David Elsworth

Home Forums Horse Racing David Elsworth

This topic contains 19 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  mdwillis 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

mdwillis
    • Total Posts 82

Can anyone tell me does David Elsworth still train jumpers these days or has he turned his back on jump racing once and for all. Considering that he trained Desert Orchid all those years ago it would be a shame if he no longer trained jumpers in favour for boring flat racing. Maybe if the likes of JP McManus or Trevor Hemmings sent him a couple of bumper horses or novice hurdlers perhaps that could persuade him back to NH racing. I would like to see David Elsworth train hurdlers and chasers again or otherwise Dessie would be turning in his grave.

Noble Locks
    • Total Posts 22

I have no idea but he has run a horse called Tigerbythetale (which he owns) with ‘A.P.’ on board in a couple of juvenile bumpers recently.

robnorth
    robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4125

According to the AtTheRaces database, David Elsworth has had 5 NH Flat runners and 2 hurdle runners in the past 12 months. On that basis I think we can assume he has all but ended his jumps operation.

Rob

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3068

I had the good fortune to own a couple of horses trained by David in the early 80’s, one of which won over hurdles, the other on the flat.

As a result, he always stops for a chat when our paths cross on the racecourse and he was adamant a few years back that he no longer wanted to train jumpers as he increasingly dreaded the almost inevitable injuries and the business of telling the owners. Most of his NH owners had either died or left the game as well.

Now he’s based in Newmarket, he doesn’t have the facilities anyway.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1082

I would just mention that to AP that the jumps facilities in Newmarket are as good as most places with possible exception of Lambourn.

As well as all the excellent all-weather gallops the Links provides a mile and half of turf gallops for jumpers, steeplechase fences, hurdles, a loose school, French style hurdles for schooling and an all-weather pole jumping track. A 2 1/2 furlong all weather schooling strip also opened in May 2008.

Lucy Wadham, Don Cantillon, Neil King etc are doing quite well here.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3068

Adrian,

Point taken, and having been beaten by a Don Cantillon runner recently at Wolverhampton, I’m well aware of his skills.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2967

I also recall being at some Kings Cross bookies the day Barnbrook Again made his chasing debut at Devon & Exeter – 8/15 I think, and got me out of a **** of a lot of trouble!

I see your Grammer is imroving :lol: FF

David Elsworth trained some cracking horses over the years and connections landed some hefty gambles in his hay day.

I take it the D. Elsworth currently riding is related?

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7650

He handled the ‘Dessie’ years very well, didn’t he, instictively knowing what to do with the horse; I was watching the last race that Dessie won on the telly and can still see the look on Mr Elseworths face when he came back..everyone was in raptures about the success but he knew that it was all over…if I remember right he sort of stroked his chin and quiety said ‘he found it hard today’..difficult to believe that years later he would be training oneof the bravest and most popular horses to run on the flat and that he would be the one to lose his life on the racecourse; how perverse is that.

graysonscolumn
    graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7112

As far as I’m aware Dominic Elsworth is no more related to David Elsworth as you are to Billy Fury. 8)

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 602

I would just mention that to AP that the jumps facilities in Newmarket are as good as most places with possible exception of Lambourn.

As well as all the excellent all-weather gallops the Links provides a mile and half of turf gallops for jumpers, steeplechase fences, hurdles, a loose school, French style hurdles for schooling and an all-weather pole jumping track. A 2 1/2 furlong all weather schooling strip also opened in May 2008.

Lucy Wadham, Don Cantillon, Neil King etc are doing quite well here.

If you have a copy of "A Long Time Gone", Chris Pitt’s excellent history of the closed racecourses of the 20th Century, I think you will find that The Links used to be Newmarkets National Hunt track which ran from 1894 to 1905 (I have just looked that up)

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7650

An excellent book; I’ve also got his ‘When Birmingham went Racing’..he runs our racing club

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2967

As far as I’m aware Dominic Elsworth is no more related to David Elsworth as you are to Billy Fury. 8)

gc

I remember Anselmo but can’t remember Billy Fury :lol:

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24494

Anyone know if there are any books about Stockbridge Racecourse?

Did a job for the owner of the farm who owns the land. Just fields of crops now. Although just off their property are remains of the Grandstand, covered in ivy. An all-weather gallop goes right past it, which was up to this year used by Ken Cunningham-Brown. Mick Channon began his training career there too.

Last used on Coronation Day in 1953 (unless that was just the Grandstand for a function). Salisbury racecourse replaced it.

There is a stained glass window of The Tetrach (once trained there) in the church at Stockbridge. With (I believe) pictures at the Grosvenor Hotel there.

Mark

value is everything
    robnorth
    robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4125

Mark

Days at the Races: A History of the Stockbridge Racecourse – And the Day and Cannon Families That Ran it

by Anthony C. Raper

Paperback: 76 pages
    Publisher: Andover History & Archaeology Society (23 Sep 2006)

Amazon have it listed, priced £7.50, with 7 to 10 days delivery.

The course wasn’t used in the 20th century for racing. Last recorded meeting was 1898.

Rob

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2967

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Days-Races-Stoc … 090375522X

Don’t say I’m not good to you :wink:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.