top sprinting honours when he asserted closed home in the Weatherbys Ireland Greenlands Stakes.

Merchant Navy is now likely to run in the Diamond Jubilee Stakes at Royal Ascot before being shipped back to his homeland for stud duties.

Moore said: “He’s a very good horse to carry a penalty and to get off a plane and come from the other side of the world.”

“He gave me a real good feel and travelled very comfortably. It was a bit of a messy race. We were split all over the place and I wanted to take my time a little bit, but it was hard to.”

“He did it very well because he travelled and cruised and quickened. Great attitude.”

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  Mike007.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 469

One would expect more improvement.

KevMcAlley
    KevMcAlley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 569

Redkirk Warrior 6/1 e/w.

Brilliant each way bet this beast. Beat MN giving him 12lbs round a bend, now runs against him at levels on a straight 6F which he prefers.

Harry Angel is a horse I really like and he could bolt up but I do think there’s something in his loss record over Ascots stiff finishing 6, especially if he gets a bit fizzed up by the crowd or a pacemaker.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.