Dewhurst Stakes Strong Confidence In Expert Eye

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Dewhurst Stakes Strong Confidence In Expert Eye

This topic contains 125 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by  Sunspangled 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    thejudge1
    thejudge1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2087

I like Emaraaty, and at 9/2 i’ll go with him. It’s never a positive when a bunch of good judges on this thread don’t even mention him, but it’s one of those things.

I guess the problem is there’s not much juice in the price, given what he has to make up on rating

But I guess you could say that about the favourite too- that the price isn’t offering much in the way of value.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by thejudge1 thejudge1.

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 834

not sure id use the word exposed as a 2 year old in a group 1 after running against each other once, us navy flag is a prime example of why not to say a 2yo is exposed to anything, although i may have bet seahenge, expert eye was by far the better horse the last time out and id be surprised should he be beaten, that being said,

Threeandfourpence coming from a maiden i wrote up about previously in the forum, which has proved pretty decent with gobi desert winning again,zabriski,london icon winning amongst a host of decent placings

Woukdnt be surprised to see him run well at the prices youv listed

charlie87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

Mendelssohn EW @ 50/1

Followed a mate of mine on the above. He wrote this:

$3m purchase and under the radar. He’s been entered for this race for a good while and will have been laid out for it, so O’Brien’s talent for improving two-year-olds in the autumn could see him step up massively on all known form and outrun those odds.

He won his maiden at the second attempt – and did it without setting the world alight – before he was a big disappointment when seventh of seven behind Seahenge in that Doncaster Group Two.

Crucially, that was raced on softish ground and his American breeding suggests he’s a fast-ground horse through and through.

By super-sire Scatt Daddy, whose progeny include leading three-year-old sprinters Lady Aurelia and Caravaggio, he’s out of the same dam as star American dirt horse Beholder, meaning he’s bred very much in the purple.

Stable jockey Ryan Moore rode him over Seahenge at Doncaster hinting that big things are expected of this horse, and he was quite open about him being a work in progress in the build-up.

O’Brien has been quoted this week saying he’s a likely runner this weekend and will be fitted with a hood to help him concentrate in his races, claiming this looks to have helped him at home.

At 50/1 and with the ground in his favour, I think the market might have missed a trick.

muggins_here
    Participant
    • Total Posts 23

I like Emaraaty, and at 9/2 i’ll go with him. It’s never a positive when a bunch of good judges on this thread don’t even mention him, but it’s one of those things.

I guess the problem is there’s not much juice in the price, given what he has to make up on rating

But I guess you could say that about the favourite too- that the price isn’t offering much in the way of value.

Yeah the price isn’t great. I just think that only the front 2 in the market could be guineas prospects. There is decent e/w value in there somewhere. I think bolgers has sent theobold on a mission to see which guineas to aim verbal at. His might just be too big at 50/1.

CharlesOlney
    CharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1334

A shame that Fleet Review isn’t hear. With Moore aboard U S Navy Flag we can assume that colt’s Coolmore’s number 1 hope and Fleet Review would surely have a fair chance of reversing form over this trip.

Maybe he’s being saved for the Breeders Cup?

I don’t really have a strong fancy here. I want to be against the favourite at the odds but am questioning that now looking at the opposition – none of which really get me excited.

thejudge1
    thejudge1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2087

A shame that Fleet Review isn’t hear. With Moore aboard U S Navy Flag we can assume that colt’s Coolmore’s number 1 hope and Fleet Review would surely have a fair chance of reversing form over this trip.

Maybe he’s being saved for the Breeders Cup?

I don’t really have a strong fancy here. I want to be against the favourite at the odds but am questioning that now looking at the opposition – none of which really get me excited.

I know what you mean but these end of season races often have a funny way of throwing up a shock result

wouldn’t be surprised if Expert Eye bombed out here, just have a funny feeling about it, he’s coming off a long absence. although I think he’s by far the most talented horse in the race- if you haven’t got on early then taking the 4-7 is completely bonkers in my view. :negative:

steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4850

Since 2006 colts have carried 9.1 rather than 9.0 in this – anyone know why the conditions were changed and was it a general Group 1 change for that age group?

By way of some trivia, 4 of the last seven runnings have been won from stall 3.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6087

Expert Eye has been blasting up the gallops at Newmarket this week and Michael Stoute is very happy with him, it’s hard to see him getting beat but on the other hand it’s definitely worth going for a big each way to place even though a lot of the bookies at Newmarket, and other courses, will only be offering Win Only (why do they do that LS3?) :unsure:

For my horse without the favourite I would have to choose US Navy Flag who seems to have found his feet now and I think he showed he could get the extra furlong when running away up the Rowley Mile last time out.
    Apart from these two plus Emaaraty I think it’s a very weak Dewhurst this year.
    Jac :rose:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4850

Unusual for Stoute to be excited by anything, is it not? He seems very taken with this horse.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 747

I have gone with Threeandfourpence at 50s EW with b365.
    His win doesn’t look anything special on paper but he got out from behind a wall of horses, in poor weather and probably softer ground than ideal, and ran on well.

botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1624

Threeandfourpence E/W 66/1 3 Places 1/4 odds

Hoping the amazing run of Mrs. Stockwell’s offspring from her mare Liscanna continues. :yes:

Last year she hit the target with Brave Anna and the year before Hit it a bomb.

GL everyone :yes:

steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4850

Threeandfourpence is well named. By War Front: there was an old story about the importance of good communication and they used an example, almost certainly apocryphal, of an officer at the front in the trenches trying to get an order back down the line by word of mouth: “Send reinforcements, we’re going to advance!”

By the time the message reach the generals it was, “Send three and fourpence, we’re going to a dance!”

LostSoldier3
    LostSoldier3
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1423

will only be offering Win Only (why do they do that LS3?) :unsure:
    :rose:

Bad each-way issues, Jac. The notion of an e/w bet in a race with this kind of shape is way out of date and not worth offering. Win-only and place-only much better for straight punters and bookmakers alike.

As a few chisellers on this thread have spied, you’re getting a massive place arb if you bet each-way in this race. For example, Emaraaty e/w @ 11/2 (1/5 odds) gets you a bit more than EVS on the place. Currently 1.65 to place on the machine. Not something bookmakers want to encourage for obvious reasons.

CharlesOlney
    CharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1334

Well D-Day is here (see what I did there?) and I’m with Botchy having nabbed 66/1 (e/w) about Threeandfourpence with the thinking that surely Heffernan is a positive and this is still a seriously well bred colt. I then think I got a bit caught up in the moment and I ended up backing both U S Navy Flag and Seahenge at 9/1 and 14/1 respectively. So I’ve got far more involved than I wanted and have backed 3 of the 4 Coolmore horses which I know must make me look like a bit of a blond punter but I promise I’m not. I’ve just decided to properly go and take on the favourite and it just so happens those with Group winning form are from Ballydoyle.

potato
    Participant
    • Total Posts 18

I was very surprised to learn that Stoute has had just two 2yo group 1 winners in his entire training career. Surely a great chance of a 3rd one today.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.