Cheltenham Bets 2018

Home Forums Cheltenham 2018 Cheltenham Bets 2018

This topic contains 215 replies, has 42 voices, and was last updated by  Autumnal 8 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 216 total)
  • Author

charlie87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 462

The only bet I have had so far is Blow By Blow to win any race @ 14/1. Beat some decent horses on the flat (Moon Racer, Bacardys, Death Duty) and skipped jumping last season due to a small injury, and connections wanting to preserve the horse’s novice status. Being a WPM horse I am sure the Supreme/Neptune debate will go on for months, but 14’s to cover both seems decent and I was impressed with his win in the Punchestown Grade One Bumper.

bozlike
    bozlike
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1596

Gordon Elliott horse Charlie. Moved in the Gigginstown re-jig.

Boz
    @TomBoardman87

charlie87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 462

Gordon Elliott horse Charlie. Moved in the Gigginstown re-jig.

Oh yes of course, my bad.

charlie87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 462

About to start work on my AP book for Cheltenham. Really looking forward to it, although I am going to modify what I do this year as last year far too much of my AP book was dead before the off. I am going to avoid specific races and stick more (especially this early) on the ‘to win any race market’. I am also going to avoid acca’s this early and stick win bets at bigger prices on the exchanges (hardly ground breaking stuff).

I don’t think anyone could argue that AP betting this early if not rife with risk –health, target and winning all need to go right and plenty can go wrong. That being said, I am definitely getting stuck in to some horses that have a clear target and are likely to run no more than 2-3 times between now and March. I don’t see the point of letting (what can often but not always be) an easy seasonal reappearance against inferior opposition reduce the odds, as well as maybe 1 more competitive run between Nov – Feb. Of course there are exceptions where we need to wait and see, Buveur D’Air being the best most recent example after switching from chasing to hurdling mid season, but horses like Altior @ 13/8 (CC), Nichols Canyon @ 6/1 (SH), Buveur D’Air @ 4/1 (CH) are good examples.

charlie87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 462

I have backed Arctic Fire @ 80’s for the Champion Hurdle.

I wouldn’t normally get stuck in this early but I assume he stays hurdling and will be campaigned for the Champion Hurdle. Yes, Buveur D’air looks a good thing, but 4.6 is way too short at this stage and IMO Arctic Fire would not need to improve on that 2nd to Faugheen to beat Buveur D’air. He is 8 going on 9 and there is no reason to believe he cannot recapture that form, especially when you look at how he won the county off top weight having not raced for 400 days. I can see him doing a Rooster Booster who won the County in 2002 and then Champion in 2003.

I think that 2nd to Faugheen was very impressive and a completely underrated performance. Faugheen was gifted an early lead and Arctic Fire closed him down to just over a length up the hill. If you watch the footage back Willie said post-race that Arctic Fire had the most potential to improve out of the first three home.

There are plenty of horses ahead of Arctic Fire in the market that are likely to race elsewhere, or never race again.

We see time and time again where a horse places in the CH one year, then goes on to win it (Binocular, Punjabi, Brave Inca, Hors La Loi III, all recent examples).

rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 435

Haven’t had a bet yet but you can guarantee that
    ANNAMIX
    will be going into single figures for the supreme before he ever sets foot on a race course.
    2nd in the prix de saint voir at vichy when tenderly handled trained by guillame macaire.

Now owned by (ms s ricci) rich ricci and trained by willie mullins.

The form has worked out pretty awful with plenty of runners from the race since. But he’s been in the yard since October 2016 and improvement is inevitable.
    I won’t be surprised to see plenty of hype for annamix

rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 435

ANNAMIXFollow  

HONGRE (11/12/2014) PS GRI

Born on 08/05/2013 

By MARTALINE out of TASHTIYANA (DOYOUN)

Trainer WP. MULLINS

Owners MME S. RICCI

Breeders JL. POMEYROL

Premiums eligible Oui

EBF Eligible Oui

Horse Form : (16)2h

Certificat d’exportation non déposé

Race record             Performances             Entries             Pedigree                   

19/09/2016

VICHY

Hurdles only – 3500 m

Prizemoney

+

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 11808

Always a good sign when you’re back in the fold Rocky, means the jumpers are on the way back :yahoo:

Best of luck with all your Ante-Posts this year, and hope it’s a good one for you.

PS….do you want me to merge your other 2 threads?

rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 435

Thankyou and yes please vtc :good: I’m not sure what happened. I must have pressed the wrong button lol.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 11808

lol, that’s it sorted mate. You could probably edit it down to 2 posts if you want, and I could delete the duplicate one, but you can let me know what you think.

atthepost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 103

I have done a few multiple combinations. Just small stakes lucky 15s & 31s. These are the horses I fancy

ARKLE- Petit Mouchoir 16/1 & Tombstone 33/1

SUPREME- Samcro 20/1

NEPTUNE- Blow by blow & Samcro 20/1

CHAMPION HURDLE- Buveur dair 4/1

Mares- Apple Jade 3/1 & Augusta Kate 14/1

World hurdle- Nichols canyon 7/1 & apples jade 14/1

JLT- Finians oscar 12/1

GOLD CUP- Douvan & Our duke 12/1

X country- cause of causes 9/1

:good:

charlie87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 462

Couple of quid (literally) on the following for the GC:

Un Temps Pour Tout 500’s
    Bellshill 400’s
    Saphir Du Rheu 350’s
    Valseur Lido 180’s
    Blaklion 200’s
    Don Poli 300’s
    Cause of Causes 380’s

befair
    befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 873

Un Temps Pour Tout 500’s
    Bellshill 400’s
    Saphir Du Rheu 350’s
    Valseur Lido 180’s
    Blaklion 200’s
    Don Poli 300’s
    Cause of Causes 380’s

Good price for Saphir Du Rheu; wasn’t that far behind in GC, may be improvement to come

charlie87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 462

Un Temps Pour Tout 500’s
    Bellshill 400’s
    Saphir Du Rheu 350’s
    Valseur Lido 180’s
    Blaklion 200’s
    Don Poli 300’s
    Cause of Causes 380’s

Good price for Saphir Du Rheu; wasn’t that far behind in GC, may be improvement to come

Cheers pal. Never been a fan of Saphir Du Rheu – a ‘nearly horse’ if ever there was one, but as you say he wasn’t that far behind in GC and if improvement does come then he could go well again. PN thinks very highly of SDR – although he talks about every horse like they’re the next Kauto Star!

FrankieMac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 74

Daft question alert – anyone have thoughts on whether Charbel is likely to be aimed at the CC or the Ryanair?

I’m still not totally convinced Altior would have had him beat in the Arkle and see no reason why connections would look to avoid Altior or Douvan in favour of going up in trip. Though the AP odds would suggest that is believed to be the aim…

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 216 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.