Cheltenham now Soft

Home Forums Horse Racing Cheltenham now Soft

This topic contains 7 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  droffats 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4850

And it’s reportedly raining heavily at the moment. Hold your bets!

Soft should favour the likes of Three Faces West and Le Prezien in the main chases. I doubt it will do Minella Rocco any favours as far as preferred surface goes although the trade-off for a serious stamina test might balance that out. We could see a shock or two if the rain continues.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

viktors89
    viktors89
    Participant
    • Total Posts 124

Wow guys, did you see THAT?

Looked like a superclass horse in the making

phil walker
    phil walker
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1310

I was amazed how bad the ground got at Cheltenham today, I’m probably wrong but wondering if this could be anything to do with over-watering the course over the year?

MarkTT
    MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2056

The official going for the last few races was Soft, Good to Soft in places.

Those places must have been the pavements and grandstands.

Chivers1987
    Chivers1987
    Participant
    • Total Posts 715

Met office and bbc weather predicted light smatterings of rain over the course of a few hours. I’ve learned to expect the worst if there is any mention of possible rain in the 24 hr forecast. I almost always bet the night or 2 nights before a race and there were 4 occasions on the flat earlier this season that burned my fingers. 2 mudlarks backed with good to soft in places already in the description and a shit load of rain on the horizon were dealt a blow when absolutely no precipitation arrived and the ground dried to good all over.

2 others I backed wanted fast/good ground. Both times about 1-2mm was predicted, even 5-6 wouldnt have done any harm. I think an average of 20mm arrived on both those occasions and both horses were left in the race. I was so confident that the area wouldn’t be affected that I placed said bets with no cash out option.

Basically what I’m saying is, if there’s potential for some rain, expect the worst.

Don't Mug Yourself

TheBluesBrother
    TheBluesBrother
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1003

The official going for the last few races was Soft, Good to Soft in places.
    Those places must have been the pavements and grandstands.

I had the chase course at -1.07s/f (heavy) and the hurdles course at -0.70s/f (soft).

Cheltenham 18 Nov 2017

Race winner distance rating
    12:40 Apple’s Shakira 2m½f 108
    01:15 Black Corton 3m½f 108
    01:50 Perfect Candidate 3m3½f 117
    02:25 Splash Of Ginge 2m4½f 113
    03:00 Thomas Campbell 3m1½f 82
    03:30 Coole Cody 2m5f 97
    04:00 Posh Trish 2m½f 41

Mike.

Flyers Nap
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33

Brilliant MarkTT…..Summed up perfectly.

You are not alone Phil,the dreaded Watering was mentioned middle of this week.

droffats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 388

I was there and it rained all day from about 10 in the morning until just after racing had finished. It can only have been heavy and in fairness they did change the going after I think the fourth race to heavy soft in places. A lot of horses failed to handle the going so you can put a line through some of the form however the first winner was impressive

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.